Author Topic: Chopin Recordings  (Read 230009 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Chopin Recordings
« Reply #1460 on: May 18, 2019, 04:32:49 AM »

I feel quite inspired by this. He plays delicately, there's never anything very loud and uncouth, he creates poetic textures, intricate as lace. And maybe most impressively of all the rubato seems natural and fluid. In some ways he reminds me of Moravec, maybe it's his reticence about strong dynamic variation. I find myself enjoying it for longer than with Moravec in fact, though that's of no consequence to anyone but me I suppose. I don't know what type of piano, credit is given in the booklet to the tuner but I don't know if he's done anything special.

I just mentioned Goerner's reticence about exploring the extremes of a modern piano's dynamic range, there's another reticence too -- an emotional reticence. Or rather, an emotional complexity. I hear in this interpretation very little by way of jejune romantic effusion. There is expression aplenty, but it's complex, nuanced. These nocturnes are full of relief, full of twists and turns.

In the booklet there's an essay by someone called Christophe Ghristi which says this, which I thought was food for thought, and it just may be the there's some mutual inspiration between copy writer and musician here (not that I know much about Liszt, still less about Field, so take that with a pinch of salt! But it is lyrical, and it does make me want to hear Goerner play Mozart!)

r. If we have
to look for a source for Chopin’s inspiration, we should rather look to the fantasies of Mozart,
with their sense of freedom and constantly changing lyrical flow. The other inspiration, one
immediately adopted by Liszt, was romantic Italian bel canto, sublimated into its idealized
form by Bellini and Donizetti.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 04:34:56 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen