Author Topic: Amp III  (Read 2744 times)

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
Re: Amp III
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2018, 07:35:15 AM »
The one I have is a Lollar. He makes two or three versions, but none are authentic. Neither are the Pete Biltoft(?), TK Smith, or Duncan versions. As far as I know the only reproduction of that pickup that uses the correct long cobalt magnets is this one http://www.ccpickups.co.uk/about.html

But I'm happy with the Lollar because on my guitars it sounds the way it sounds, rather than the way a real Charlie Christian should sound. It's kind of a wide range P90 with scooped mids. I'd probably be just as happy with an underworld vintage style P90, but I'm too cheap to spend money. ;D
Unfortunately, there's a drawback to the Lollar in that it's noisy. So that's why my other Tele has Bardens. And my excuse for needing that other Tele is...and this is kind of a secret... since the start of this year I occasionally play in public in front of people. Some of the venues have wiring and lights or whatever that don't play nice with single coils.

Anyway, good to hear you reached a decision about speaker choice. I hope it's at least in the ballpark of how you expect it to be with your amp. :)
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2018, 01:03:37 PM »

I may be on the verge of achieving the impossible, being an American who has figured out how to buy an alnico speaker from Tayden, who don't seem to want to sell speakers to anyone anywhere. They used to, but something went wrong between them and their distributor and now they are making speakers under different names and I somehow managed to trace one of their aliases back to the source. Do I buy one? I haven't decided yet.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2018, 12:02:45 AM »

I may be on the verge of achieving the impossible, being an American who has figured out how to buy an alnico speaker from Tayden, who don't seem to want to sell speakers to anyone anywhere. They used to, but something went wrong between them and their distributor and now they are making speakers under different names and I somehow managed to trace one of their aliases back to the source. Do I buy one? I haven't decided yet.

Cool.
If you ever do encounter any (or further) problems buying stuff from the UK for an amp or guitar, feel free to hit me up and if I can help I'll be glad to do so.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2018, 02:52:56 PM »

Once again I only have 3 amps. I gave my little Frenzel along with my small duct port cab to my brother.

I gave him my second JBL! Why I do that? Now I'm going to have to convince him he doesn't like the sound of it (too hifi? yeah I'll insinuate the metal dome makes it ice picky).

After testing a bit with one of my guitars I've decided that the new Fane speaker is terrific. It has a sparkle to it that's perfect for a Voxoid circuit like my new one.

Next week I'm taking the Ampegosaurus to Maine where I'm giving it a major overhaul make it more faithful to the Geminis of old.

So now I have Amp I (Beatles first trip to America), Amp II (the Ampegosaur) and Amp III, the new one.

I've also been researching the various versions of the Peavey Bandit, and I see it gets lots of respect from tubesters.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2018, 05:20:22 AM »
     Once again I only have 3 amps. I gave my little Frenzel along with my small duct port cab to my brother.

I gave him my second JBL! Why I do that? Now I'm going to have to convince him he doesn't like the sound of it (too hifi? yeah I'll insinuate the metal dome makes it ice picky).

After testing a bit with one of my guitars I've decided that the new Fane speaker is terrific. It has a sparkle to it that's perfect for a Voxoid circuit like my new one.

Next week I'm taking the Ampegosaurus to Maine where I'm giving it a major overhaul make it more faithful to the Geminis of old.

So now I have Amp I (Beatles first trip to America), Amp II (the Ampegosaur) and Amp III, the new one.

I've also been researching the various versions of the Peavey Bandit, and I see it gets lots of respect from tubesters.

You're clearly both generous and a gentleman - really, making that gift is a cool gesture.

Glad to hear the Fane is bustin' yer chops!

You know why I like the Bandit? - enough clean headroom. And that Lollar CC pickup (or as I pointed out, an underwound/vintage style P90) pushes it nicely. Jimmy Raney/Barney Kessell/early Kenny Burrell - only with me behind the signal, sans talent.  ;D

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2018, 12:57:27 PM »
     Lollar makes a vintage style alnico staple pickup, a variant of the P-90 that was used in the '50s Les Paul "Black Beauty" in the neck position, with a regular P-90 in the bridge.

The staple is considered the ultimate P-90 by some gearheads.

I'm in Maine vacationing and amping, too. The Ampegosaur is going to be overhauled to make it more faithful to the original. Mr. Arkham is expert on Ampegs, and we've discussed what's necessary, a rebuilt preamp and a pretty special driver/inverter scheme we kind of arrived at separately. The research I had to do was quite intense and just as I was about to suggest we do something very Sunn/Dynaco like he emails me to say why don't we use a common pentode for the driver stage and keep the 12AU7 as a cathodyne inverter and I reply holy shit! I just saw a kit company that has a Sunn clone with exactly that! Well, that about wraps it up, now we've got to do it.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 09:29:41 AM by drogulus »

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2018, 07:25:53 AM »

I don't know whether I should get into this or not, so I will. None of the speakers I have, some good, some great, sound as good for guitar and bass as my archaic JBL hifi speaker.

Unfortunately when I play my 5 string bass and hit the low B (30hz fundamental) it makes a fluttery sound, an unmistakable sign that the cone is acting like it's in free air. The tone ring cab is tuned higher, suitable for almost all of the musical instrument speakers that existed when the cab was designed including JBL D120Fs, Jensens, Oxfords and Utahs. The 123, though, was not intended for musical instrument use. It's designed for a variety of pro audio and home hifi uses. In a reflex cab it needs a very low tuning to control the lowest frequencies.

Either I need to put it in a different cab, or try something else. The something else is called a high pass filter. Here is one:

This one can be adjusted to remove troublesome low frequencies while leaving bass frequencies above that untouched. I can set the frequency exactly where the fluttering appears while having full use of the bass tone control. I can turn the bass control all the way up, set volume at just above where I usually set it, then move the filter up to where the flutter at 30hz disappears. That should be it, the filter is a set and forget kind of thing, and now I can set the amp tone controls for best SQ while protecting the speaker from overexertion and sonic nasties.

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.