Author Topic: CD ripping  (Read 5024 times)

Traverso and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline pwatel

Re: CD ripping
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2017, 12:33:26 AM »
Hello,
I am the designer of Musichi, thanks for the nice comments you wrote in this thread. Let me answer, some of the points you made.

1) Gapeless issues: this is best answered in this post https://musichieu.wordpress.com/how-to-use-an-external-player/

2) We do believe in the division of labor and we tried to optimize each task in the most efficient way in each application of the suite. For example a ripper is just to transform a CD tracks into files, with the option of pre-tagging or later tag them with the tagger. It should not be in the player, which is designed to just to play. Bear in mind MusiCHI is one of the very few software which is multi libraries [because IMHO the interface needed for classical is different than the one needed for jazz or pop]; So when you rip I have no idea if you want to include these tracks in the classical, world music or else lib.
Same if you edit metadata in the tagger, to have the changes reflected in the lib you need to refresh it and we have tool to reconcile the file system and the libraries, and we did not want to do accomplish this as a background task. I want the user to be in control, not the software [Philosophical choice :-)], this is why you need a few more clicks to have all synchronized.

3) For missing performers, composers you are very welcome to send the list by mail, and we will included it ASAP and release and new version of the database. A lot of users do this already.

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2017, 03:13:15 AM »
The weakest part is simply the data. Some companies are much better about having their most recent entries in the data bases. And because there are only really two databases it accesses, it can be an issue (although it also directly accesses Amazon as well). On the other hand, it does give you a way to import tables, but I haven't figured that out exactly yet. Anyway, that is mostly an issue with the databases and could happen in any ripper/player.

On the musichi side, it still doesn't have some of the less mainstream composers, conductors, performers, etc in the software database. For example, I can enter Smith, and it will give me every performer with that names (first or last) and I can choose to insert (in the format I have pre-selected), but if Adahoo Smith isn't in the database, I need to enter by hand. It's not a big deal most of the time, but some are a pain if there are a lot of performers to enter (like an opera). That said, once you enter it for one disc, it's a snap to load them all up and copy across the discs (so no need to do it every time). They (musichi) do update it (the internal databases) periodically, so it is always improving.

I like how customizable it is and how easy it is to fix errors across discs. You can add/change categories quite easily.  The program can be cumbersome in how the libraries are used - one program organizes/manages, one rips, one tags, and one plays. You can link them, but some things can be a multi-step process. Still, once you've ripped everything, this issue mostly goes away. On the other hand, I love how the tagger allows you to upload whatever discs you want and edit just them (isolated from the rest of your collection).

For popular composers, the database also includes the pieces (searchable by name, opus #, or other catalog # as appropriate). This is a great feature that does allow you to better organize some works, for example, Beethoven piano sonatas. I can change the style/format of the text too, so you can personalize it (to a large degree) on how you like to see the names of pieces. 

Their player always adds a gap between tracks when playing, so I have it linked to media monkey to open automatically. it's easy to set up, but not sure why they did it. It only really affects operas and a few other types of pieces.

What I've noticed is that I put more information into the tags than I used to. I think it's because the tagger element is more textual, and I can more easily paste the data than in some of the fancier, but graphic heavy rippers/players. I think it also works that way because there is no need to scroll. The 'pane' for each track/disc shows all the key info on the screen, whereas many others seem to put each track, for example, in one row that just keeps going on until it runs out of text to show you. They do that too, but if you make a selection, it brings up a window for just that selection (without the scrolling). I suppose it is a bit like iTunes in this regard.

So overall, despite some small issues, I rather like it, mostly for the tagging. Anyone more interested in a slick looking program with lots of graphic elements might find it less appealing.

Thanks for the detailed reply! I think the MusiCHI writer will chime in shortly, himself...

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2017, 05:36:25 AM »
Amazon is ending it's unlimited storage for $60/year.  Bastards.  Now I'll have to find another cheap online storage solution to exploit.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2017, 08:49:31 AM »
Backblaze:

Excellent customer support
Easy user interface

The initial upload is slow, but that's inevitable, mine (2Tb) is not yet finished, I still have 350,000 MB to go, but it's coming to an end, I expect it will take about 3 weeks all in all.

Upload speeds slow down in the initial upload the more you upload. That's because there's a "deduplication" programme which has more to check. The more RAM the better of course. Mine took no time at all for the first third, the last third is going in at about 100GB or less in 24 hours. It's not a real problem, apart from my impatience. My upload speeds seem to average at about 15mbps. The computer's still useable but the UI is arthritic. But streaming music from it is fine and I just ran a virus check with no problem, and this post is done on it, I don't use it for other things really.

Music files are particularly slow to upload because Backblaze makes a copy of any file over 30MB before uploading.

There are some setting adjustments worth making for the initial upload - throttle to max and no. of threads to max.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 08:57:53 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2017, 08:45:28 PM »
I have very positive feelings about Backblaze. Once the initial backup is made you set the controls to automatic and subsequent backups occur automatically and slowly in the background, and with no noticeable effects  on the computer or network. It took 3 weeks to upload 2TB. Good find Todd, thanks for mentioning it.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2017, 09:37:23 AM »
The most wonderful thing about Backblaze in its "continuous" mode  is that it detects when a new file is created and invisibly backs it up, that's to say you just don't notice it's happening and you don't have to do anything to make it happen. I downloaded a CD at about 3pm today and by 7 it was there in Backblaze. It really is impressive.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 09:39:53 AM by Mandryka »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2018, 04:54:29 AM »
I've just had the experience of changing the computer which I use for my server, with some possibly useful lessons.

1. In the process of making the change, I have rejected dbpoweramp. I discovered that foobar2000 can do most everything dbpoweramp can do for ripping and for file conversion, and more so when it comes to tagging. And it's free.

2. The transition was very easy to manage in backblaze and once again their customer service was outstanding.

3. I have been using syncBack free for onsite backup for a while now (it is by far the best backup programme I've found), and once again the transition was completely painless.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 04:56:54 AM by Mandryka »

Offline Spineur

• Veteran member
  • Magdalena Kozena, Felicity Lott with love
  • Currently Listening to:
    Mozart & friends
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2018, 06:17:36 AM »
I just found that having the physical CD is a always a good thing.  I wanted to listen to Satie, Le fils des étoiles (Lubimov) and to my dismay, I didnt find it on my server.  I was pretty sure I had ripped it.  Somehow, I forgot to transfer the files from my computer, or they somehow evaporated.  Well, that meant a double ripping job for this one.

I have been using a QNAP server for the storage and home streaming.  Besides this anecdote, it has worked well for me.

A woman voice glides like the wind
Of black, of damp, of night
And all it touches in this flight
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2018, 06:25:14 AM »
One way it's easy to lose a ripped CD is if you've made a tagging error, normally for me a spelling issue. For example I was going mad the other day trying to find a recording of something by Schoenberg, but it turned out I'd tagged it Schönberg.

This is the sort of thing which makes it good to have a backup which mirrors your music server, rather than just adding all changes as new objects to the backup incrementally.