Author Topic: Desert Island Discs  (Read 4148 times)

Offline André

• Veteran member
Re: Desert Island Discs
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2017, 02:13:57 PM »
My apologies! I did search 'Desert Island Discs' in the search facility but nothing came up and I'd forgotten that I'd shown off about my mention on the programme. Think it was probably VW rather that Schoenberg! Interesting choices.

I, too, searched for the same 3 words today and only got directed to hundreds of WAYLT entries.  Todd helpfully provided me with this thread’s link.

Offline Jay F

• Veteran member
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2017, 05:15:55 PM »

1. Before I listened to classical much, I would buy movie music. I thought for some reason that this would have the Kramer v. Kramer theme. It didn't, but I came to love it anyway.

2. How could anything be this good, and I'd never heard it? This was in 1987, maybe, my very first set of Mahler CDs, to go with my second CD player. I was so tired of buying my old pop/rock LPs on CDs. Classical came along at just the right time.

NO PICTURE
3. Schubert's Quintet D956. I have five unmarked versions in iTunes that I downloaded when I participated in a shootout here a few years back. Each is one long file that includes all the movements. They're marked K1 (52:40), K2 (53:51), K3 (53:36), K4 (55:14), and K5 (52:53). If anyone has any idea who's doing which version, I'd love to know. OTOH, I love the piece so much, I'm happy listening to all the versions.

4. I did not like Beethoven's Piano Sonatas until I heard this one disc. I had bought Gilels, Kempff twice, Goode, Gould, and others, and the music didn't pierce the ear-brain barrier. And then this disc came out, and I loved it. Now there's a box set with all of Lewis' sonatas.

5. One of the ones that convinced me that yes, I really do like classical music.

6. More movie music. I have the earlier edition.

7. This is all I can think of now. I still have to consider chamber music, which I became more familiar with in this century. I love Shostakovich's String Quartets in particular. I can listen to this box set for days on end (I have the first edition; I don't think there was a remastering). It suits my mood. I wish the Jerusalem Quartet would record more of DSCH.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 05:19:32 PM by Jay F »

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2017, 06:59:18 PM »
NO PICTURE
3. Schubert's Quintet D956. I have five unmarked versions in iTunes that I downloaded when I participated in a shootout here a few years back. Each is one long file that includes all the movements. They're marked K1 (52:40), K2 (53:51), K3 (53:36), K4 (55:14), and K5 (52:53). If anyone has any idea who's doing which version, I'd love to know. OTOH, I love the piece so much, I'm happy listening to all the versions.
K1 (can't believe this is out of print already lol)
K2
K3
K4
K5

Offline Jay F

• Veteran member
« Reply #83 on: October 31, 2017, 06:54:29 AM »
K1 (can't believe this is out of print already lol)
K2
K3
K4
K5
Thank you so much. That was my favorite blind listening experience.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2017, 03:03:13 AM »

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK