Author Topic: Jorg Demus  (Read 441 times)

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
Jorg Demus
« on: May 06, 2017, 10:32:57 AM »
For many years, I have seen his LPs in cheapo bins for a buck or two--usually on the Musical Heritage Society. This label had many great artists, but the boring (black and white text only) covers make them rather invisible to many collectors. However, I buy them whenever I find an interesting one. Lately I've read--don't remember where--some people speak very highly of his recordings, especially the Bach. What are your thoughts on this pianist, and what are the must-have recordings?
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
Re: Jorg Demus
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 10:52:40 AM »
For many years, I have seen his LPs in cheapo bins for a buck or two--usually on the Musical Heritage Society. This label had many great artists, but the boring (black and white text only) covers make them rather invisible to many collectors. However, I buy them whenever I find an interesting one. Lately I've read--don't remember where--some people speak very highly of his recordings, especially the Bach. What are your thoughts on this pianist, and what are the must-have recordings?

I'm far from being an expert on pianism but I quite like his Schumann cycle.

Not the most up-to-date sound, but committed and engaging performances.

Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools. - Romans 1:22, KJV

Offline Turner

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 11:01:09 AM »
On MHS, there´s also a complete Debussy LP set, which I have, except for one LP.

I remember this set as quite good, but competition in this field is very fierce.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 11:04:29 AM by Turner »

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 11:16:09 AM »
I can recommend this

He also composes. I have no idea of what the music is like.

Note: Amazon sells these in the form of made to order CD-Rs.

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 12:26:24 PM »
Among his most famous recordings are probably some Lieder discs with Fischer-Dieskau, Ameling and others (there is a whole bunch, I am only giving two examples). Together with Badura-Skoda he also was an early pioneer of historic fortepianos. There is a bunch of such recordings both solo (Schubert sonatas) and with the Collegium Aureum, e.g. Trout quintet, several Mozart concerti etc. but not all have appeared on CD and even fewer will be easily available.

Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 06:02:27 AM »
I've written this a few times on GMG but the concert I saw of Demus in Japan playing WTC was so great!

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 12:02:37 PM »
I'm curious what he did with the partitas. He has a hoard of devoted students here in Japan that he comes over to teach and play for. Great artist.

I do not know the recording.
res severa verum gaudium

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK