Author Topic: Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!  (Read 1334412 times)

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
Re: Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!
« Reply #24800 on: April 12, 2018, 05:35:44 AM »

previously the album of hers I've played the least - but todays listen really clicked

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #24801 on: April 12, 2018, 10:28:36 AM »

I've been a fan since first hearing her "Bluebird Wine" on Armed Forces Network radio in Germany in 1975. Thank god the DJ told me who was singing. I went into Mannheim the next day and found Pieces of the Sky.

Sarge

Cool account.  8)

My discovery of Emmylou is...I'll say from the outset that when it comes to playing guitar, I'm a hack. ;D So, with that in mind, some pro I was shooting photos of his guitar collection for (a book) gave me a cassette of a guitar player named Albert Lee playing a tune called 'Country Boy' and kind of challenged me to learn how to play it; I just about managed a ham fisted version of the intro  ;D ;D ;D
Years later I read an interview with Joe Walsh of The Eagles who basically said "Listen to Albert Lee as part of The Hot Band on Emmylou's 'Luxury Liner' album. So I did. Heh. After that, some girl who worked on reception at the local radio station bought me a birthday (or xmas?) gift of 'Blue Kentucky Girl' - and that was sweet listening. :)

“Tell me,” she finally whispered, “is it fun for you to torture me? I should really hate you. Ever since we've known each other, you've given me nothing but suffering.” Her voice trembled, she leaned toward me, lowered her head onto my chest. “Perhaps,” I thought, “this is exactly why you loved me."

Offline Undersea

« Reply #24802 on: April 12, 2018, 07:03:02 PM »
NP:

Jean-Michel Jarre - Oxygène

Will need to pick-up Oxygène #3 at some stage... :)
Hydrogen is an odorless colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people. - Edward R. Harrison

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #24803 on: April 12, 2018, 10:08:31 PM »

v/a - War Whoops And Medicine Songs (1964)
Ramblin Jack Elliott - Jack Takes The Floor (1958)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 10:26:00 PM by SimonNZ »

Offline Undersea

« Reply #24804 on: April 13, 2018, 08:42:24 PM »
NP:

Joni Mitchell - For The Roses
Hydrogen is an odorless colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people. - Edward R. Harrison

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #24805 on: April 14, 2018, 12:25:01 AM »

Having, like others, recently listened to Mona Bone Jakon and once again enjoying my favourite tracks on this album like Fill My Eyes, Lillywhite and particularly Lady D’Arbanville, I was reminded by Lady D’Arbanville of another, much liked “Lady” titled song namely “Lady Eleanor” by Lindisfarne so I dug this one out of the vaults and I gave it a spin. Nicely Out of Tune is a very fine album and brings back many favourable listening memories from way back when.

One memory that this album always conjures up is that I once had the cassette tape version.
I loaned it to someone in an attempt to convert them to the music of Lindisfarne. I did not receive the tape back for a very long time until I finally asked how they were getting on with the music. I knew by the immediate appearance of a very red face that something embarrassing was coming. It turned out that in one early listening session the tape was very badly snagged in their cheap cassette machine and totally destroyed. They knew how much that I liked the band and were petrified to tell inform me of the mishap in case I exploded. They did offer to replace it with a new one. As it happened I had already purchased another copy of the cassette [CD was not yet around] as I could not be without it at the time.

The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Our DJ's Better Than All These Bands
« Reply #24806 on: April 15, 2018, 06:48:31 AM »
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #24807 on: April 15, 2018, 10:33:32 AM »
Cat Stevens: Teaser and the Firecat

I have always loved this album. Such high quality music and music making. I also loved the largely acoustic sound of it coupled with the strong, mellow tones of his voice. The beautifully recorded mellow tone of the acoustic guitar was also one of the most appealing aspects of it. In days gone by I played the bouzouki, mainly for Irish traditional music, but Rubylove was a song that I included in my repertoire on this instrument along with Moonshadow [a particular favourite of my wife’s]. I never insulted the Greek language by attempting to sing the Greek verse in Rubylove however  ;D
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Our DJ's Better Than All These Bands
« Reply #24808 on: April 15, 2018, 05:01:20 PM »
Cat Stevens: Teaser and the Firecat

I have always loved this album. Such high quality music and music making. I also loved the largely acoustic sound of it coupled with the strong, mellow tones of his voice. The beautifully recorded mellow tone of the acoustic guitar was also one of the most appealing aspects of it. In days gone by I played the bouzouki, mainly for Irish traditional music, but Rubylove was a song that I included in my repertoire on this instrument along with Moonshadow [a particular favourite of my wife’s]. I never insulted the Greek language by attempting to sing the Greek verse in Rubylove however  ;D

One of my favorites! I was lucky enough to find a copy of the MFSL gold CD last year.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline bwv 1080

• Veteran member
« Reply #24809 on: April 16, 2018, 09:06:39 AM »
Been listening to all the Angels of Light albums.  (the band was a early 2000s project by Michael Gira of Swans)

Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #24810 on: April 17, 2018, 07:29:12 AM »
Donovan: What’s Bin Did and What’s Bin Hid

The contents of this album were staples of my early listening and playing and a relisten brings back many happy memories. Particular favourites that I liked to play and sing at parties back in the day were Catch the Wind, Goldwatch Blues and Ramblin’ Boy.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #24811 on: April 17, 2018, 07:30:05 AM »
One of my favorites! I was lucky enough to find a copy of the MFSL gold CD last year.

Good for you  8)
It is indeed a wonderful album which still holds up very well.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #24812 on: April 19, 2018, 07:17:56 AM »
Donovan: Fairytale

Another early Donovan offering. Everyone, of my generation that is, knows Colours but other notable songs, for me, in this collection are To Try For The Sun, Oh Deed I do [I like the flatpicking guitar playing style], Candy Man and The Ballad of Geraldine.

Offline Undersea

« Reply #24813 on: April 20, 2018, 06:35:49 PM »
NP:

Father John Misty - I love You, Honeybear

Read recently that FJM will be releasing a new album sometime in June - Will definetely be picking this one up as soon as it is available...

Offline Undersea

« Reply #24814 on: April 20, 2018, 07:15:19 PM »
NP:

Jean-Michel Jarre - Les Chants Magnétiques

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #24815 on: April 21, 2018, 12:59:39 AM »
Recent listening - Vangelis: Earth

There are fine songs on this one. One stand out for me is “My Face in the Rain”.