Author Topic: Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!  (Read 1246209 times)

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
Re: Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!
« Reply #23820 on: May 18, 2017, 09:30:09 AM »
I prefer Plastic Letters and Parallel Lines to this,by the way. I have tried eating to the beat but I usually end up with food all over me!! ??? :(  Encouraging messy eating. Not a good idea! Although,if it's a curry you might end up smelling nice!

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #23821 on: May 18, 2017, 09:31:02 AM »
Even worse,if it's Motorhead!! :o

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #23822 on: May 18, 2017, 10:01:39 AM »
Thanks,for the reply. I did have Larks tongues. I think I wouldn't mind hearing that one again. Why do you think In the Court of is the most well know? Is it merely because it's more immediately accessible,ie tuneful? I suppose it has sold the most copies? I I like what I've heard of prog rock. I remember somebody who was defending it (from it's detractors) saying,What's wrong with rock music that's not just about love and sex?!

Right! There is also drugs!  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #23823 on: May 18, 2017, 10:04:14 AM »
I prefer Plastic Letters and Parallel Lines to this,by the way.

Parallel Lines is indeed a cracking album;  and incidentally, Robt Fripp guests on the track “Fade Away and Radiate.”
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Bohuslav Martinů (1890 - 1959)
    The Opening of the Wells during Magic Nights
« Reply #23824 on: May 18, 2017, 06:41:41 PM »
Thanks,for the reply. I did have Larks tongues. I think I wouldn't mind hearing that one again. Why do you think In the Court of is the most well know? Is it merely because it's more immediately accessible,ie tuneful? I suppose it has sold the most copies? I I like what I've heard of prog rock. I remember somebody who was defending it (from it's detractors) saying,What's wrong with rock music that's not just about love and sex?!

I really have no idea about In the Court of the Crimson King being King Crimson’s best-selling album nor do I have much interest if is. I suppose you could research it? I don’t really view Court as being ‘accessible’ or ‘tuneful’. These are adjectives that don’t really describe what that album’s musical experience is actually like or what I hear when I listen to it. With the exception of the piece 21st Century Schizoid Man, the music for Court has this sort classical elegance to it with some jazzy undertones throughout that would come to typify their direction of the course of the next few albums: The Wake of Poseidon, Lizard, and Islands, but things start getting a much more harder edged in Larks Tongues in Aspic through Red, then, of course, King Crimson transformed with this almost New Wave progressive rock style thanks to Adrian Belew’s presence in the band. Anyway, like I said, I’m a huge fan of their music and their stylistic evolution.
"Music must be beautiful, or it wouldn’t be worth the effort” - Bohuslav Martinů

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #23825 on: May 18, 2017, 06:58:08 PM »

I've heard people claiming that it is the first official prog rock album, which I don't believe. I guess the album art maybe? 21st Century Schizoid Man was apparently controversial too at first right?

I'm not personally sure but I think it's just publicity, it's by far not my favorite Crimson album either.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #23826 on: May 19, 2017, 12:05:42 AM »
I prefer Plastic Letters and Parallel Lines to this,by the way. I have tried eating to the beat but I usually end up with food all over me!! ??? :(  Encouraging messy eating. Not a good idea! Although,if it's a curry you might end up smelling nice!

Eat To The Beat isn't a great album, but has what I consider their best song, "Union City Blue".

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #23827 on: May 19, 2017, 03:31:07 AM »
A s/h copy of this arrived today. Another one I haven't heard for years. I used to drive my parents nuts playing the original Lp version at full blast! ::) ;D

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #23828 on: May 19, 2017, 05:16:39 AM »
A friend of mine hates this band. Playing now! When I was a teenager I used to think she was so repulsive. All the other women on Top of the Pops were pretty,or hot;and here was this woman all dressed up in leathers,twanging away at the guitar,with the boys!! I better not reveal who I liked at the time! :-[ ;D

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #23829 on: May 19, 2017, 05:31:28 AM »
Now:

"Music must be beautiful, or it wouldn’t be worth the effort” - Bohuslav Martinů

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #23830 on: May 19, 2017, 05:43:04 AM »
A s/h copy of this arrived today. Another one I haven't heard for years. I used to drive my parents nuts playing the original Lp version at full blast! ::) ;D

Such a classic. I don’t like it as good as Wish You Were Here, Animals, or The Wall, but, still, it’s a damn fine album.

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #23831 on: May 19, 2017, 06:42:13 AM »
I had the Lp set of the Wall. Another one I used to blast my parents ear holes with! I'm more considerate,now. Unfortunately,only one of them left!!
Given a choice between Animals and Wish you were Here,which would you choose......if you had too?!
Also,as you will know;there are people who claim it was better when Syd Barrett was in it. Not that he was in it for long! I've had friends who rave about Syd Barrett and have cds of his music. He does seem to be,what might be referred to,a bit of a cult figure. I've lost count of the articles I've read about him in various up market newspapers and magazines,over the years.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #23832 on: May 19, 2017, 07:12:29 AM »
I had the Lp set of the Wall. Another one I used to blast my parents ear holes with! I'm more considerate,now. Unfortunately,only one of them left!!
Given a choice between Animals and Wish you were Here,which would you choose......if you had too?!

Wish You Were Here. (Easy choice for me.)

8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Our DJ's Better Than All These Bands
« Reply #23833 on: May 19, 2017, 07:42:58 AM »
Wish You Were Here. (Easy choice for me.)

8)

Same here, buddy!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #23834 on: May 19, 2017, 08:06:19 AM »
Wish you were Here it is!!
Here's another Lp I used to annoy my parents with! In hindsight,I prefer the Eurythmics before they got more commercial,and started having guest spots from Stevie Wonder playing the harmonica,Aretha Franklin and anyone who could give them a leg up into the charts! I think my mother preferred ELP,Pink Floyd,King Crimson and Janis Joplin,by comparison! Luckily I didn't like the heavy metal Lps someone lent me;although they still had to listen to AC DC,Motorhead and Deep Purple while I made my decision!! ??? :o ::) :( >:(

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #23835 on: May 19, 2017, 08:08:38 AM »
Also,as you will know;there are people who claim it was better when Syd Barrett was in it. Not that he was in it for long! I've had friends who rave about Syd Barrett and have cds of his music. He does seem to be,what might be referred to,a bit of a cult figure. I've lost count of the articles I've read about him in various up market newspapers and magazines,over the years.

I’d say Wish You Were Here gets my vote for the best Floyd album. I don’t care much for Floyd’s early work prior to Dark Side, but I do love Meddle.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 08:18:25 AM by Mirror Image »

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #23836 on: May 19, 2017, 08:35:43 AM »
Yes,no disrespect to Syd Barrett fans,but I think the early stuff sounds a bit fey,for my tastes!

I just realised what I was writing by saying that Aretha Franklin and Stevie Wonder needed help from the Eurythmics! That said,I have to admit I am not a fan of Stevie Wonder's singing. As to the 'Queen of Soul' I like the records she made at her peak;but have to admit that when it comes to classic female soul singers it's Millie for me,not Aretha!!

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #23837 on: May 19, 2017, 08:54:15 AM »
No relation to Michael,I should point out!!
If I had any more Prog Rock I would play it. I will have to stock up at some point. I did have stuff on Lps,but they,sort of,disappeared in various home moves!! ::) :(

This is the one on which Debbie Harry raps,isn't it? This is allright,but I prefer their earlier stuff,to be honest.

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #23838 on: May 19, 2017, 05:48:05 PM »
A bit of Slayer this afternoon, love these guys:

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #23839 on: May 19, 2017, 08:08:15 PM »

Joan Shelley - s/t (2017)
Feist - Pleasure (2017)

Thomas Mapfumo - Chimurenga Masterpiece (1991)
Radio Tarifa - Rumba Argelina (1994)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 10:40:21 PM by SimonNZ »

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK