Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!

Started by SonicMan46, April 06, 2007, 07:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Janelle Monáe - Dirty Computer (2018)

aligreto

Cat Stevens: Buddha and the Chocolate Box

There are some very good songs on this album, particular notables for me being Oh Very Young and Sun/C79.

George

New SACD remaster. Sounding lovely.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

aligreto

Quote from: George on June 27, 2018, 10:16:11 AM

New SACD remaster. Sounding lovely.

I do not have it but a friend of mine has it on vinyl and it does sound wonderful indeed.

George

Quote from: aligreto on June 27, 2018, 01:09:10 PM
I do not have it but a friend of mine has it on vinyl and it does sound wonderful indeed.

Cool!

Another new SACD remaster, this one by Kevin Gray:

aligreto

James Taylor: Mud Slide Slim

I was enthralled from my first listen to this album many, many years ago. I loved every moment of it then and still do. It is, for me, akin to the Beatles "White Album", something unique and different in terms of both the nature and quality of the songs. Both the music and the arrangements are wonderful. Songs that I fought long and hard to learn how to play way back then were You've got a Friend and You Can Close Your Eyes. Other big favourites are Places In My Past, Soldiers, Long Ago And Far Away, Highway Song and Isn't It Nice To Be Home Again. In reality, for a JT fan, there is really not a weak song on the album.

George

Quote from: aligreto on June 28, 2018, 08:10:56 AM
James Taylor: Mud Slide Slim

I was enthralled from my first listen to this album many, many years ago. I loved every moment of it then and still do. It is, for me, akin to the Beatles "White Album", something unique and different in terms of both the nature and quality of the songs. Both the music and the arrangements are wonderful. Songs that I fought long and hard to learn how to play way back then were You've got a Friend and You Can Close Your Eyes. Other big favourites are Places In My Past, Soldiers, Long Ago And Far Away, Highway Song and Isn't It Nice To Be Home Again. In reality, for a JT fan, there is really not a weak song on the album.

Love that one, too!

Me:

Woodstock
4CD remaster
MFSL

aligreto

George

Quote from: aligreto on June 28, 2018, 10:59:45 AM
That looks like an interesting set.

Yes, it is. There's enough non-music stuff to kinda make you feel like you are there. Very cool.

Now:

aligreto

Quote from: George on June 29, 2018, 05:16:15 PM

Early Elton John was what I was interested in and I still have that one. I have not listened to it in quite a long time though.

George

Quote from: aligreto on June 30, 2018, 01:53:46 AM
Early Elton John was what I was interested in and I still have that one. I have not listened to it in quite a long time though.

I enjoy it, but i much prefer Tumbleweed and his S/T album.

Now:

George

aligreto

The Music of Peru [Ensemble Pachamama]

I have alluded before to my penchant for the haunting music of South America. This one is a very fine album. One of the most interesting tracks on it is their version of El Condor Pasa. It is really terrific in its interpretation and performance. One will hear sounds on this album that one will not necessarily hear elsewhere on other albums in this genre, in particular the very effective use of the bass pipes used. The music is absolutely wonderful and the playing is of the highest order. If one wants an introduction to the sounds of the music of South America this one is a very high recommendation.

Marc

Listening to Revolver of The Beatles (1966).

It's a masterpiece, and despite the fact that the Finale 'Tomorrow Never Knows' is my fav, I'm flabbergasted (again) about the splendid quality of the McCartney songs on this album.

George

Quote from: Marc on July 05, 2018, 10:36:50 AM

It's a masterpiece, and despite the fact that the Finale 'Tomorrow Never Knows' is my fav, I'm flabbergasted (again) about the splendid quality of the McCartney songs on this album.

A masterpience indeed. You listening to the mono or Stereo?

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Marc on July 05, 2018, 10:36:50 AM

Heh. By coincidence, I just snagged a vinyl copy of that off Discogs. It should arrive in a day or two.

Last weekend, Wifey & I were driving around town, listening to the Beatles Channel while we did so. This inspired me to pull out all my Beatles on vinyl, which I hadn't listened to in a long while. My reaction: Damn, those guys really were that good!
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

George

SimonNZ

Frank Sinatra - Point Of No Return (1962)

Marc

Quote from: George on July 05, 2018, 11:42:50 AM
A masterpience indeed. You listening to the mono or Stereo?

Stereo.

aligreto

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on July 05, 2018, 11:51:39 AM
Heh. By coincidence, I just snagged a vinyl copy of that off Discogs. It should arrive in a day or two.

Last weekend, Wifey & I were driving around town, listening to the Beatles Channel while we did so. This inspired me to pull out all my Beatles on vinyl, which I hadn't listened to in a long while. My reaction: Damn, those guys really were that good!

They sure were  8)