Author Topic: Random Daily, Personal Adventures and Stuff  (Read 8516 times)

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
Re: Random Daily, Personal Adventures and Stuff
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2017, 02:55:16 AM »
What is today? Today is shoe shine day. Once a week it takes me anywhere between about 40 to 60 minutes depending on how many pairs I am shining. I have two identical pairs of these boots (and much like work cameras, there's a third pair still boxed ;D) in rotation -

- along with a brown pair of boots and a black pair of brogues. But the black boots are sturdy, look good with a leather jacket, and receive compliments from women. Bonus: they also lend themselves nicely to splashing in puddles and if required, running away from the cops.
I might look like crap, but my boots are always cool. 8) Shoe shine day. :)

Offline α |

• Veteran member
  • Variations of Armature Pianist and Arm Chair Paris
  • Currently Listening to:
    Lassus, Lassus, Gesualdo, Machaut, Ockeghem, Josquin, Bach, Webern, folk music, Beethoven chamber music, Jane's Addiction and Lassus
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2017, 07:38:54 PM »
I'm going to a Bill Frisell concert tonight!!!  ;D ;D ;D

I'm so thrilled about it, I just got my tickets  8)
Tell your Pugg to stop rubbing his balls of my carpet, I just sprayed some nasty chemicals there.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2017, 12:50:53 AM »
Today a small mystery was solved.
During the hot days of summer my ex used to leave a bowl of water by our gate for passing dogs and another on garden wall for cats. I've continued to do so this year, but I was disappointed to find the bowl for dogs was being stolen. Then today came a knock at the door courtesy of a guy bearing the stolen bowls. He had a sidekick - a wild eyed border collie - who was identified as the thief. ;D
Excellent!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2017, 04:39:21 AM »
I'm going to a Bill Frisell concert tonight!!!  ;D ;D ;D

I'm so thrilled about it, I just got my tickets  8)

Cool. Hope you enjoy it. Let me know if he plays a Telecaster?

Other news:

(Not my photo)

This is the pond I run around in the mornings. I always count the ducks (nine) to make sure they're all there ;D and then make my way to the path just visible here on the left, where I run sprint intervals. At this time of year the good weather means a variety of people use that path too, so tomorrow (after going to vote!) I'm going to try out the purpose built hill trail and see if it's quieter.

Online Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2017, 07:15:45 AM »
ooh, sunshine.

Which has been in very short supply this week in the Sunshine State.  Good thing Karl did not pick this week to make his visit.

Not my photo or anything, but quite representative of the way things have been here since Monday night, and will remain so through at least tomorrow night.

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2017, 10:39:18 AM »

My X-caster is pink!!.....therefore, I win.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Offline α |

• Veteran member
    Lassus, Lassus, Gesualdo, Machaut, Ockeghem, Josquin, Bach, Webern, folk music, Beethoven chamber music, Jane's Addiction and Lassus
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2017, 05:01:35 PM »

Yep, he was playing his classic tele.
In the Q&A the day before, he mentioned how he prefers taking one guitar on tour but still feels envious of bands that have twelve guitars on a rack and a guitar tech  :laugh: He's such a cool guy and the concert was astounding, best show I've been to this year.
The drummer was  ??? no shit, one of the best drummers I've seen. A perfect compliment to Bill's really warm and well-articulated guitar style. The whole band (which was a quartet) was just such an inspiring performance to experience.

It inspired me that much that I immediately started writing four new (jazz) guitar pieces last night  ;D
Tell your Pugg to stop rubbing his balls of my carpet, I just sprayed some nasty chemicals there.

Online aleazk

• My stuff
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2017, 05:30:04 PM »
Today I selected 12 piano pieces that I learned in the past ten years to relearn them. Also two new pieces (Babbitt's semisimple variations and Ligeti's pour Irina; the resonance of the strings in the Ligeti etude make it sound really good and expressive when you play it! the fast part has irregular, Aksak-like rhythmic patterns of the form 3+3+2+3+2+3+...+etc. which I love)

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2017, 09:29:57 PM »
     My X-caster is pink!!.....therefore, I win.

I occasionally wear a pink T-shirt but I don't own a pink guitar (and it looks like my next guitar is going to be butterscotch) so yeah, you win. ;D

Yep, he was playing his classic tele.
In the Q&A the day before, he mentioned how he prefers taking one guitar on tour but still feels envious of bands that have twelve guitars on a rack and a guitar tech  :laugh: He's such a cool guy and the concert was astounding, best show I've been to this year.
The drummer was  ??? no shit, one of the best drummers I've seen. A perfect compliment to Bill's really warm and well-articulated guitar style. The whole band (which was a quartet) was just such an inspiring performance to experience.

It inspired me that much that I immediately started writing four new (jazz) guitar pieces last night  ;D

Glad to hear you got so much from it. :)

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2017, 11:52:52 PM »
ENTIRE COMPOSITION FOLIO IS DUE TOMORROW AND IVE BARELY TYPESET HALF OF THE COMPOSITIONS IM SUBMITTING HAVENT HAD TIME THIS WEEK BECAUSE OF OTHER EXAMS PLUS OTHER STUFF ON EVERY NIGHT THREE CHOIR REHEARSALS THIS WEEK I WONT GET ANY SLEEP TONIGT BECAUSE I HAVE TO FINISH MY FOLIO AND THEN WRITE UP A TONNE OF STUFF I NEED FOR MY COMPOSITION JOURNAL AND IN SHORT I HAVE CHOIR TONIGHT AND I HAVE TO GET THIS ALL DONE IN THE NEXT 23 HOURS NO SLEEP FOR ME

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2017, 01:54:10 AM »
BS. You're young and so can probably do all of that and more while standing on your head. ;D

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2017, 05:45:20 PM »
^^  :-[ Best wishes Jessop. I haven't done an all-nighter in quite a while but it it's not easy with a large heap of prescribed work  ???

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2017, 10:41:10 PM »
I have 20 minutes to get my scores bound. Thanks Nik and Alien ^_^ I'll do my best to submit my folio on time. I don't usually get stressed but sometimes I do feel the pressure..... :P

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2017, 12:00:02 PM »
I occasionally wear a pink T-shirt but I don't own a pink guitar (and it looks like my next guitar is going to be butterscotch) so yeah, you win. ;D

Let me take a wild guess....

I can't justify getting another guitar now, I don't have room, but if I did I would be sorely tempted to get this one.

In 1968 I saw Cream play in a giant barn like hockey rink. Clapton played his Gibson Firebird I through a double stack of Marshall Superleads and it was the most ferocious guitar sound I ever heard, like the "Beano" sound taken to a higher power, like what Joe Bonnamassa does here but less polite:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FHilYw2oQuI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FHilYw2oQuI</a>

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 12:15:58 PM by drogulus »
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2017, 11:21:22 PM »
      Let me take a wild guess....

I can't justify getting another guitar now, I don't have room, but if I did I would be sorely tempted to get this one.

In 1968 I saw Cream play in a giant barn like hockey rink. Clapton played his Gibson Firebird I through a double stack of Marshall Superleads and it was the most ferocious guitar sound I ever heard, like the "Beano" sound taken to a higher power, like what Joe Bonnamassa does here but less polite:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FHilYw2oQuI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FHilYw2oQuI</a>

Yeah, you're right. Although the bridge on the one in that photo would need to go.
My colour choice comes down to 'that's the colour they make it in'. I could go via the Fender custom shop (or another maker - it doesn't need to say 'Fender' on the headstock) but I won't spend that kind of money because I'm cheap as hell. And the current 52 reissue (with a neck pickup change) will get me 95% of the way.

You'll know better than I about how much room you have for guitars. But I'm sure with a little creativity you could fit one more in - especially with only one pickup. ;D
I'm looking to get reduce the number of guitars I own. They're nice to have and play, but I don't need them all.

Thanks for posting the link. As ever, Bonnamassa makes doing what he does appear almost effortless.
Clapton/Cream - must have been incredible to be there. Not just for the music, but the experience as a whole.

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2017, 01:01:37 AM »
...............................I'm officially on holiday now  ???

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2017, 01:04:16 AM »
So in this time (if I managed time reasonably  :laugh: ) I could write two albums (a prog metal and a folk) and compose a large orchestra work  ;)

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2017, 09:30:33 AM »
Woke, weighed myself (159lbs - but I want to see how I feel at about 150-153 now)

Two weeks later: today I weighed myself and I've made it to 154lbs. I feel good, but I think I feel even better at around my usual 160lbs/72kg.

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2017, 01:44:26 PM »
Dress rehearsal tonight for choir. We heard our soloists yesterday at the 'general rehearsal' and they are really fantastic. Looking forward to the upcoming concert conducted by Sir Andrew Davis of Haydn's The Creation.

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2017, 01:56:36 PM »
Dress rehearsal tonight for choir. We heard our soloists yesterday at the 'general rehearsal' and they are really fantastic. Looking forward to the upcoming concert conducted by Sir Andrew Davis of Haydn's The Creation.

Cool. And I know you'll be concentrating on the performance, but whenever possible find a moment to take in as much of the experience as you can - everything you think and see and hear and feel. A snapshot with a wide angled lens and deep depth of field. ;D

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK