Author Topic: Random Daily, Personal Adventures and Stuff  (Read 15248 times)

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
Re: Random Daily, Personal Adventures and Stuff
« Reply #200 on: July 14, 2017, 12:59:05 PM »
Excellent! If you can, post a pic do we can all admire.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Random Daily, Personal Adventures and Stuff
« Reply #201 on: July 14, 2017, 03:18:51 PM »
Airlines: ain't they somethin'. (Full story to follow, perhaps Sunday.)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #202 on: July 14, 2017, 06:11:40 PM »
You would never believe it:

THE WEATHER IS AMAZING TODAY!!!!!  :o :o :o :-* :-* :-*

Gonna be heading off for a nice long walk in a little!  ;)

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #203 on: July 15, 2017, 06:46:41 AM »
Airlines: ain't they somethin'. (Full story to follow, perhaps Sunday.)

My wife was booked on a flight which was to leave Boston 9pm last night.  I got home from work, and the plan was that I would drive her to the airport, we would leave at 6 (one allows for heavy traffic in and around Boston on Friday evening).

While she was completing her packing (I do not want to mislead you into thinking that this was procrastination on her part:  she had three artistic projects she was working to wrap up before traveling) the airline deluged her cell phone and our landline with automated messages that her flight had been cancelled, and the airline had moved her to a flight leaving Sunday morning. Since she has a meeting early this afternoon, that change was not going to work at all, at all.  I checked the airline's website, and (with no word as to just why, of course) all the Boston-to-DC flights were canceled.

My wife called their customer service number;  and she must have been on hold near an hour before we agreed she should just hang up.  Before she dropped the call, though, we decided that, since there appeared no expectation of resolving the matter by phone or internet, I should just go ahead and take her to the airport, and talk to a person live (of course, bringing bags and prepared to travel, unlikely though that seemed).

So it was that, although with greatly reduced expectations we drove to Logan Airport at pretty much the time that we had originally planned.  We knew that the airline would have to accommodate us with some other flight, but we also have a meeting today, so either they get us there in good order, or we get a refund, and need a Plan B.  Another airline?  My thought was that with more than one cancellation, there was quite a population of passengers needing some other way to fly, and that this was why the best they could offer was a Sunday flight 36 hours later.

A train?  It was then too late to get my wife on an Acela for DC, and I did not like the idea of her traveling alone on an overnight train (9pm-ish departure from South Station, arriving at Union Station ca. 6am)

We were on Route 16 East in Medford when I told the love of my life to give up on being “on hold” with the airline;  they were clearly in the throes of managing many displaced travelers.

The best Plan B we could come up with was, she and I would share the wheel driving to north Jersey;  I would stay overnight with my brother, and get on a bus back for Boston.  She would go on drive the remaining 4 hours to DC.

We pull in at Logan, I drop my wife and her bags off at the departures curb, I go and park the car, make my way to find my wife and mom-in-law in the queue for the ticketing desk.  Not surprisingly, a long-ish line, and moving slowly (as the airline agents stress-test their juggling skills).  I call my brother to give him more detail (he had already assured me that we were welcome), and to report that we are in line, still not yet sure just the plan will be.

In the event (as you may already have surmised by the fact that I am writing this morning, rather than Sunday) and contrary to expectations (though, of course, we went to the airport ready for this) they fitted my wife onto an 8:30 departure (and so, a shade earlier than her original booking, and a vessel and crew which were in fact the cancelled 7pm departure) and she arrived at her destination pretty much at the time when her ride was expecting to fetch her from DCA.

There has got to be a better way . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • She usually comes in threes.
« Reply #204 on: July 16, 2017, 02:13:33 AM »
My wife was booked on a flight which was to leave Boston 9pm last night.  I got home from work, and the plan was that I would drive her to the airport, we would leave at 6 (one allows for heavy traffic in and around Boston on Friday evening).

While she was completing her packing (I do not want to mislead you into thinking that this was procrastination on her part:  she had three artistic projects she was working to wrap up before traveling) the airline deluged her cell phone and our landline with automated messages that her flight had been cancelled, and the airline had moved her to a flight leaving Sunday morning. Since she has a meeting early this afternoon, that change was not going to work at all, at all.  I checked the airline's website, and (with no word as to just why, of course) all the Boston-to-DC flights were canceled.

My wife called their customer service number;  and she must have been on hold near an hour before we agreed she should just hang up.  Before she dropped the call, though, we decided that, since there appeared no expectation of resolving the matter by phone or internet, I should just go ahead and take her to the airport, and talk to a person live (of course, bringing bags and prepared to travel, unlikely though that seemed).

So it was that, although with greatly reduced expectations we drove to Logan Airport at pretty much the time that we had originally planned.  We knew that the airline would have to accommodate us with some other flight, but we also have a meeting today, so either they get us there in good order, or we get a refund, and need a Plan B.  Another airline?  My thought was that with more than one cancellation, there was quite a population of passengers needing some other way to fly, and that this was why the best they could offer was a Sunday flight 36 hours later.

A train?  It was then too late to get my wife on an Acela for DC, and I did not like the idea of her traveling alone on an overnight train (9pm-ish departure from South Station, arriving at Union Station ca. 6am)

We were on Route 16 East in Medford when I told the love of my life to give up on being “on hold” with the airline;  they were clearly in the throes of managing many displaced travelers.

The best Plan B we could come up with was, she and I would share the wheel driving to north Jersey;  I would stay overnight with my brother, and get on a bus back for Boston.  She would go on drive the remaining 4 hours to DC.

We pull in at Logan, I drop my wife and her bags off at the departures curb, I go and park the car, make my way to find my wife and mom-in-law in the queue for the ticketing desk.  Not surprisingly, a long-ish line, and moving slowly (as the airline agents stress-test their juggling skills).  I call my brother to give him more detail (he had already assured me that we were welcome), and to report that we are in line, still not yet sure just the plan will be.

In the event (as you may already have surmised by the fact that I am writing this morning, rather than Sunday) and contrary to expectations (though, of course, we went to the airport ready for this) they fitted my wife onto an 8:30 departure (and so, a shade earlier than her original booking, and a vessel and crew which were in fact the cancelled 7pm departure) and she arrived at her destination pretty much at the time when her ride was expecting to fetch her from DCA.

Indeed, but until then as you moved through the airport your calmness was so pure that it extended out and those nearby suddenly felt themselves cool, relaxed and at peace with the world, some almost moved to tears of bliss? That's one one of those rhetorical questions, BTW. Good stuff.
What doesn't kill you always makes you stronger - unless you were too weak to begin with, of course. Fact.

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #205 on: July 16, 2017, 05:04:20 AM »
You would never believe it:

THE WEATHER IS AMAZING TODAY!!!!!  :o :o :o :-* :-* :-*

Gonna be heading off for a nice long walk in a little!  ;)

Well you know what, it has started raining a bit here. More to come this week.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #206 on: July 17, 2017, 05:14:19 AM »
Indeed, but until then as you moved through the airport your calmness was so pure that it extended out and those nearby suddenly felt themselves cool, relaxed and at peace with the world, some almost moved to tears of bliss? That's one one of those rhetorical questions, BTW. Good stuff.

Rhetorical or no, the vibe was earnest, but cool. How far it radiated, I could not say, but there was certainly a noticeable impact on those in the immediate vicinity  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #207 on: July 17, 2017, 05:58:38 AM »
Rhetorical or no, the vibe was earnest, but cool. How far it radiated, I could not say, but there was certainly a noticeable impact on those in the immediate vicinity  8)

That's the stuff. And next thing you know people start getting drawn to you and even the feathered light on the very limit of yer halo tickles under the chin of the grumpiest of grumpy pants, with the result being a little  ---> :)
What doesn't kill you always makes you stronger - unless you were too weak to begin with, of course. Fact.

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #208 on: July 17, 2017, 08:50:27 AM »
Before the gym today I passed a guitar shop without going in, because I've reconsidered my decision to buy a new guitar.
I already have a guitar that I like. It was a gift from my ex and she invested a lot of time and effort into getting it for me. And so I should play it and enjoy it.

I was at the gym later than usual and found it busier than usual. My pull up/chin up form is great right now.

On the way back I stopped in the deli and ordered a takeaway of fettuccine Alfredo and a side of spinach salad. I had it with a pint of milk. Simple man, simple tastes etc.

Intrigue: when I reached the house and opened the gate a ginger blur bolted past my ankles. Apparently there's a new catte exploring the neighbourhood. Maybe next time he'll stop and introduce himself?

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #209 on: July 18, 2017, 04:17:45 AM »
A beautiful morning and so a fine non gym day for casually strolling to town. I bought a couple of t-shirts - one pink, one kind of charcoal grey (tip: even if you're in good shape never be tempted to buy your t-shirts one size too small. It'll only make you seem a try hard dick) - which passed time until the concert hall box office opened. On the way back I went to a shop I've been told sells old theatre memorabilia and other cool stuff. Sometimes those places have books (example) -

that can be difficult for me to find elsewhere, but today this one was closed.

And now to start some ribollita. It's cheap and cheerful and because it incorporates leftovers my grandmother would have firmly approved.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #210 on: July 20, 2017, 12:35:41 PM »
My wife's return flight was gratefully normal. But she was landing here in Boston at 11:30PM. I anticipated, and catnapped well before heading off to Logan. It was after midnight when we returned home, of course; I did nudge my alarm (before retiring) so that it didn't go off until 5. Arising at (well, near) my wonted hour was no difficulty... I didn't feel tired, really. I was just a little slower than normal. And now, at the work day's end, I am not wiped out.  As an added bonus, before yesterday's catnap, I got a little composing done. And I feel that I can do a little work tonight, before dedicating the bulk of the evening to restorative relaxation. Cool has been fully maintained.

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #211 on: July 20, 2017, 03:27:45 PM »
My wife's return flight was gratefully normal. But she was landing here in Boston at 11:30PM. I anticipated, and catnapped well before heading off to Logan. It was after midnight when we returned home, of course; I did nudge my alarm (before retiring) so that it didn't go off until 5. Arising at (well, near) my wonted hour was no difficulty... I didn't feel tired, really. I was just a little slower than normal. And now, at the work day's end, I am not wiped out.  As an added bonus, before yesterday's catnap, I got a little composing done. And I feel that I can do a little work tonight, before dedicating the bulk of the evening to restorative relaxation. Cool has been fully maintained.

A safe journey home for yer missus and another fine display of coolness from yourself. Good stuff.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #212 on: July 20, 2017, 04:34:24 PM »
Each day, seek the cool, behold its benevolent gaze.

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Sef

« Reply #213 on: July 21, 2017, 10:01:42 AM »

Sounds rather familiar to a recent experience I had with American from Boston in late May with my wife - but without the happy ending. Returning to Chicago on their last flight of the day I got a text informing me that the flight was cancelled and that I was booked on the first flight the next day. All hotels were fully booked and we know no one in the area. Went to the airport anyway to discuss the situation but with no positive resolution. There were no weather issues and I never did get an explanation for the cancellation other than it wasn't the airlines fault and that therefore they had no duty to offer us anything - which they dutifully didn't. Had to sleep on the departure terminal floor. Not something that bothered me too greatly as I'm a seasoned traveler and back in my youth used to hitchhike all over Europe, sleeping under hedges etc, but my wife is used to her creature comforts! I did complain, and got $200 in vouchers for my trouble, but still, you're right Karl, there has to be a better way.
"Do you think that I could have composed what I have composed, do you think that one can write a single note with life in it if one sits there and pities oneself?"

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #214 on: July 21, 2017, 01:28:22 PM »
Friday night in the gym, young guys doing endless reps of bicep curls in order to get the pump before going out. ;D Ah, I hope it pays dividends for them. :)   
I'm at least twice their age and have no need for the pump. I required only the strength to eat my fish and chips bought on the way home. 8)

Online Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #215 on: July 22, 2017, 06:30:09 AM »
After my computer kept loosing wifi connection I clicked the "diagnose the problem" button in the Microsoft network settings dialog . For the first time in my lifetime, it actually claimed to have found a problem and now it works better. Now I have some statistics. It works approximately 0.5% of the time.

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #216 on: July 24, 2017, 08:39:37 PM »
Well I'm back. Things have been going on in my personal life that I'm not even willing to talk about here, I'm getting counselling now and will hopefully be getting better soon

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #217 on: July 25, 2017, 04:44:05 AM »
Well, we all hope you are well, and all the circumstances improve!

Let the cool be maintained.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Online Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #218 on: July 25, 2017, 08:32:28 AM »
After my computer kept loosing wifi connection I clicked the "diagnose the problem" button in the Microsoft network settings dialog . For the first time in my lifetime, it actually claimed to have found a problem and now it works better. Now I have some statistics. It works approximately 0.5% of the time.

Problem's back. Maybe that $6 Wifi adapter wasn't such a great choice. :(

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #219 on: July 25, 2017, 08:35:35 AM »
Well, we all hope you are well, and all the circumstances improve!

Let the cool be maintained.

Ditto.
And if /when you manage contact with John (MI) please let us know.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK