Author Topic: Nah  (Read 21731 times)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Re: Random Daily, Personal Adventures and Stuff
« Reply #260 on: August 27, 2017, 03:51:25 AM »
[...] and I might join them later to pffft at any and all of their over enthusiastic hyper exclamations.

Have you considered the possibility, that this is why they do it?  They could be playing you.  (I know you’d be cool about it, bien sûr.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • Hassy shenanigans in the digital domain.
« Reply #261 on: August 27, 2017, 05:25:45 AM »
Have you considered the possibility, that this is why they do it?  They could be playing you.  (I know you’d be cool about it, bien sûr.)

Yes, there's every chance it's part of the Best. Ruse. Ever.
But I believe it's mostly them showing off and wanting stimulation and attention, both from me and each other. I'm happy to play along. Maybe I'm cooler than you think?  :)
Anyway, I'm convinced that the time will come when (perhaps while watching an episode of 'Game of Thrones' ) they'll achieve a state of peak hype, when the air above the couch will become so sparse and thin as a result of their *gasps* becoming deeply synchronised that'll they'll all get light-headed and slumber, then wake up and start all over again.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #262 on: August 27, 2017, 05:56:51 AM »
Yes, there's every chance it's part of the Best. Ruse. Ever.
But I believe it's mostly them showing off and wanting stimulation and attention, both from me and each other. I'm happy to play along. Maybe I'm cooler than you think?  :)

I should not be surprised, though I give you substantial cool cred  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #263 on: August 27, 2017, 07:37:06 PM »
Oh dear... I only smoked cigarettes for two years. I quit decades ago, but sometimes in the early am - maybe once or twice a year, I get a craving for one. But it passes in a moment.
The brand I smoked were these -

And I had a party trick, that when I was finished with them I'd crush them out (with my bare fingers) without even flinching. I bet i can still do it. I must try.  :)

Anyway, as usual, today is a gym day for chest/triceps/shoulders. The exercises for the first two overlap somewhat. And the shoulder press is no fun for the third. But no use in complaining and no one is forcing me to exercise.

A quick look in the kitchen reveals that while stuff like basmati rice, chickpeas (garbanzo beans), couscous, red lentils, udon noodles, kidney beans, orzo (risoni) etc are all in abundance, complete proteins are scarce. So along with the weekly fresh fruit and vegetable shop there will be a visit to the butcher. And if that includes a few slices of smoked salmon I can make kedgeree topped with a soft poached egg.

And as far as I know that's it for the day. I'm not sure yet if I'll have company for the evening, but I'm easy about that in any case because I've been looking forward to reading a few bits and pieces from this -

A Capote Reader: Truman Capote.

Almost all of them will be new to me.  8)
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #264 on: August 28, 2017, 03:23:45 AM »
Smoked salmon is a joy.

Today will be the moment pf neckwear truth:  Will the stains have been removed?  I don’t want to go all Lady Macbeth about them . . . but I do hope to wear those natty ties, again . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #265 on: August 28, 2017, 06:14:14 AM »
The result is:  not quite, but they'll try again.  There may be nothing for it.

I shall be guided by thee, and buy two of each next time  0:)

Still, I’ll pick these up on Thursday, and see if they are any better . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #266 on: August 28, 2017, 07:30:59 AM »
The result is:  not quite, but they'll try again.  There may be nothing for it.

I shall be guided by thee, and buy two of each next time  0:)

Still, I’ll pick these up on Thursday, and see if they are any better . . . .

Shame about the results of the cleaning. Hopefully the second attempt does the trick.

Yeah, if possible buying two is the way to go.

Longer and more convoluted option -
"Considered having your neckties custom made from a material easy to clean? Might be more feasible than you think!"

I rarely complained about anything at work, but years and years ago we had a male model wearing a cheap velour jacket that wasn't very diffuse and reflected light unevenly. A pain (because it slowed us down) and when we finished I commented on never having to see it ever again. Weeks later wardrobe sent me a camera strap they had covered in the material from the jacket (although pro models obviously get paid, sometimes they also get pieces from the shoot free or at a discount) and it started a trend of colleagues gifting me custom camera straps. The number of scarves I own is rivalled by the number of 'unique' ( ???) camera straps. 
Neckties featuring selected images and designs from Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies screencaps/random stuff awaits you.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #267 on: August 28, 2017, 07:57:13 AM »
You've opened up a whole new world unto me!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #268 on: August 28, 2017, 08:23:58 AM »
You've opened up a whole new world unto me!

Aye, but it's a potential rabbit hole, then the next few thing you know -

"Ah, I think I'll wear my new photorealistic replica recreation of the -
'A paper inside had a typewritten note saying, 'Archie Goodwin, keep this until you hear from me, JNV.' The envelope and paper were the engraved stationery of James Neville Vance. Also in the envelope was a four-in-hand-necktie, cream-coloured with brown diagonal stripes, and it had a spot on it, a large brown stain'"

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #269 on: August 28, 2017, 02:16:23 PM »
Today the estate agent is coming and bringing a photographer to take photos of the house. I'll stay out of their way.

After they're gone I'm thinking of going to get a GoPro type camera so I can document for posterity my increasingly slower runs around the neighbourhood/into town/through the park.

Then I'm going with charming neighbour to meet one of her twit little friends who in turn has a friend moving into student accommodation with no elevator. So I'm to carry the heavier stuff up to the second (third in the US?) floor and not swear, not even once.

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #270 on: August 30, 2017, 02:08:19 AM »
Today has now become about tidying and cleaning the house. It's always tidy/clean, but the estate agent called to say they already have a potential buyer who wants to view it tomorrow. I'd planned to visit the gym this afternoon but now my exercise will come via polishing and dusting and stuff. But no complaints, because I want it sold as soon as possible.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #271 on: August 30, 2017, 02:19:10 AM »
Conquer!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Autumn Leaves

« Reply #272 on: August 30, 2017, 06:32:18 PM »
Looking for part time work at the moment and I'm about to send off about 30 CVs  8)

Good luck Alien! :) - are you going to keep studying full-time as well?.

Autumn Leaves

« Reply #273 on: August 30, 2017, 06:45:12 PM »
Yep I am, it's a bitch  :D

That's great Alien - you have my respect :).
When I was studying FT I got by with a student loan supplement but it's not really to be recommended as you end up in a lot of debt (though i did eventually pay it off once I started working).
What sort of jobs are you looking for?.

Autumn Leaves

« Reply #274 on: August 30, 2017, 07:04:11 PM »
Literally anything, I'm that kind of person.

Stacking shelves? sure
Washing dishes? sure
Administration? sure
Cleaning toilets? sure
Looking after elderly? sure
Serving food? sure

As long as there isn't any serious physical harm (getting an arm chopped off  :laugh: ) I'll apply for it.

A certain amount of hours per week on minimum wage will satisfy me whatever it is. Actually, perhaps the worse the job = the more you enjoy actually being around the (often very sterile) people at Uni  :laugh: 

(Though seriously, I was cleaning toilets at one point last year and it's actually a great chance to switch your mind of and think about deep thoughts while doing something productive 🤔 )

I'm a (depending on your viewpoint) educated person and I still have to work a shitty job so I understand where you're coming from - One can't be too fussy about their chosen profession these days it seems..
I agree having a mindless Job (mine's certainly like that) gives you a chance to think about better stuff.
Are you going to buy any CD's or stuff like that with your earnings?.

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #275 on: August 30, 2017, 08:26:16 PM »
Today is about waiting in for the first prospective buyers to view the house. Before they arrive I'm thinking of changing some of the lighting in the hallway, because at the moment it's probably capable of making Frank Gehry wake up in a cold sweat. But it's an easy fix. Also, another viewing has been arranged for Friday.

Yesterday I signed up for my next series of trapeze lessons. Now I'm thinking of adding an extra set one day a week through in Edinburgh. I'd prefer to check it out first in person though.

But before any of that, it's time for a three egg spinach omelette with some focaccia and a pint of milk.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #276 on: August 31, 2017, 02:12:06 AM »
Today, I pick up the ties.  I doubt they will be restored as I had wished, but I am sure the cleaners have done all that can reasonably be asked of them.

On the other hand, maybe later I shall report that they look great.

Either way, cool will be maintained.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Omicron9

« Reply #277 on: August 31, 2017, 06:24:44 AM »
See, this is where the value of having a cleaner guy (or tailoring alteration guy/lady or used book guy or guitar repair guy or whatever) that you can unquestionably rely on becomes increasingly apparent. When you find a tie (or in my case, a silk scarf) that suits your look, broadens your horizons, affects the local property values, or simply tickles yer fancy, it can be hugely disappointing to have it put out of commission and then when it's returned to your wardrobe to still not be fit for purpose.

My solution to this is kind of drastic. If I find a scarf I really like, I buy two of them. Then I wear one that I've nominated as 'dead man walking' so that when the inevitable happens I can bring the other off the bench without missing a beat. None of this 'Darrin is played by Dick York Sargent' nonsense - it fools no one, aye, and certainly not your wife, who would probably be able to spot it in poor lighting and from the other side of the room.

Also, I'm all for hearing about 'disaffection for ties theory'. But at your leisure, of course.

And I can't quote attachments, but, good stuff.

NikF,

I'm not one for neckties; not at all.  However, I live where winter is the long season, and as such, have quite a collection of scarves.  It is not unusual for me to wear two at a time.  I smiled at your "dead man walking" system, and may adopt it for my own purposes.  Enjoyable thread.

Regards,
"Signature-line free since 2017!"

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #278 on: August 31, 2017, 07:48:54 AM »
I am back from the cleaners.  Rejoice with me, for in fact, the ties are so much improved, that they are very nearly Like New!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

kishnevi

« Reply #279 on: August 31, 2017, 09:40:57 AM »
I am back from the cleaners.  Rejoice with me, for in fact, the ties are so much improved, that they are very nearly Like New!

Goodness.  As long as the cleaners did not, so to speak, take you to the cleaners.