Author Topic: Random Daily, Personal Adventures and Stuff  (Read 15757 times)

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
Re: Random Daily, Personal Adventures and Stuff
« Reply #380 on: September 01, 2017, 03:40:24 PM »
Got a flatmate moving out ???

Soon to be followed by another flatmate moving out in a few weeks (who is my twin peaks friend  :'()

I've heard that the two they'll be replaced with will be both girls (and one is a guy and the other a girl), so that will be a interesting new living situation  :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 03:42:06 PM by α | ý Ă ˝ »

Offline Omicron9

« Reply #381 on: September 02, 2017, 09:03:49 AM »
That's serious scarf wearing indeed! Somewhere there's a thread I started (and have been meaning to bump, due to a new acquisition) devoted only to scarves and the wearing of.

But yeah, this is a fun thread in how it offers the pleasure of a peak into the day to day shenanigans and interesting (or sometimes whimsical) thoughts of forum members

I hope you'll contribute again, should you feel inclined. :)

Thank you, NikF.  I hope to see your scarf thread!

"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #382 on: September 02, 2017, 09:07:36 AM »
Thank you, NikF.  I hope to see your scarf thread!

Here you go. I hope it won't be for a while yet that I need my wool scarf..
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • Feel the power.
« Reply #383 on: September 02, 2017, 08:22:25 PM »
Today we're off to  -

'Exhibition: Heavenly Creatures, Angels in faith, history and popular culture'.
http://events.glasgowlife.org.uk/event/2/exhibition-heavenly-creatures-angels-in-faith-history-and-popular-culture - which wasn't my choice. But as my auld granny used to say 'if you cant do something with good grace, then don't do it at all'.

Then ten minutes walking distance away, a crafts fair - http://www.merchantsquareglasgow.com/whats-on - again, not top of my list for places to be on a Sunday.

After that it's a visit to the box office around the corner to buy a ticket (or maybe tickets) for 'In the Spirit of Django with the Scottish National Jazz Orchestra and Martin Taylor.'
I'd be just as happy to hear Taylor in a solo setting, letting his thoughts and fingers meander through the music. But this might be a worthwhile gig to attend.

Finally, a late lunch nearby in a suitable vegetarian (or vegetarian friendly) restaurant. I don't mind, because I'll eat nearly anything. 8)
What doesn't kill you always makes you stronger - unless you were too weak to begin with, of course. Fact.

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #384 on: September 02, 2017, 11:09:58 PM »
I've started working on so many film scripts over the past two months. I'm starting to think more and more that music may not really be my primary career tbh

Once I've got a screenplay in near "complete" state, I may try to find a film student around the place  ;)

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • Feel the power.
« Reply #385 on: September 04, 2017, 09:09:27 PM »
This week involves waking an hour earlier than usual in order to increase the available time for packing, finding misplaced stuff (North Star, if you read this then know that you being the most patient of souls will finally pay off before I move) and other preparation.

As part of the schedule for today I'm going to view a couple of flats/apartments, both of them located in the city centre. There's one in particular that on paper is appealing, due to it being on the top floor and looking down the street. The view should be kind of similar to this old one -

The other reason it has piqued me is because if you instead look up and across the street it's possible to see the corner of the studio I started working in (for the first year, part-time) when I was a street urchin.
There's no hurry to relocate and so this is partly about seeing what's available and the sort of prices being asked. In fact, I've another couple of viewings through in Edinburgh and almost consider that city my first choice.

Apparently moving house can be stressful. While I don't have the means to test my blood pressure I'm going to take my pulse at roughly the same time every day after one cup of coffee. As unscientific as it is I want to see how much it all gets to me.

56bpm
What doesn't kill you always makes you stronger - unless you were too weak to begin with, of course. Fact.

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #386 on: September 09, 2017, 02:51:04 AM »
I'm realizing more an more what I actually want and need to do: Travel

Doing that and using my artistic passions as a result of traveling to lots of places and breaking down all comfort zones may result in the future, me being a more satisfied and happier person in the long run.

Problem is I owe lots of people money already, being at Uni  ???

Is there a way out of it? Considering I'm poor financially (as a student)
I'm considering dropping out of Uni (next year)

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #387 on: September 09, 2017, 02:53:50 AM »
(above my post)

That's a beautiful picture Nik, I've been staring at that for several minutes  :o

Best of luck with your move  :)

Offline Turbot nouveaux

« Reply #388 on: September 09, 2017, 09:01:16 AM »
... I'm going to view a couple of flats/apartments, both of them located in the city centre. There's one in particular that on paper is appealing, due to it being on the top floor and looking down the street. The view should be kind of similar to this old one -

Union Street in Glasgow! Happy memories from the late 1980s / early 90s

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #389 on: September 09, 2017, 11:44:44 PM »
I went for a four hour walk this afternoon, I walked at a fast pace (and without realizing) found myself three whole towns away  ???

I'm not even tired, my mind was really absent during the whole walk, I was in a daze (no I don't touch drugs). Been a weird day and I got Uni again  ::) next week

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #390 on: September 10, 2017, 10:44:06 PM »
I went for a shorter walk this arvo, feels good  :D

It's nice living near the beach  8)

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • Feel the power.
« Reply #391 on: September 11, 2017, 12:46:08 AM »
(above my post)

That's a beautiful picture Nik, I've been staring at that for several minutes  :o

Best of luck with your move :)

Thanks.

Union Street in Glasgow! Happy memories from the late 1980s / early 90s

Yeah, well spotted.

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • Feel the power.
« Reply #392 on: September 11, 2017, 12:47:41 AM »
Answer PMs - trapeze lesson - "Give me your number" - home - pack - list - unpack - relist - thoughts for posters at the mercy of the elements - eat - sleep - repeat.

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • Feel the power.
« Reply #393 on: September 11, 2017, 10:26:57 PM »
Yesterday was my first day back on the trapeze after a few months. And while I'm fit and strong and have the capacity for copious amounts of physical exertion, my plan for this morning is to slowly regain the ability to raise my arms more than 90░
When I achieve that I'll set out for the local stores and businesses in order to blag cardboard boxes suitable for packing. Come evening it'll be time to take up the ongoing invitation to eat with my charming neighbour; "It'll be something with cannellini beans" - ah, the suspense...

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • Feel the power.
« Reply #394 on: September 12, 2017, 11:55:36 PM »
Today I wait for the person who has bought one of my guitars to come and collect it. Then it's back to the lengthy groove of listing contents while packing boxes. Usually Wednesday is a gym day, but bodyweight stuff augmented by a few rounds on the heavy bag will need to suffice. Post workout face feeding consists of a nice sirloin steak (heat pan, add butter to pan, then immediately add seasoned steak to pan) and one pint of full fat milk. Into an evening that'll be brought to a close with a book. This is where it's at, where it's terminally oh so easy.

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • Feel the power.
« Reply #395 on: September 16, 2017, 02:20:26 AM »
The Algonquin Round Table on tour. This time last year I was at London women's Fashion Week, called in to salvage the efforts of amateurs, wannabes and generic attention seekers.*whip pan* This year will be the first in about three decades I'll have no official part in it although I'm sure I'll be occupied. But first to Wales, Welsh Wales, where amongst other shenanigans I'll make sure to employ an experienced eye for a repressed Gossamer. Then home to lock the door and hand over the keys. I wonder if we'll get listed at modemonline?

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod Šnigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #396 on: September 18, 2017, 03:39:53 AM »
To salvage, and not to savage?  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. Ś Franšoise Gilot

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #397 on: September 19, 2017, 04:06:55 PM »
After quite a few weeks of quite harsh personal struggles (to not get complex about it) I've reached a sense of revelation. Feeling very good this week  8)

Offline aleazk

• My stuff
« Reply #398 on: September 21, 2017, 12:57:14 PM »
Wow... first time in my life I won over the airline!  ;D

I missed my flight because I didn't arrive to the airport at time due to some *personal issues that required my presence at home* (cof cof... someone was playing the piano and forgot to check the clock... cof cof.)

So, I was expecting to be forced to pay some juicy penalty... but I was informed that, since the original flight was delayed, the airline gives free changes of flights in these cases... thus, I have a new flight now in a few hours and it was free... and they don't know that I was changing it because I arrived ridiculously late rather than due to some supposed incovenient caused by the delay of the original flight  :laugh: ;D 8) $:)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 12:58:55 PM by aleazk »

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod Šnigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #399 on: September 22, 2017, 04:50:43 AM »
Wow... first time in my life I won over the airline!  ;D

I missed my flight because I didn't arrive to the airport at time due to some *personal issues that required my presence at home* (cof cof... someone was playing the piano and forgot to check the clock... cof cof.)

So, I was expecting to be forced to pay some juicy penalty... but I was informed that, since the original flight was delayed, the airline gives free changes of flights in these cases... thus, I have a new flight now in a few hours and it was free... and they don't know that I was changing it because I arrived ridiculously late rather than due to some supposed incovenient caused by the delay of the original flight  :laugh: ;D 8) $:)

I love hearing stories like this.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. Ś Franšoise Gilot

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK