Author Topic: Random Daily, Personal Adventures and Stuff  (Read 2732 times)

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
Re: Random Daily, Personal Adventures and Stuff
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2017, 02:05:18 PM »
Cool. And I know you'll be concentrating on the performance, but whenever possible find a moment to take in as much of the experience as you can - everything you think and see and hear and feel. A snapshot with a wide angled lens and deep depth of field. ;D

I will take a photo of the concert hall from where I'm standing as well ^_^

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • Feel the power.
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2017, 02:09:28 PM »
I will take a photo of the concert hall from where I'm standing as well ^_^

8)
The sight of her in a blue gingham dress could break your heart, but the way she looked out of the dress could make the same heart explode.

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2017, 05:08:22 AM »
Just a quick photo on my phone. Melbourne Symphony Orchestra and Chorus in Hamer Hall (Arts Centre Melbourne), Sir Andrew Davis on the podium I think just confirming something with the concertmaster.

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • Feel the power.
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2017, 05:22:37 AM »
Looks good!  :)
The sight of her in a blue gingham dress could break your heart, but the way she looked out of the dress could make the same heart explode.

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • Feel the power.
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2017, 11:20:41 AM »
This evening was an extra session at the gym in lieu of being on the trapeze (although I'll be back to that soon) and I found it busy. There are two periods each year when this happens; post new year, then again before people go on holiday and want to look good for the beach. But a few stay on and become regulars which is cool, because although I mind my own business in the gym I wish I could tell them that while looking in good shape is their priority now, that if they keep exercising then when they reach my age (109) they'll really feel the benefit.
Anyway, on they way home I bought a couple of cheeseburgers and chips (fries) and a tomato salad and fed my face.  8)

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2017, 08:47:07 AM »
     I'm taking Amp III on my vacation to Maine. There's a guy up there who'll fix it for me even without a schematic. I may be able to bring it back when we're ready to return. This is quite a stroke of good fortune, as this guy is expert in the kind of amp mine is modeled on.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 08:49:03 AM by drogulus »
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • Feel the power.
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2017, 09:09:54 AM »
I was wondering about your amp after you hadn't posted an update. Anyway, hope he gets to the root of the issue and it's resolved to your satisfaction.

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2017, 10:04:32 AM »
I was wondering about your amp after you hadn't posted an update. Anyway, hope he gets to the root of the issue and it's resolved to your satisfaction.

Why.......? Oh OK, thanks.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • Feel the power.
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2017, 10:29:06 AM »
     Why.......?

I'm going to give you a serious answer. Two reasons -

1) You explained that you had approached an amp builder with some specific ideas for a design that he wasn't especially known for. And you mentioned that if all went well, you would have a fair idea of what your next amp design will be. That alone was interesting to me, because although many of the details you spoke of were way over my head I enjoyed hearing about the process, the method behind the thinking that went in to your idea and how you imparted that to the builder.
Then you posted more details, this time concerning problems you were having and how you couldn't just take it to some local dude to try and fix. Finally, the cliffhanger was that you were waiting for the builder to get back to you. And that was it. Ah, and at one point you posted a cool old black and white photo.  8)

2) Because generally speaking, I'm interested in more than only what is currently happening in my own small world. :)

Oh OK, thanks.

You're welcome. :)

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2017, 11:54:45 AM »

I'm going to give you a serious answer.

You lost me.

I did ask the builder if he had anything I could take to the tech and he said he'd look for it, but he's probably busy and I don't want to pester him about it.

I originally thought the hifi-ish driver/inverter stage might have a role but now I see that was kind of a dumb idea, now I have a much better view of the problem. The hum is coming from somewhere between the input and the volume control which is early in the circuit, because the volume controls the hum level and there's none at all with the volume off. That narrows it down considerably. The tone control not working comes from having the wrong cap values on the treble pot. Actually it is working but an octave too high, a tone control for dogs!

There probably shouldn't be an Amp IV or a Bonamassa Firebird. I live in a fairly small apartment.

A funny thing occurred to me, one of my amps has a Fender/Marshall tone stack with typical interaction as the bass and treble controls change the mids, one with the Vox top boost stack that interacts in weirdly unpredictable ways until you learn how it works, and the Ampeg style where the mids are mostly unaffected by the adjustments just like a hifi.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 03:17:39 PM by drogulus »

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • Feel the power.
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2017, 12:03:55 PM »

You lost me.

I did ask the builder if he had anything I could take to the tech and he said he'd look for it, but he's probably busy and I don't want to pester him about it.

I originally thought the hifi-ish driver/inverter stage might have a role but now I see that was kind of a dumb idea, now I have a much better view of the problem. The hum is coming from somewhere between the input and the volume control which is early in the circuit, because the volume controls the hum level and there's none at all with the volume off. That narrows it down considerably. The tone control not working comes from having the wrong cap values on the treble pot. Actually it is working but an octave too high, a tone control for dogs!

There probably shouldn't be an Amp IV or a Bonamassa Firebird. I live in a fairly small apartment.

A funny thing occurred to me, one of my amps has a Fender/Marshall tone stack with typical interaction as the bass and treble controls change the mids, one with the Vox top boost stack that interacts in weirdly unpredictable ways until you learn how it works, and the Ampeg style where the mids are mostly unafftected by the adjustments just like a hifi.

Because it's interesting. And if you're still lost after me saying that, well, better call a professional search party in. ;D
Thanks for the update. :)

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2017, 12:14:49 PM »
     The other day the Cowcat carried a baby bunny into our yard, probably to play with it and then kill it. I alerted the Spy Novel Queen, the Cowcat's spiritual adviser, and she ran downstairs and performed an intervention while I watched from my perch at the front window. You should have seen that baby bunny take off! It hid under a car and was later nowhere to be found. I think it escaped.

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • Feel the power.
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2017, 12:24:54 PM »
     The other day the Cowcat carried a baby bunny into our yard, probably to play with it and then kill it. I alerted the Spy Novel Queen, the Cowcat's spiritual adviser, and she ran downstairs and performed an intervention while I watched from my perch at the front window. You should have seen that baby bunny take off! It hid under a car and was later nowhere to be found. I think it escaped.

See, that's not interesting. That's just BS. ;D

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2017, 05:13:30 PM »
I am going down to Geelong today (about an hour out of Melbourne) for the next performance of The Creation. Never been to this hall before, should be fun!

Offline α |

• Veteran member
  • Variations of Armature Pianist and Arm Chair Paris
  • Currently Listening to:
    The sound of noise music
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2017, 06:04:24 PM »
I am going down to Geelong today (about an hour out of Melbourne) for the next performance of The Creation. Never been to this hall before, should be fun!

Good luck, have fun!  :D

(btw, I have a approx 9 hour bus drive next week  ??? , cause I'm going back up to my parents again for a few weeks)
The most self-referential, self-aware and self-deprecating user this website (and planet) has ever known. So much, that he fails at being able to insult his own intelligence

- Neil Asuolubaftaht
- Alien

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2017, 06:06:48 PM »
Good luck, have fun!  :D

(btw, I have a approx 9 hour bus drive next week  ??? , cause I'm going back up to my parents again for a few weeks)
Curiously, where do you live in relation to Wellington?

Offline α |

• Veteran member
  • Variations of Armature Pianist and Arm Chair Paris
  • Currently Listening to:
    The sound of noise music
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2017, 06:55:04 PM »
From somewhere far south to somewhere far north  :P
The most self-referential, self-aware and self-deprecating user this website (and planet) has ever known. So much, that he fails at being able to insult his own intelligence

- Neil Asuolubaftaht
- Alien

Offline aleazk

• My stuff
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2017, 10:28:40 PM »
Finally finished a research article on which I have been working since January. Nothing really big, but hey, as the saying goes, something is... well, just something  :D :-\ $:)

Now the circus of sending it to 445686644 different journals until the editor in one of them, by god's grace, falls asleep in his chair and thus forgets to throw my draft to the nay box. Result: article being published  :laugh:

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • Feel the power.
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2017, 01:25:14 AM »
^ those sound like good odds.  ;D In any case, congrats.

I've just selected what I'm wearing for my date today. It's a Henley T-shirt and it's of the fitted variety in an attempt to make my v-taper more of a V-taper - because my ageing carcass needs all the help it can get.  :laugh:

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2017, 04:15:20 AM »
Finally finished a research article on which I have been working since January. Nothing really big, but hey, as the saying goes, something is... well, just something  :D :-\ $:)

Now the circus of sending it to 445686644 different journals until the editor in one of them, by god's grace, falls asleep in his chair and thus forgets to throw my draft to the nay box. Result: article being published  :laugh:
I'm happy for you! Best of luck with publication! :)

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK