Author Topic: Random Daily, Personal Adventures and Stuff  (Read 15258 times)

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
Re: Random Daily, Personal Adventures and Stuff
« Reply #440 on: October 15, 2017, 05:31:07 AM »
Well, I'm back.  It was a great trip, and I got to see a whole bunch of things, but now I'm feeling dazed from the endless travel yesterday.  Four airports, countless security checkpoints, a few neigh-on inedible meal entrees...

Offline Crudblud

« Reply #441 on: October 15, 2017, 06:44:32 AM »
Welcome back!

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #442 on: October 16, 2017, 05:37:21 AM »
Although waiting in the service department of the Honda dealership was an unexpected activity early on Saturday, it did not really take over the entire morning.

The Background:

I first picked up the car in January, and of course it came with a full tank.  My use of the car is quite unusually light, so it was February before I needed to re-fuel.  By coincidence, we had enjoyed a bit of a swing in the weather:  the day before had seen freezing rain, and when I went to the gas station that morning, the thermometer had dipped rather below freezing.

The Honda salesman had not told me that my Civic has no gas cap.

This was my first experience with a “capless” gas tank, and the timing was unfortunate.  And in hindsight, it would all have been fine, if the temperature had been above freezing.  My most nearly intuitive guess at how to work this was, simply to press the fuel pump nozzle against the sort of indented disc which closes up the fuel funnel.  But it would not budge.  Yes, I know now that it was simply frozen to.  At the time, I was not sure if there was some other key piece of intelligence which would make it work.

I tried calling the Roadside Assistance number – not that I needed a tow truck, but just to ask someone how to proceed;  I could reach no one (off-hours on the weekend, I suppose – of course, if there had been an emergency, I could have pressed the number for that).  I tried calling the dealership’s service desk – no one picked up.

I called again and the receptionist asked if she could be of any assistance. I explained my dilemma, but she was not sure what to suggest, as (so far as she knew) all I needed to do was press the nozzle against that disc.  I thanked her, and we rang off.

Well, I was tired of making fruitless phone calls, and I had no option but to introduce fuel into the car somehow;  so I jammed the nozzle hard against the disc, and I broke the ice.  So far, let’s call it, so good.

Over the months, the disc behaved more or less (I suppose) as it ought:  it gave way when I introduced the nozzle; and when I removed the nozzle, the disc sprang back into position.

The last 3-4 times, however, it did not spring back quite into the position which (it seemed to me) was normal, although it did indeed still “seal” the funnel.  Once, the disc caught in the thick wire which was spiraled around the fuel nozzle, and it was a bit of a project to get the nozzle removed.

So now we come to yesterday.

I set out from home with no urgent place to go – I figured on going to Stop ’n’ Shop for a sack of ground coffee, some carrot juice, and breakfast bars – and saw that I might as well refuel the Civic.  When I removed the nozzle, the spring ejected the disc, which fell to the ground.  I picked it up, wrapped it up in a paper towel which I had handy, and drove two miles to the dealership.  It’s early in the day, I thought, I should be able to get quick-ish advice on what to do.

I show the disc in the paper towel to the service desk chap, who asks me, “What’s that?”  He wouldn’t have asked that question, if my car had a simple gas cap, would he have?  I explained, and he politely excused himself while he went back to consult with a mechanic on how to proceed.

I step over to the sales floor, and I see my salesguy, Lance, withdrawing breakfast from a Dunkin Donuts sack.  We exchange greetings and pleasantries, and I explain why I am there.  His eyebrows rose, but he remained unruffled, and expressed confidence that they in Service would take care of me.  He gave me a card with his refreshed contact info, and excused himself as he had a meeting to go into.

I sit, and wait to be called by the Service chap.

When he does (to make it brief) he explains that of course they cannot simply replace the disc, but the whole jigger needs to be replaced, parts & labor will run to $340, although if they do something special as a consideration to me, I might get off at only $195.

“Begging your pardon, I absolutely refuse to be at any cost for this.  All I have ever done, is try to refuel the car.”

So, he knows the full story now, there will need to be an “investigation,” but he will “go to bat” for me, they have to wait until Tuesday for the part, but he will call me with the story Monday (i.e., today).

I thank him.  I go back out to Lance, and tell him about the $340 – or $195 if I am lucky!  And (without losing my cool) I reiterate that I absolutely refuse to pay a red cent (an obsolete expression referring to an as-yet-unoxidized copper penny).  Lance simply says that he is sure they will take good care of me, and that he (Lance) will be involved in the process.

So: that’s all I know right now.  It is, of course, much too early for Philip to call me yet.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
Random Daily, Personal Adventures and Stuff
« Reply #443 on: October 16, 2017, 05:42:59 AM »
The disc itself. Plastic, but textured to appear metallic. Slightly larger, but lighter, than a quarter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #444 on: October 16, 2017, 05:45:58 AM »
What about the car warranty?

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #445 on: October 16, 2017, 06:06:13 AM »
What about the car warranty?

Will ask, indeed.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #446 on: October 16, 2017, 07:19:17 AM »
Will ask, indeed.

3 Year/36,000 miles. Hopefully you didn't implicate yourself for willfully or negligently destroying it. 

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #447 on: October 16, 2017, 12:58:29 PM »
Although waiting in the service department of the Honda dealership was an unexpected activity early on Saturday, it did not really take over the entire morning.

The Background:

I first picked up the car in January, and of course it came with a full tank.  My use of the car is quite unusually light, so it was February before I needed to re-fuel.  By coincidence, we had enjoyed a bit of a swing in the weather:  the day before had seen freezing rain, and when I went to the gas station that morning, the thermometer had dipped rather below freezing.

The Honda salesman had not told me that my Civic has no gas cap.

This was my first experience with a “capless” gas tank, and the timing was unfortunate.  And in hindsight, it would all have been fine, if the temperature had been above freezing.  My most nearly intuitive guess at how to work this was, simply to press the fuel pump nozzle against the sort of indented disc which closes up the fuel funnel.  But it would not budge.  Yes, I know now that it was simply frozen to.  At the time, I was not sure if there was some other key piece of intelligence which would make it work.

I tried calling the Roadside Assistance number – not that I needed a tow truck, but just to ask someone how to proceed;  I could reach no one (off-hours on the weekend, I suppose – of course, if there had been an emergency, I could have pressed the number for that).  I tried calling the dealership’s service desk – no one picked up.

I called again and the receptionist asked if she could be of any assistance. I explained my dilemma, but she was not sure what to suggest, as (so far as she knew) all I needed to do was press the nozzle against that disc.  I thanked her, and we rang off.

Well, I was tired of making fruitless phone calls, and I had no option but to introduce fuel into the car somehow;  so I jammed the nozzle hard against the disc, and I broke the ice.  So far, let’s call it, so good.

Over the months, the disc behaved more or less (I suppose) as it ought:  it gave way when I introduced the nozzle; and when I removed the nozzle, the disc sprang back into position.

The last 3-4 times, however, it did not spring back quite into the position which (it seemed to me) was normal, although it did indeed still “seal” the funnel.  Once, the disc caught in the thick wire which was spiraled around the fuel nozzle, and it was a bit of a project to get the nozzle removed.

So now we come to yesterday.

I set out from home with no urgent place to go – I figured on going to Stop ’n’ Shop for a sack of ground coffee, some carrot juice, and breakfast bars – and saw that I might as well refuel the Civic.  When I removed the nozzle, the spring ejected the disc, which fell to the ground.  I picked it up, wrapped it up in a paper towel which I had handy, and drove two miles to the dealership.  It’s early in the day, I thought, I should be able to get quick-ish advice on what to do.

I show the disc in the paper towel to the service desk chap, who asks me, “What’s that?”  He wouldn’t have asked that question, if my car had a simple gas cap, would he have?  I explained, and he politely excused himself while he went back to consult with a mechanic on how to proceed.

I step over to the sales floor, and I see my salesguy, Lance, withdrawing breakfast from a Dunkin Donuts sack.  We exchange greetings and pleasantries, and I explain why I am there.  His eyebrows rose, but he remained unruffled, and expressed confidence that they in Service would take care of me.  He gave me a card with his refreshed contact info, and excused himself as he had a meeting to go into.

I sit, and wait to be called by the Service chap.

When he does (to make it brief) he explains that of course they cannot simply replace the disc, but the whole jigger needs to be replaced, parts & labor will run to $340, although if they do something special as a consideration to me, I might get off at only $195.

“Begging your pardon, I absolutely refuse to be at any cost for this.  All I have ever done, is try to refuel the car.”

So, he knows the full story now, there will need to be an “investigation,” but he will “go to bat” for me, they have to wait until Tuesday for the part, but he will call me with the story Monday (i.e., today).

I thank him.  I go back out to Lance, and tell him about the $340 – or $195 if I am lucky!  And (without losing my cool) I reiterate that I absolutely refuse to pay a red cent (an obsolete expression referring to an as-yet-unoxidized copper penny).  Lance simply says that he is sure they will take good care of me, and that he (Lance) will be involved in the process.

So: that’s all I know right now.  It is, of course, much too early for Philip to call me yet.
The upshot: they will replace it at no cost to me as a one-time goodwill courtesy.

Still waiting for the part to arrive tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #448 on: October 16, 2017, 01:09:37 PM »
Good will? It wasn't covered by warranty?

I have a Honda with the same cap-less system. I recall the first time I filled it up the nozzle went in easily enough but at first it wouldn't come out. "Now, what the hell and I going to do?" I thought. But you are supposed to move the nozzle hand up and down to get the thing to release it. It was fine once I got the knack for it. I was not a fan of it at first, but now I've gotten to like it.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #449 on: October 19, 2017, 10:55:21 AM »
I picked her back up yesterday, good to have her home again.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • She usually comes in threes.
« Reply #450 on: November 08, 2017, 07:18:20 AM »
Today I registered with another estate agent although I'm in no hurry to buy a property, because although I'm staying with my charming neighbour until the beginning of next week I've already secured long term accommodation. And while I tend not to worry about stuff it's nice to have that taken care of.

Tomorrow it's the gym (I weigh 164lbs - four more than before London) and then shopping to try and buy a pair of...wait for it...oxblood Chelsea boots. Why? Well, while in the aforementioned big smoke I blagged a Paul Smith bomber jacket during a photoshoot some dude was doing. It'll make a nice change from the leather jacket. And if oor Jeffrey Smith should read this post; oxblood boots, grey chinos, white t-shirt, black bomber jacket and blue Paisley silk scarf? Or too much le poseur?

What doesn't kill you always makes you stronger - unless you were too weak to begin with, of course. Fact.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #451 on: November 08, 2017, 07:20:42 AM »
You didn’t ask me.  But FWIW, I’d certainly wear a blue Paisley silk scarf.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #452 on: November 08, 2017, 07:38:59 AM »
You didn’t ask me.  But FWIW, I’d certainly wear a blue Paisley silk scarf.

oor Karl, your opinion in this (and any other matter) is both welcome and appreciated. I singled out Jeffrey on account of having discussed similar stuff with him before. And you would wear a blue silk Paisley scarf? - perhaps you should! It's not only generally smashing look, but also adds to the inherent coolness of the wearer. Oh yeah.
What doesn't kill you always makes you stronger - unless you were too weak to begin with, of course. Fact.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #453 on: November 08, 2017, 07:43:01 AM »
My scarf this week has been blue (though neither silk nor paisley . . . .)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #454 on: November 08, 2017, 07:56:01 AM »
Blue is always good. I've more scarves of the red/burgundy variety, but the blues are there in numbers too.
Today in the chilly och aye the noo climate my own choice of scarf was an oatmeal(ish) merino herringbone, which despite being a little staid by my standards served to keep my neck warm with just the merest soupçon of dashingness, he said modestly.

Offline Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #455 on: November 08, 2017, 08:05:40 AM »
Blue is always good. I've more scarves of the red/burgundy variety, but the blues are there in numbers too.
Today in the chilly och aye the noo climate my own choice of scarf was an oatmeal(ish) merino herringbone, which despite being a little staid by my standards served to keep my neck warm with just the merest soupçon of dashingness, he said modestly.

Almost makes me wish it could get cold enough here to justify wearing a scarf of any kind...

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #456 on: November 08, 2017, 08:18:59 AM »
But you see, silk is good for warm-weather scarf-sporting.  It would be rather too light for Boston in November, which is why my blue (non-paisley) scarf is merino.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #457 on: November 08, 2017, 08:31:47 AM »
Almost makes me wish it could get cold enough here to justify wearing a scarf of any kind...

I don't know what your climate is like, but when it's warm I often wear the thinnest of my silk scarves (even thinner than the paisley ) such as these -

Karl, check out the second one, it's a doozy. With a grey shirt or t-shirt or sweater - Robert, is indeed, your uncle.

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #458 on: November 08, 2017, 04:23:03 PM »
Today I registered with another estate agent although I'm in no hurry to buy a property, because although I'm staying with my charming neighbour until the beginning of next week I've already secured long term accommodation. And while I tend not to worry about stuff it's nice to have that taken care of.

Tomorrow it's the gym (I weigh 164lbs - four more than before London) and then shopping to try and buy a pair of...wait for it...oxblood Chelsea boots. Why? Well, while in the aforementioned big smoke I blagged a Paul Smith bomber jacket during a photoshoot some dude was doing. It'll make a nice change from the leather jacket. And if oor Jeffrey Smith should read this post; oxblood boots, grey chinos, white t-shirt, black bomber jacket and blue Paisley silk scarf? Or too much le poseur?

Black bomber jackets are naturally scarfless...or no more than a monochrome black or grey merino if the cold requires it.  The oxblood boots are good, but Chelsea boots are getting fashionable, so be wary of looking like you want to be in fashion. My own boots are motorcycle boots (two pairs in black, one in brown) and I may get a Chelsea boot at winter's end, when they are on clearance.  But you would be surprised how thin on the ground black boots, Western boots, and motorcycle boots are in this neck of the woods. Brown chelseas, brown chukkas, hiking and construction boots...but slim pickings for anything else.

I did laugh: my father is named Paul Smith yet I've never seen him in a bomber jacket.

Offline Le Moderniste

• Birthdate: Year (YYYY) - Month (MM) - Day (DD)
« Reply #459 on: November 08, 2017, 08:11:42 PM »
Getting some Turkish food for dinner with my family (I'm on holiday) for the last night that I'm visiting them. I've got a long bus ride starting tomorrow morning too  ???

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK