Author Topic: Random Daily, Personal Adventures and Stuff  (Read 15321 times)

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • She usually comes in threes.
Re: Random Daily, Personal Adventures and Stuff
« Reply #460 on: November 08, 2017, 09:22:01 PM »
Black bomber jackets are naturally scarfless...or no more than a monochrome black or grey merino if the cold requires it.  The oxblood boots are good, but Chelsea boots are getting fashionable, so be wary of looking like you want to be in fashion. My own boots are motorcycle boots (two pairs in black, one in brown) and I may get a Chelsea boot at winter's end, when they are on clearance.  But you would be surprised how thin on the ground black boots, Western boots, and motorcycle boots are in this neck of the woods. Brown chelseas, brown chukkas, hiking and construction boots...but slim pickings for anything else.

I did laugh: my father is named Paul Smith yet I've never seen him in a bomber jacket.

Yeah, motorcycle boots are cool, although I haven't worn a pair since I owned my old East German motorcyle (MZ) which was a longer ago than I like to remember.
And yes, I'm surprised black boots are hard to come by. They could almost be considered a key component of a wardrobe. 

Anyway, the jacket and hopefully new boots will receive their premiere on Saturday when taking my (cheap) seat among the cool kids to hear Pintscher conducting Stravinsky, Hosokawa,Takemitsu and Vivier - one of the reasons I've returned north for a spell.
What doesn't kill you always makes you stronger - unless you were too weak to begin with, of course. Fact.

Offline Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #461 on: November 08, 2017, 10:20:25 PM »
I don't know what your climate is like, but when it's warm I often wear the thinnest of my silk scarves (even thinner than the paisley ) such as these -

You'd have me wandering out here in a scarf?  :)

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #462 on: November 08, 2017, 10:38:15 PM »
You'd have me wandering out here in a scarf?  :)

I've not asked you to do anything. Although that sky doesn't look promising.
What doesn't kill you always makes you stronger - unless you were too weak to begin with, of course. Fact.

Offline Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #463 on: November 09, 2017, 08:34:57 AM »
I've not asked you to do anything. Although that sky doesn't look promising.

You've got a point, it did drizzle last night...

Online Le Moderniste

• Birthdate: Year (YYYY) - Month (MM) - Day (DD)
« Reply #464 on: November 09, 2017, 10:12:16 AM »
Got my long ass bus trip now, 10 hours too  :-[

Online Le Moderniste

« Reply #465 on: November 09, 2017, 10:16:17 AM »
What's the best option?

A loop of 4.33
Read a book
Listen/watch YouTube
Design a farmhouse
Drink the strange chemicals
Call for help

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #466 on: November 09, 2017, 11:05:10 AM »
I'd go with Read a book.

I recommend Where's My Fortune Cookie?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #467 on: November 09, 2017, 11:37:44 AM »
     I bought AAPL yesterday, just a taste to wet my beak.

In addition I might be growing FANGs. Oh...wow...I just did.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 12:02:14 PM by drogulus »
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #468 on: November 09, 2017, 04:05:57 PM »
Farewell, GRE.  I will not miss thee.

Online Le Moderniste

« Reply #469 on: November 09, 2017, 09:09:40 PM »
Finally over now, 11 hour trip in total  :'(

Online Le Moderniste

« Reply #470 on: November 09, 2017, 09:38:33 PM »
Farewell, GRE.  I will not miss thee.

:o Congrats Mahlerian!

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #471 on: November 09, 2017, 10:59:18 PM »
An early start. I've already had a run along the road and back and it's still dark and quiet, but not quite as atmospheric as during my recent mornings pounding the pavements in London. I find RVW Symphony No. 2  evocative of that, so bravo to him. Anyway...

To the lawyer today and final details vis a vis my ex-girlfriend receiving her share of the proceeds from the house sale. Financially it would have made more sense to arrange a 'Tenancy in Common' which would mean instead of owning the property together we would each own a distinct share, then rent it out to private tenants and split the resulting (and regular) income. But I didn't want to do that due to my desire for an absolutely clean break. In matters such as these I don't mind cutting off my nose despite my face.

It'll mark the last time she and I have anything to do with each other. And here's kind of a coincidence; there's a big shopping centre/mall that I often use as a shortcut when walking home from town. For the past few years inside the entrance there was one of those rolling advert installations with an advertisement that featured her and two other young women in clichéd posed scenario ('laughing girls wearing bodycon dresses amid party streamers and balloons') but at some point in the last month or so it has gone too.

And it's given me an idea for the dating thread. Actually, I've two ideas for it, because during my recent travels the number of Russian voices I heard made me think of the time I lived and worked in Russia and the women I knew before meeting Tanya. So my experiences of dating Russian women on their own turf might be worth a post.
The other idea is one that would bring things full circle and then close it; 'How to date Toots McGams'.

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #472 on: November 12, 2017, 12:24:59 AM »
There was was a three egg spinach and ricotta omelette and then it was gone. And nutmeg was added to the list of stuff to buy.
Up early on a Sunday with the memory of last night's concert still vivid;  Pintscher conducting (in this intance Stravinsky, Toshio Hosokawa, Takemitsu & Vivier) always seems to attract an audience visibly younger than usual and audibly enthusiastic.

Now, it's time to transfer and unpack, only taking a break for lunch at the popular deli along the road. I've the gym on Monday, but if all goes to plan with no further interruptions I can be finished and then London bound for another spell by Wednesday.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #473 on: November 13, 2017, 07:16:21 AM »
While I have had a reasonably normal and useable speaking voice for almost two weeks now, I cannot yet sing, really.  There is perhaps a perfect fifth in the heart of my range in which I can sing, but I can also feel right away that I should only tire the vocal folds quickly.  There is nothing for it, but to wait it out.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #474 on: November 14, 2017, 12:38:52 AM »
While I have had a reasonably normal and useable speaking voice for almost two weeks now, I cannot yet sing, really.  There is perhaps a perfect fifth in the heart of my range in which I can sing, but I can also feel right away that I should only tire the vocal folds quickly.  There is nothing for it, but to wait it out.

Bravo! That's the spirit. Good stuff. I hope you feel better soon.

Other news - visiting my (used) book guy today. Meant to do it yesterday, but I forgot. Also, I need to buy one of those little drawstring gym bags for putting stuff in. The only one I have at hand belonged to my ex and has unicorns printed on it, and there are none of those in my life right now.

e: but after a closer look, the first order of the day will have to be shaving my hair - right into the wood.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 12:49:29 AM by NikF »

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #475 on: November 17, 2017, 02:22:34 AM »
Train travel is romantic, even with my only company being a book of plays by Giraudoux, a pile of boiled egg sandwiches (prepared by my own hand and wrapped in the paper from the loaf of bread) and not one, but two pints of full fat milk. Also, I'm wearing a shell pink fitted T-shirt, which looks cool and should remain so throughout the journey if I refrain from dropping boiled egg all over it.

Online Le Moderniste

« Reply #477 on: November 20, 2017, 01:32:57 PM »
My bus card has malfunctioned (which had only just been topped up with $150  :'( :'( ) and I've been forced to cash out extra money just to get to university, till I have the time later this afternoon to go into the company's office to get it replace and the money transferred.

It scared the shit out of me yesterday morning when I hopped on the bus and swiped the card, only to have the machine tell me "please pay the driver". Like, money isn't easy to come by as as a university student and I'm getting it robbed essentially because of a malfunction. Just my luck!  >:(

Although weather's great and I have lots of assigned reading to get through  :laugh:

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK