Author Topic: Random Daily, Personal Adventures and Stuff  (Read 13727 times)

Offline α |

• Veteran member
  • Variations of Armature Pianist and Arm Chair Paris
Re: Random Daily, Personal Adventures and Stuff
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2017, 09:30:13 AM »
Or even worse than that - someone who doesn't like Xenakis:laugh:

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2017, 05:32:51 PM »
So how's the bus trip

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2017, 12:20:46 AM »
Well it ended up 9 hours (to the expected 12), which is a tiny bit better. Just got back, fucking sore AF  :'( :'(

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2017, 04:22:41 AM »
Sleep well :)

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • Walking the walk.
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2017, 11:51:26 AM »
I've been to the gym because I don't make excuses. 8)
Afterwards on the way back I went to a cafe and had a fish tea (deep fried fillet of haddock, served with chips, salad, two slices of bread and butter, and a pot of tea) and then a casual stroll along the road and halfway up the hill and now I'm home and will drink whisky. ;D

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2017, 05:11:26 PM »
Sleep well :)

and I did, just wake up 20 minutes ago. I got at least around 11 and a half hours sleep. Feeling all weird being "home" again  ???  (cause I don't live there anymore)

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • Walking the walk.
« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2017, 05:15:01 AM »
To try and cut a long story short...

A few months ago I put my house up for sale. Then last month a neighbour two houses further away had structural work done to their house during which some movement was noted under the property.
Since then, they and my immediate neighbour and myself have had borehole tests all over our properties and the road outside. There will also be further checks on the 'made ground' underneath the houses and then finally an analysis of the soil. My house is a c-listed building, and I've always tried to ensure it's well kept and in a condition fitting that category - once in a while people would stop and take photos of it (or maybe they were only taking photos of my ex  :o :laugh:)  - but right now it's a mess and the appearance is approaching that of a building site. And that's not even taking into account a worst case *scenario. Anyway, all of this isn't my idea of a good time. But as ever I am being cool.

* the scenario being similar to 'Quatermass and the Pit' https://i.imgur.com/SZDxVgl.jpg - although I've got to say that would be kind of cool, especially if my insurance covered it. ;D

Online drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2017, 09:08:32 AM »

This Quatermass stuff happens to me from time to time. It's not all Cowcats and bunnies, you know. What if there's a wormhole in a space under the basement that takes you to the Andromeda galaxy where I'm told the shrimp donuts are to die for?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • Walking the walk.
« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2017, 11:50:47 AM »
    This Quatermass stuff happens to me from time to time. It's not all Cowcats and bunnies, you know. What if there's a wormhole in a space under the basement that takes you to the Andromeda galaxy where I'm told the shrimp donuts are to die for?

I can never go back there again. The last time I went I got caught flirting with the mayor's daughter and was tarred and feathered and run out of town.

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • Walking the walk.
« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2017, 02:27:29 PM »
I'd like to call on my baby tonight,
and give my all to my baby tonight,
but I can't play ball with my baby tonight,
cause it's too darn hot it's too darn hot.

At the gym tonight during what was apparently the hottest day in June for 40 years. I walked home slowly, stopped in the deli to collect a takeaway tomato, olive and feta pasta salad, then in to a service station to buy milk, up the hill and through the gate and straight to take a shower.
I noticed I've no bread. If I were uncouth I'd have yelled out a window to my neighbour across the road to ask if she has any and if she would like a small portion of my salad, but I settled for sending a SMS - all in all an example of me being a good neighbour. ;D

Offline aleazk

• My stuff
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2017, 03:21:35 PM »
Today was the final class in a course I was taking given by a top researcher in a cutting edge topic... sounds good, isn't? Well, unfortunately, it was not... I'm rather dissapointed... the guy spendend half of the semester reviewing stuff that we all already knew since that stuff was just the basic prerequisite for a course on this topic... and he knew that all of the people there was very familiar with that material... why he did that then? I don't know... maybe he came here to take some paid vacations... that was the main hypothesis among us, since that material was zero effort for him... and even for us... When he finally got to say something about the advanced topic... it was all rushed... I already knew the basics of this topic and I didn't learn anything new from this course... all the students were hoping for an intensive and deep course and we only got just a handful of hand-waving explanations... rant off.

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2017, 04:03:33 PM »
Today was the final class in a course I was taking given by a top researcher in a cutting edge topic... sounds good, isn't? Well, unfortunately, it was not... I'm rather dissapointed... the guy spendend half of the semester reviewing stuff that we all already knew since that stuff was just the basic prerequisite for a course on this topic... and he knew that all of the people there was very familiar with that material... why he did that then? I don't know... maybe he came here to take some paid vacations... that was the main hypothesis among us, since that material was zero effort for him... and even for us... When he finally got to say something about the advanced topic... it was all rushed... I already knew the basics of this topic and I didn't learn anything new from this course... all the students were hoping for an intensive and deep course and we only got just a handful of hand-waving explanations... rant off.

Sounds pretty terrible. Maybe you could run some classes.......a summer course? ;)

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2017, 05:52:49 PM »

My most disappointing course in college was on Yeats with Richard Ellman, who at that time was THE Yeats expert, having authored the best biography, etc. He came by special arrangement each spring to teach one course. My class with him was the first year, so everyone expected much....I learned almost nothing.  The upside was we all got As and since he actually spent half the semester in residence, I had extra free time for the last half of spring semester.

Online drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2017, 07:31:07 PM »
     I went to the doctor today. They took my blood pressure and my pulse. I'm supposed to have a physical soon.

On the whole I'm healthy. Is that normal, I mean should I be the way I am? I'm a little puzzled, if you asked me 10, 15 years ago I might have predicted I'd be, I don't know, 68 years old in more than just years, like really falling apart. People around me are getting sick and dying, their vision is going and their hearing, too, and then some die. My bass tech up and died not long after I got an email from him saying I can come pick up my Polish bass with the new pickup and blend pot. Why do J basses have 2 tone pots and a volume pot? I never understood that. So Jim is dead, a renowned figure.

What else......oh, my binary has family in St.Louis we'll visit in maybe October, her cousin who was raised with her as a kind of brother. There's a lot of cousin/brother stuff going on in that family, I can't keep track of it, not that it matters to anyone much, they all know who they are to each other and it's OK by them that I don't.

The cousin works at Raytheon and I tease him about cruise missiles. He'll retire soon, he's 70. Another family member worked at RCA years back and has patents on something vacuum tube related, I haven't found out what. The guy is long dead and the daughter doesn't have the facts at hand. The RCA radio manual is where many guitar amp designs came from. Raytheon tubes were used in early missile guidance systems. You can still buy them for your guitar amp, they are not as expensive as the best 1950s RCAs, but very good.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 07:46:01 PM by drogulus »
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • Walking the walk.
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2017, 07:00:59 AM »
     I went to the doctor today. They took my blood pressure and my pulse. I'm supposed to have a physical soon.

On the whole I'm healthy. Is that normal, I mean should I be the way I am? I'm a little puzzled, if you asked me 10, 15 years ago I might have predicted I'd be, I don't know, 68 years old in more than just years, like really falling apart. People around me are getting sick and dying, their vision is going and their hearing, too, and then some die. My bass tech up and died not long after I got an email from him saying I can come pick up my Polish bass with the new pickup and blend pot. Why do J basses have 2 tone pots and a volume pot? I never understood that. So Jim is dead, a renowned figure.

What else......oh, my binary has family in St.Louis we'll visit in maybe October, her cousin who was raised with her as a kind of brother. There's a lot of cousin/brother stuff going on in that family, I can't keep track of it, not that it matters to anyone much, they all know who they are to each other and it's OK by them that I don't.

The cousin works at Raytheon and I tease him about cruise missiles. He'll retire soon, he's 70. Another family member worked at RCA years back and has patents on something vacuum tube related, I haven't found out what. The guy is long dead and the daughter doesn't have the facts at hand. The RCA radio manual is where many guitar amp designs came from. Raytheon tubes were used in early missile guidance systems. You can still buy them for your guitar amp, they are not as expensive as the best 1950s RCAs, but very good.

Well, healthy is good. And it's all anyone can hope for.
I cant remember the last time I had a cold or flu or even a headache. That's because I eat, exercise and sleep like an adult. But it's no guarantee I'm always going to be healthy. Sometimes out of nowhere life just trips a person up. Having said that, I don't worry about that happening. ;D

When I get my new guitar I'll maybe think about a new amp. But it'll probably be solid state. :o

e: and my 'daily personal adventure for today' is that I finally oiled the gate after listening to workmen opening and shutting it what seemed like every few minutes. A thrilling day indeed.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 07:17:25 AM by NikF »

Online drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2017, 07:57:15 AM »
Well, healthy is good. And it's all anyone can hope for.
I cant remember the last time I had a cold or flu or even a headache. That's because I eat, exercise and sleep like an adult. But it's no guarantee I'm always going to be healthy. Sometimes out of nowhere life just trips a person up. Having said that, I don't worry about that happening. ;D

When I get my new guitar I'll maybe think about a new amp. But it'll probably be solid state. :o

e: and my 'daily personal adventure for today' is that I finally oiled the gate after listening to workmen opening and shutting it what seemed like every few minutes. A thrilling day indeed.  :laugh:

Yeah I don't do that. I do avoid solid state amps like an adult, that's about it. Seriously, there are very good ones, not even expensive ones.

Maybe I should start a guitars and basses and amps conversation for people with gearheadish interests, but haven't I tried? I was thinking about general philosophical stuff too, like "why is there something rather than everything?", like that. Then there's economics and investing.

I took the trolley to the Star Market to buy nonadult food. It would be a boring life for anyone but me. I don't get boredom.

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • Walking the walk.
« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2017, 08:55:43 AM »
      Yeah I don't do that. I do avoid solid state amps like an adult, that's about it. Seriously, there are very good ones, not even expensive ones.

Maybe I should start a guitars and basses and amps conversation for people with gearheadish interests, but haven't I tried? I was thinking about general philosophical stuff too, like "why is there something rather than everything?", like that. Then there's economics and investing.

I took the trolley to the Star Market to buy nonadult food. It would be a boring life for anyone but me. I don't get boredom.

Yeah, a gearhead thread would be fun. I don't know a lot about that stuff but it wouldn't prevent me from posting in it. ;D Solid state amps - sure, I can think of a few. You should make the thread.

I'm sure a general philosophical thread would be of interest too. But I forecast that at some point if/when Objectivism is discussed the more insecure and babyish posters will start to cry and run away as soon as someone laughs at Ayn Rand's hat.

Eating like an adult = it's all 'adult food' if people want it to be. And it's all 'healthy food' too. I don't eat a whole box of donuts every day, but because I'm an adult I can control myself enough to enjoy a couple of donuts every day.

So what did you buy from the Star Market. Shrimp donuts?

Online drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2017, 09:20:43 AM »

So what did you buy from the Star Market. Shrimp donuts?

As if....I got pork chops and kielbasa, scalloped potooties, Mexican sodas, can o' beans. I got salad veg's in the house. We're going to Maine tomorrow for vacation and the amp thing so I shopped lite, to have something on deck for when we get back.

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • Walking the walk.
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2017, 09:42:48 AM »
     As if....I got pork chops and kielbasa, scalloped potooties, Mexican sodas, can o' beans. I got salad veg's in the house. We're going to Maine tomorrow for vacation and the amp thing so I shopped lite, to have something on deck for when we get back.

Yeah, that's sensible. And it's far more sensible than "When I get back I'll just order a takeaway curry to be delivered".

Maine? Sounds good. Hope you enjoy it. And while you're there, if you visit Crabapple Cove and see Hawkeye, tell him I always thought he was really funny apart from the episodes that painted him as a victim in an attempt to elicit sympathy. Those were a drag.

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • Walking the walk.
« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2017, 05:47:28 AM »
Going to the gym and then to Edinburgh to meet with friends. Returning early tomorrow for lunch and then I'm attending a concert.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK