Author Topic: Nah  (Read 21439 times)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Re: Random Daily, Personal Adventures and Stuff
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2017, 12:51:56 PM »
Seeing The Cunning Little Vixen with two of my composer friends this evening.

I find that the composition students at the conservatory I attend are the most supportive and wholesome people I have ever met. Everyone just loves each other and we are always enthusiastic about each other's work and achievements.

I have absolutely no idea why the instrumental departments have so much rivalry in them between the students and also in the staff. I am doing my major in composition but also a minor in music performance as part of my bachelor of music, so at the moment I can really see the difference between both worlds.

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2017, 11:39:24 AM »

I'm in Maine on vacation. I left Ogunquit out of my cosmology, now it's in. It's an ampcation, too as I took no.3 up to an expert in South Portland yesterday, and I called him today. He said it's ready to go, so we will pick it up tomorrow. He said a tube was bad, not what I expected to hear. I think an interrogation will be necessary, not menacing, but how could I have missed a bad tube?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Online NikF

• Veteran member
  • Hassy shenanigans in the digital domain.
« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2017, 08:15:27 AM »
I had a pleasant weekend, mostly due to the fact I was in a different city with different people. Now I'm home and parboiling some potatoes (Maris Piper) which I'll then roast and serve with beef sausages and gravy (gravy = brown sausages in a pan, then remove and keep warm, dump some onion into the pan, then flour, then stock, bung in some thyme,  bring to boil, add more stock/flour as needed, return sausages to pan) and feed my face. Much like myself, simple, cheap and easy. 8)
After that it's a shower, then an early night of bed and a book.

I'm in Maine on vacation. I left Ogunquit out of my cosmology, now it's in. It's an ampcation, too as I took no.3 up to an expert in South Portland yesterday, and I called him today. He said it's ready to go, so we will pick it up tomorrow. He said a tube was bad, not what I expected to hear. I think an interrogation will be necessary, not menacing, but how could I have missed a bad tube?

At work I mostly used two lenses, each mounted on a different camera body. One day we had a bunch of students come in from local college or some place to see how professionals work. Wow. My assistant (and friend and arch nemesis etc) handed me a camera. I took a photo of the back of my hand, lifted the camera to my eye, got the shots, and eventually handed it back. Then I was handed the camera with the longer focal length. I took a photo of the back of my hand...but the shutter wouldn't release. I lifted it to my eye - nothing. I looked at the beautiful model and told her "I'll just be a moment..." and noticed she was surreptitiously gesturing with an elegant finger. Ah. I walked up to her "Thanks..." and used her to hide the fact I was taking the lens cap off.
It happens.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Online NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2017, 09:30:13 AM »
I went to the gym this afternoon. And that's the important thing, that I went. More exactly, I had a busy weekend and so didn't feel like working out today. It happens sometimes. But I went and worked as hard as I felt I could. If there's a secret to this (and other) stuff it's that no matter how you're feeling or what might be going on in your life, you move forward. And even if it's movement that's not readily apparent to others and is perhaps only barely perceptible to yourself, just keep moving forward.

e: and now with a single malt in hand I'm developing some MF black and white stuff from more than one year ago.  8)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 10:16:13 AM by NikF »
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

kishnevi

« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2017, 05:50:42 AM »
Also got a new phone and the autocorrect is pissing me off  >:(

That's the purpose of autocorrect, after all.

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2017, 05:54:01 AM »

There's a Turkish restaurant near the Walgreens in My Cosmology, maybe four blocks. I love the grape leaves appetizer.

I'm suffering from the loss of a source for fried smelts. A Greek restaurant near me closed and now I have nowhere to go.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Offline nodogen

• Veteran member
« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2017, 06:00:32 AM »
Also got a new phone and the autocorrect is pissing me off  >:(

Really? I've got it on this device and it's never a prostitute. In fart, it makes for far easier posturing as it saves me having to tyre a lot of worms. You'll get used to it, it's a real boot for Lazarus people like me.

Online NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2017, 08:22:40 PM »
This morning I'm going to the gym. And all being well, in just over one month from now I'll be back on the trapeze. And perhaps even have my house sold. :o But right now, the gym -

"...and if you form the habit of taking such exercises, you will see what mighty shoulders you develop, what sinews, what vigour and that chicks dig them." –  Epictetus, Discourses, II, 19 [3]b

Offline aleazk

• My stuff
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2017, 11:46:43 AM »
Until the airlines here finally put some planes to connect my native city with the one in which I live now... I had to sit 8 hours on a bus each trip... so I know what it feels, bro  :'(  :-\ :-X:laugh:

Now it's just a 50 mins fly  ;D ;D

Offline aleazk

• My stuff
« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2017, 11:50:42 AM »
Not to mention the 85384 stops in ghost towns... people in and out constantly... junk food in the floor... babies crying... all types of smells... once I got a cold later because someone in the bus had a cold...

Offline aleazk

• My stuff
« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2017, 11:53:10 AM »
... and, of course...

:laugh:

Parsifal

« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2017, 12:31:10 PM »
Just returned from a day long trip to Houston, Texas. Everything is bigger than expected and everything is more spread out than expected.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2017, 01:29:04 PM »
Just returned from a day long trip to Houston, Texas. Everything is bigger than expected and everything is more spread out than expected.

Isn't everything bigger in Texas?

ComposerOfAvantGarde

« Reply #93 on: July 04, 2017, 01:30:28 PM »
I had the first rehearsal of Mozart's Requiem with choir on Monday. Second one this evening. We don't have as many rehearsals as usual to learn this before Richard Egarr comes to conduct.

Online NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2017, 08:25:13 PM »
Today - gym. I'll get some milk and a burger on the way home and then for an hour or so sleep the sleep of the innocent.

Tonight - a few of us are having dinner here http://www.monocafebar.com and then going to see 'Timon of Athens' performed by https://www.bardinthebotanics.co.uk/ Due to inclement weather the venue is now -

I also have tickets for 'Measure for Measure' later in the month, but don't know if I'll be attending yet.

Finally, the house is almost empty now and the reverb offered by the bare walls and floors tempts me to recreate a hammer blow a la Mahler's 6th.

Online NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2017, 09:36:58 PM »
I have just gotten home and had a shower after my 1̶1̶ ̶h̶o̶u̶r̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶r̶t̶u̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶r̶i̶e̶n̶d̶s̶ ̶m̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶s̶  very long bus drive and I've come to the conclusion that my life's purpose is to be a chicken farmer

At which point you discover you're allergic to feathers.

Online NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2017, 02:16:56 AM »
Nik, you got anything on flat conduct?  :-X

Short answer: No. Just be a man (but not a macho dick) and stay calm and confident, regardless.

Long answer: Probably the most valuable advice in that specific situation is 'Don't sh-t on your own doorstep'. I'll just repeat that and give you a chance to let it sink in; 'Don't sh-t on your own doorstep'.

But you probably don't want to hear that. And I want to give advice. ;D So...

Is your flatmate flirting with you? I don't know. But if I were in your shoes I would flirt back, although not drag it out too long or take it too far. And I would enjoy it, because flirting is fun and doesn't necessarily have to mean anything more. Bonus: when you are a relatively Young Person™ it's also an ideal, no pressure, and free of charge opportunity to gain experience in talking with the sex you want to sex.   8)

When Uni starts up again, I'm sure I'll be raking up the girls but for now....   :laugh:

I'm sure you will and in the process receive a fine education and end up with a greater cult following than David Lynch.  ???  :laugh:

Online NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2017, 03:10:00 AM »
Now that I think about it, this should've gone on the dating thread shouldn't it  :laugh:

Maybe. But based on your above piece I'm considering commissioning you to write the sales blurb for the advert selling my house. ;D

ComposerOfAvantGarde

« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2017, 03:33:26 AM »
I have decided to try to learn German again (using various internet resources and people I find on the internet).

Alien, if you ever want to write an opera with a German libretto (a much nicer language to sing than English) I will see if I can one day somehow help create it. :laugh:

Your imagination is, as usual, amazing.

Parsifal

« Reply #99 on: July 06, 2017, 07:38:13 AM »
Isn't everything bigger in Texas?

Houston especially. The rental car center at International Airport is roughly the size of the Metropolitan Opera House, in New York.