Author Topic: UK Politics / Current Affairs  (Read 4568 times)

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
  • Currently Listening to:
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
Re: UK Politics / Current Affairs
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2017, 09:35:14 AM »
Bankers arent the patient type:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKBN19W1UV

As a result the price of office space in a number of European cities is soring.  Mrs May still has until september/october to stop the movement but not a lot more.

They should rename The Department for Exiting the European Union to:

The Department for Exiting the United Kingdom....

The "Brexodus" is imminent.... Banks, doctors, nurses, engineers, fruit pickers, builders, researchers, university professors.... they all will be gone soon, just as the Brexiteers wanted them to. Who needs "all these foreigners" anyway?  ;)

Fortunately the UK doesn't need to build a wall, like Trump wants.
Though the English might need to patch up Hadrian's Wall if Scotland runs to the exit as well....

Q
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 09:39:31 AM by Que »
À chacun son goût.

Offline Mr. Minnow

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2017, 02:02:48 PM »
The "Brexodus" is imminent.... Banks, doctors, nurses, engineers, fruit pickers, builders, researchers, university professors.... they all will be gone soon, just as the Brexiteers wanted them to. Who needs "all these foreigners" anyway?  ;)

Especially the likes of doctors and university professors. They're experts, and we all know how anti-Britain experts are. People who know stuff? Pah, we don't need their sort here!

Offline nodogen

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2017, 02:41:26 AM »
📢📢📢📢📢📢📢📢📢📢📢📢📢📢📢📢📢📢📢

Crowdfunding request!

"Join me in fighting this unlawful action by our Government in buying the DUP votes to keep it in power, a move that is in direct violation of its rigorous impartiality required by the Good Friday Agreement."

https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/challenge-dup-deal/

"Following the overwhelming amount of support I've received so far with this crowdfunding campaign, today I instructed my lawyer to issue the application for judicial review of the decision by Theresa May to enter into the agreement with the DUP."

Every little help helps!

Offline nodogen

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2017, 02:00:42 PM »
May and the Tories hate democracy, hate scrutiny, hate accountability, despise the general public. Here's the latest:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/20/tories-use-take-out-the-trash-day-to-dump-controversial-reports
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 02:06:54 PM by nodogen »

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2017, 02:08:58 PM »
May and the Tories hate democracy, hate scrutiny, hate accountability, despise the general public. Here's the latest:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/20/tories-use-take-out-the-trash-day-to-dump-controversial-reports#comments

Heavens, at first I thought that meant literally throwing documents into the garbage

However, that's similar to here, where any announcements the pertinent official wants lost in the shuffle are made on Friday afternoon.

Offline nodogen

« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2017, 02:23:26 PM »
Heavens, at first I thought that meant literally throwing documents into the garbage

However, that's similar to here, where any announcements the pertinent official wants lost in the shuffle are made on Friday afternoon.

This is 7 weeks though.

Offline Mr. Minnow

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2017, 03:01:22 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/20/tories-use-take-out-the-trash-day-to-dump-controversial-reports

The Tory Brexiteers will be outraged by this, given their unimpeachable commitment to the supremacy of parliament. Just wait.

Offline nodogen

« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2017, 01:44:26 PM »
Today I asked my constituency MP (Labour) what his thoughts were on the likely longevity of this government.

Regarding May, he reckons she'll be gone by the end of the year.

Regarding the government he sees 3 likely times:

1. October (!!!!!)

2. Mid 2019

3. Full 5 year term (2022)

Take your pick. 🤔

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 01:51:45 PM by nodogen »

Offline nodogen

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2017, 01:53:51 PM »
The Tory Brexiteers will be outraged by this, given their unimpeachable commitment to the supremacy of parliament. Just wait.

They're demanding the immediate recall of parliament from the summer recess to fully debate these reports.

And then I woke up.

Offline Mr. Minnow

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2017, 02:59:33 PM »
Today I asked my constituency MP (Labour) what his thoughts were on the likely longevity of this government.

Regarding May, he reckons she'll be gone by the end of the year.

Regarding the government he sees 3 likely times:

1. October (!!!!!)

2. Mid 2019

3. Full 5 year term (2022)

Take your pick. 🤔

The second seems the most likely to me. There is currently no obvious successor, which is what is keeping May in place (that, and the fact that Tory MPs fear they'd lose another election were it to happen any time soon). I think they'll keep her there until the Brexit negotiations are complete and then get rid of her. In the highly unlikely event that the Brexit negotiations go well, they may want to go for another early election whose theme would be "look at the great deal we've got!". Even then though they still wouldn't want another election with May as leader given what happened last month, so they'd want to try their luck with someone else at the helm.

In the much more likely event that the Brexit negotiations go tits up and we get a bad deal or no deal at all, they'd want to offload the toxic political consequences of that on to May, so she'd still be gone. They could then try carrying on in the hope that her successor wouldn't be too tainted by Brexit, but having another PM who hadn't faced a general election would be hard to sustain for long; though I suppose if it's clear from the polls that the Tories are in really deep shit they might try limping on as close to 2022 as they can manage in the hope that something turns up. Still not sure that wouldn't do them more harm than good though. 

Offline nodogen

« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2017, 01:20:51 AM »
With all the doom and gloom around, here's a light-hearted quiz:

Which one of these is the biggest ****?

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2017, 10:51:50 AM »
I have no idea, but isn't burdening your children with names such as those inflicted on Mr Rees-Mogg's offspring a form of abuse?

Offline nodogen

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2017, 12:56:19 PM »
I have no idea, but isn't burdening your children with names such as those inflicted on Mr Rees-Mogg's offspring a form of abuse?

Probably. What are they?

Edit: Just found Sixtus. Sounds par for the course. 😒
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 01:38:02 PM by nodogen »

Offline nodogen

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2017, 01:35:16 PM »

Having just read up on both I couldn't possibly choose between them.

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2017, 02:37:28 PM »
Probably. What are they?

Edit: Just found Sixtus. Sounds par for the course. 😒

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 06:06:37 PM by Jeffrey Smith »

Offline Mr. Minnow

« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2017, 03:21:13 PM »

It's a tough choice, but I think Farage shades it due to his faux "man of the people" routine. Whatever else we might say about the Right Honourable Member for the 18th Century, no-one could accuse him of that.

Edit: just read an article about Rees-Mogg which, incredible as it may seem, says he has in fact claimed to be a man of the people. Which people is not entirely clear. So, back to level pegging with Farage in the race for the coveted Biggest **** Trophy.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 03:33:40 PM by Mr. Minnow »

Offline nodogen

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2017, 01:09:55 AM »

...and in the world they grow up in (short of a revolution) such names will not be any impediment; indeed may even be a boon.

Offline nodogen

« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2017, 01:12:41 AM »
It's a tough choice, but I think Farage shades it due to his faux "man of the people" routine. Whatever else we might say about the Right Honourable Member for the 18th Century, no-one could accuse him of that.

Edit: just read an article about Rees-Mogg which, incredible as it may seem, says he has in fact claimed to be a man of the people. Which people is not entirely clear. So, back to level pegging with Farage in the race for the coveted Biggest **** Trophy.

Yes, it's a tough choice. They've both got form for "accidentally" associating with the far right (Farage - EDL, Rees-mogg - Traditional Britain Group).

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2017, 01:56:09 AM »
It's a small step to Barmy Fotheringay-Fipps and Gussy Fink-Nottle!

Plus is probably rather Pius? The girl's names are o.k. and the boys all have one fairly common name among the lot and can later go by Pete, Tom, Charlie, Freddy, Chris.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Wendell_E

• Currently Listening to:
    mostly opera and chamber music
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2017, 03:31:28 AM »

;D Well, they all have at least one "normal" name they can go by.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK