Author Topic: Film/Movie Discussion  (Read 1296 times)

Offline α |

• Veteran member
  • Variations of Armature Pianist and Arm Chair Paris
  • Currently Listening to:
    Heavy breathing and sirens
Film/Movie Discussion
« on: July 10, 2017, 08:42:24 PM »
Let's start  8)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:57:54 PM by α | »
Coffee, Contemporary classical, Cheeseburger, Women, Lasagna, Cinema  8)

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
Re: Film Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 09:07:06 PM »
Is this what it's all about?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054167/
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 09:53:39 PM »
I used to shoot almost exclusively Kodachrome 64 and 200 with my Olympus OM-2s film SLR back in the day, but I've been shooting digital for the last decade--currently with a Nikon D7200 as my main camera. Digital blows away 35mm film in just about every criterion including resolution, noise, high ISO performance, etc. (Yes, there was something special about Kodachrome)--to say nothing of the ease and low cost of post-processing. I used to use orthochromatic BW film for very high resolution TEM work. Developing those was fun, but they needed to be scanned. New TEMs should have comparable resolution, especially with auto-montage functions.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
Re: Film/Movie Discussion
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 10:26:07 PM »
OH, MOVIES! Now you tell me!  8)

For some reason, I actually have a really hard time watching movies, even though on one level I would like to. Sometimes I look on Netflix and Hulu and spend up to an hour looking through the offerings, but cannot decide on anything. Even my favorite films--e.g., 2001 A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner, La Dolce Vita, etc, I watch rarely. I cannot remember the last time I watched an entire film from beginning to end. Trainspotting was the last one I think--an excellent film, but difficult to watch in some parts. My wife and I don't share much in common in terms of movie interests, but I find it easier to watch something with her than alone--I guess I justify it in terms of good time spent together--we both love Fargo--that's one! TV is easier. WE both love Tony Bourdain's shows, Rick Steve's Europe, The Sopranos (which we are catching up on almost two decades later).

I guess I have a difficult time justifying the time investment given all my other interests, music listening, playing the piano, photography, writing--to say nothing of taking frequent walks, and making time for daydreaming.

I am interested in exploring more of Fellini and Werner Herzog. I have enormous respect for Herzog and think he sh1ts all over pretty much all the big names in Hollywood from a great height.

Another issue with me is that I have a difficult time following plots. My wife teases me over this--but Herzog said in his book that he does not understand irony, or even the concept, so I guess I'm no stranger in my lack of understanding of, or even interest in plots. I almost resent having to follow someone's story line or idea of what to make of things. My favorite films seem to have either a very minimal plot line (2001 A Space Odyssey), or are documentaries (e.g., Herzog's Encounters at the End of the World, or Death for Five Voices), or have such a ridiculous plot that it is totally beside the point (the Big Lebowski). Taxi Driver is one example. I really liked the film, cinematography, De Niro's acting, etc., but I don't understand the plot, especially the end.

Even when I was a kid, I was bored to tears by all the big blockbusters I was expected to worship and adore--Star Wars, Indiana Jones, E.T., Close Encounterszzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzz.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 10:43:15 PM by XB-70 Valkyrie »
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Offline springrite

• Veteran member
    Lots of Bach, Brian, Mahler, Rubbra, Beethoven and Buddhist chants
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 11:22:34 PM »
Last semester I taught a very successful class on screenplay writing.

Now it's time to finish my screenplay!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 11:53:45 PM »
Last semester I taught a very successful class on screenplay writing.

Now it's time to finish my screenplay!

I have a screenplay from a few years ago that I was really into that I just gave up on for some reason (well the premise and setting was ambitious) that I should really dig up again.

I've been thinking about starting to get into a flow of writing several screenplays this year? (I know it takes quite a few drafts to get it good)

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 11:57:07 PM »

For some reason, I actually have a really hard time watching movies, even though on one level I would like to. Sometimes I look on Netflix and Hulu and spend up to an hour looking through the offerings, but cannot decide on anything. Even my favorite films--e.g., 2001 A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner, La Dolce Vita, etc, I watch rarely. I cannot remember the last time I watched an entire film from beginning to end. Trainspotting was the last one I think--an excellent film, but difficult to watch in some parts. My wife and I don't share much in common in terms of movie interests, but I find it easier to watch something with her than alone--I guess I justify it in terms of good time spent together--we both love Fargo--that's one! TV is easier. WE both love Tony Bourdain's shows, Rick Steve's Europe, The Sopranos (which we are catching up on almost two decades later).

I guess I have a difficult time justifying the time investment given all my other interests, music listening, playing the piano, photography, writing--to say nothing of taking frequent walks, and making time for daydreaming.

I am interested in exploring more of Fellini and Werner Herzog. I have enormous respect for Herzog and think he sh1ts all over pretty much all the big names in Hollywood from a great height.

Another issue with me is that I have a difficult time following plots. My wife teases me over this--but Herzog said in his book that he does not understand irony, or even the concept, so I guess I'm no stranger in my lack of understanding of, or even interest in plots. I almost resent having to follow someone's story line or idea of what to make of things. My favorite films seem to have either a very minimal plot line (2001 A Space Odyssey), or are documentaries (e.g., Herzog's Encounters at the End of the World, or Death for Five Voices), or have such a ridiculous plot that it is totally beside the point (the Big Lebowski). Taxi Driver is one example. I really liked the film, cinematography, De Niro's acting, etc., but I don't understand the plot, especially the end.

Even when I was a kid, I was bored to tears by all the big blockbusters I was expected to worship and adore--Star Wars, Indiana Jones, E.T., Close Encounterszzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzz.

I definitely agree and share quite a few things you say there, though I do lean towards Surreal/absurd and "abstract" (it's a stupid word for art, really) cinema.
2001, Lebowski, Fellini, Taxi Driver, all get the thumbs up from me. (I have a soft spot for the Indiana Jones trilogy but it's not something I really need to watch again, you know?)

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 12:00:28 AM »
I have a film script literally lodged into my brain that I need to get out at the moment, concerning nighttime city life. It's scary (not horror though), cynical, surreal, violent (lots of dark alleys), cold and very interwoven. I can't give away anything though  :P

Offline pjme

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 12:48:09 AM »

"a film script literally lodged into my brain that I need to get out at the moment"

;)

P.

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 12:49:43 AM »
If I pursue film professionally  (not lame Hollywood though), "film-school" will absolutely NOT be where I take it. If I was to do that, I'd be better off giving $3,000 to some random person on the street.

No, simply starting off making projects and trying to either meet actors or people who would be good at acting, first off is the way to go. Produce a portfolio of really creative and imaginative short-films, maybe one day I could get a bigger budget. But there are plenty of projects I could do once I get a team and some decent gear.  8)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 12:52:55 AM by α | »

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 12:50:37 AM »
"a film script literally lodged into my brain that I need to get out at the moment"

;)

P.

Very apt, I was thinking the same  ;D

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 12:52:10 AM »
Let's start  8)

Hmmm...

That's a good question. That's a good question indeed, Marc. And I like your suggestion. :)
Here's some other things I think it could be about (;))

Could be that it's simply about being at least 16 fps? And speaking of that...
Could be that it's about screwing young actresses on the casting couch?
Could be it's about living your whole movie going life is believing you're informed, but blissfully unaware of all the stuff like the animated spotlights in the 20th Century Fox logo are there to manipulate you before the feature even starts? (a la bench pressing 60% of your 1 rep max before getting down to the real work. But for your eyes. Yeah, exactly.) What chance have you got, really...

If you have even a modicum of integrity perhaps it's about creating something that you would create anyway even if you knew no one else would ever see it?   0:)

Or maybe it's about autists auteurs running around the Internet and screaming "I'm a filmmaker! Read my top 10 list of films! And although I know I can't even finish wiping my own arse unaided; Patreon, Kickstarter, GoFundMe!"

In the past it could have been about living your whole life with the discipline installed during teenage years courtesy of those 50ft offering a mere three minutes and 20 seconds?

I'm sure there are those who would say it's about stuff like this -

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/KTZclj5hcg8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/KTZclj5hcg8</a>

(And if you watch that scene while in a theatre, enjoy the little 'trick' that's put in place during the moment when she's walking back and forth.)

Then again, it could be about amateurs who are nothing more than everyday garden variety consumers desperately trying to be taken seriously and validate themselves via the products they buy. (cellphones, cars, shoes, trophy wives and anything else with a label.)

With that in mind, then it could be that it's cynically all about what's found in the old saying -
"Find a good site to sell popcorn and build a cinema there." How sad. :(

Or it's about content creators for YouTube who play at being artists including writing a bio of themselves in the third person. LMFAO.

In part it must at least be about the kind of symbolism inherent during the final scene of Hitchcock's 'North by Northwest' when a train drives into Eva Marie Saint or something.

But if forced, if pressed, if bundled into an alleyway and threatened by Viktor Shklovsky, I'd say it's all about this -

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/oqCQuiq6eOo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/oqCQuiq6eOo</a>

Or

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CUQvITehr34" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/CUQvITehr34</a>

Or

NSFW

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2AOWWTilu6Q" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/2AOWWTilu6Q</a>

Or at least, it should be. :)

e:
"And two hard-boiled eggs."
*honk*
"Make that three hard boiled eggs".

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 12:54:41 AM by NikF »

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 12:55:27 AM »

Ahh this one!  :D

I forgot about this post, the classic 60s thriller.

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 01:11:34 AM »
To expound on myself:

Surreal/absurd films
Abstract/ambiguous films
The first two also includes stuff like early dada and fluxus stuff, which I often find very entertaining and satisfying.
Film Noir (especially cynical and dangerous ones, but the genre in general is sweet)
Sci-fi (really depends on what it is but I love....aliens)
Horror movies (when not cliche and actually scary, with a sense of visual beauty, however subtle)
Monster Movies (technically horror, but giving them a special callout)
A good western is awesome
70s exploitation films are very fascinating, but when they're great, they're great but when they're not, you know what they're like  ::)
Then the crime drama stuff, which really varies and sometimes Hollywood directors turn up with something like Memento  :D
Then you got comedy and stuff like the early Peter Jackson films  :laugh: ****ing priceless!

Then with directors, a lot of my favorite (which include Lynch, Tarantino, Fellini, Begman, Hitchcock, sometimes Kubrick) often fuse multiple categories in their best work, hence it's hard categorize  :laugh:

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2017, 01:16:35 AM »
2001: A Space Odyssey was on TV here (UK) a couple of nights ago although you really need to see it in a wide-screen cinema. I saw it eight times in the cinema when it first came out when I was a tinsy child of 13.
Other favourites, leaving aside classic B&W cinema include:

Boorman's 'Excalibur'

Little Miss Sunshine

Also many war movies like 'Saving Private Ryan'

+ Many more.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 01:21:44 AM »
2001 is a beautiful film, incredible set design. It has "aged" very very well, it's surprising. Kubrick knew very well, what to do and what was possible with his 60s resources. The famous stargate sequence too, all produced psychically. 

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 01:30:15 AM »
Also many war movies like 'Saving Private Ryan'

One of Speilborg's best IMO

Online ritter

• Veteran member
  • Set design for Le Tricorne (Pablo Picasso)
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 01:39:56 AM »
Not really that much of a film man myself, but the single movie that has made the greatest impact on me ever is Michelangelo Antonioni's La Notte. I saw it as a teenager on TV, and was bowled over. I saw in it then (and much more so, now) the pinnacle of cinema as an art form. The visual beauty and "architecture" of the images, the detailed description of a social milieu with very economical narrative means, and the superb acting (particularly, Jeanne Moreau--that long scene where she wanders around half-empty Milanese neighbourhoods is simply stunning). An elusive work of intense beauty IMHO.

Even the opening credits, shot from Milan's Pirelli building, are a little gem in themselves:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wM6j5AFv_hU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wM6j5AFv_hU</a>
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
Hannibal de Braut, mort ! Antoine de Mouchy, mort ! Charles Swann, mort ! Adalbert de Montmorency, mort ! ...

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 01:50:14 AM »
Not really that much of a film man myself, but the single movie that has made the greatest impact on me ever is Michelangelo Antonioni's La Notte. I saw it as a teenager on TV, and was bowled over. I saw in it then (and much more so, now) the pinnacle of cinema as an art form. The visual beauty and "architecture" of the images, the detailed description of a social milieu with very economical narrative means, and the superb acting (particularly, Jeanne Moreau--that long scene where she wanders around half-empty Milanese neighbourhoods is simply stunning). An elusive work of intense beauty IMHO.

Even the opening credits, shot from Milan's Pirelli building, are a little gem in themselves:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wM6j5AFv_hU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wM6j5AFv_hU</a>

Good stuff, ritter:)

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 01:55:15 AM »
[...]

:)

That's why I posted the imdb-link.

Am I the peeping Tom?
Or do I watch the works of other peeping Toms?
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK