Author Topic: Film/Movie Discussion  (Read 1316 times)

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
Re: Film/Movie Discussion
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 02:09:18 AM »

I definitely agree and share quite a few things you say there, though I do lean towards Surreal/absurd and "abstract" (it's a stupid word for art, really) cinema.
2001, Lebowski, Fellini, Taxi Driver, all get the thumbs up from me. (I have a soft spot for the Indiana Jones trilogy but it's not something I really need to watch again, you know?)
Lean? Lean????? I think you've fallen way down the rabbit hole in this direction, based on your comments here and elsewhere. :)
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Offline α |

• Veteran member
  • Variations of Armature Pianist and Arm Chair Paris
  • Currently Listening to:
    Heavy breathing and sirens
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2017, 02:15:30 AM »
Lean? Lean????? I think you've fallen way down the rabbit hole in this direction, based on your comments here and elsewhere. :)

David Lean?  :)
Coffee, Contemporary classical, Cheeseburger, Women, Lasagna, Cinema  8)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod nigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2017, 02:18:17 AM »

[...] Even my favorite films--e.g., 2001 A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner, La Dolce Vita, etc, I watch rarely.

To be fair, those are indeed excellent films one would not return to frequently.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. Franoise Gilot

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2017, 05:49:05 PM »
I am one with my avatar  0:)

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2017, 07:10:34 PM »
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 07:12:40 PM by XB-70 Valkyrie »
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2017, 01:05:29 AM »
That's a huge image.  I'm not going to scroll back and forth just to be able read a paragraph.

Got it in text?  TIA
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline pjme

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2017, 02:17:36 AM »
"Learn to have thoughts"...., "Read, read, read, read....", "Break rules..." , "Show the world what this medium should be...Show us!"

http://www.openculture.com/2017/03/great-filmmakers-offer-advice-to-young-directors.html

Many directors who came of age in the sixties and seventies went the traditional route of film school, but one, Werner Herzog, took a bandits way into the craft, stealing a camera from the Munich Film School, feeling that he had some sort of natural right for a camera, a tool to work with.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 02:20:10 AM by pjme »

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2017, 02:36:46 AM »
Some sort of a natural right to steal . . . I dunno . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline pjme

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2017, 04:48:10 AM »
Maybe, for him, it was only "breaking the rules"? ???

This quote I found at Noam Kroll's blog:  http://www.noamkroll.com

Many directors today are like myself in that they often write, shoot and edit their own work, and this website is dedicated to helping filmmakers of all types gain a vast spectrum of knowledge in each aspect of the craft, so that they can become better storytellers.

P.

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2017, 04:53:17 AM »
I gotta revise this thread but I'm still wit' cha, I've been a bit out of it today  :laugh:

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2017, 07:42:03 AM »
If I pursue film professionally  (not lame Hollywood though), "film-school" will absolutely NOT be where I take it. If I was to do that, I'd be better off giving $3,000 to some random person on the street.

No, simply starting off making projects and trying to either meet actors or people who would be good at acting, first off is the way to go. Produce a portfolio of really creative and imaginative short-films, maybe one day I could get a bigger budget. But there are plenty of projects I could do once I get a team and some decent gear.  8)

I went to film school.

Yep.

Now look at me :(

'Disco Ninja Lesbian Vampires' 

... four years ago I was gonna play the gorilla in the halloween scary house thing... and I was gonna apply for 'Human Centipede 3' (which actually got made, I think, lol)...

I once sat next to Forry Ackerman at a screening of 'Dracula vs Frankenstein'

Getting rope now... looking for a cross bar...

:( :( :(

sigh
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2017, 07:58:45 AM »

I went to film school.

Yep.

Now look at me :(

Your best work IMO.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2017, 08:19:58 AM »
Human Centipede  :laugh:
I can't believe how much publicity they gave what where essentially plain bad, and B-movies. Perhaps a funny oddball choice for a popcorn movie marathon but horror?  :laugh:

Lesbian vampires? I remember that movie, crazy!

Dude we should collaborate on a monster movie script?

I've got lots of stuff cooking up here  ;)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2017, 11:44:04 AM »
2001 is a beautiful film, incredible set design. It has "aged" very very well, it's surprising. Kubrick knew very well, what to do and what was possible with his 60s resources. The famous stargate sequence too, all produced psychically.

I saw it eight times in 1968 I was either 12 or 13 and was obsessed by the film. I took my older brother, dad, the au pair etc but none of them liked it as much as I did. Then I was recently reading a book about it which suggested that Kubrick deliberately aimed it at young people who would just get wrapped up in the wonder of the visuals rather than agonising over its 'meaning'. Certainly true in my case. I certainly didn't 'understand' it at the time and am not sure if I do now but I was totally swept up by it. 1968 was an extraordinary year in many respects. The thing I remember is not the tragic assassinations and Vietnam but the view of the earth from Apollo 8 (Borman, Lovell, Anders - I still remember). In some ways this was a greater moment I think than the moon landing the following year. I'm glad to have been old enough to have taken some of it in. Most of you are probably too tinsy to recall this.  8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2017, 12:30:20 PM »
I went to film school.

Sounds like a Misty Mundae vehicle...but alas, I think you made that up  ;)  Now, if you'd said, for example (examples)

Lust for Dracula
Vampire Vixens
Night of the Groping Dead
Dr. Jekyll and Mistress Hyde
An Erotic Werewolf in London
or
Mummy Raider

I'd have more respect and empathy for you  :D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2017, 03:35:30 PM »
I saw it eight times in 1968 I was either 12 or 13 and was obsessed by the film. I took my older brother, dad, the au pair etc but none of them liked it as much as I did. Then I was recently reading a book about it which suggested that Kubrick deliberately aimed it at young people who would just get wrapped up in the wonder of the visuals rather than agonising over its 'meaning'. Certainly true in my case. I certainly didn't 'understand' it at the time and am not sure if I do now but I was totally swept up by it. 1968 was an extraordinary year in many respects. The thing I remember is not the tragic assassinations and Vietnam but the view of the earth from Apollo 8 (Borman, Lovell, Anders - I still remember). In some ways this was a greater moment I think than the moon landing the following year. I'm glad to have been old enough to have taken some of it in. Most of you are probably too tinsy to recall this.  8)

Cool.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2017, 11:35:53 PM »

It's good that the impact of the film extends to forming memories of a time and place for you. :)
I first went to see it at a very (too) young age when my street urchin friends and I snuck in without paying via the fire exit.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2017, 12:13:12 AM »
Thanks Karl and Nik.
Good to hear that Nik was part of an Oliver Twist-like street urchin gang in his youth.

My daughter, as a little girl, was very cross with me when it was 'Victorians Day' at her primary school. Her mother being away it was up to me to dress her up for the day. When she got home from school it all 'kicked-off' as she had arrived to find all the other young girls dressed in beautiful Victorian era type dresses. I, however, had dressed her up as a street urchin. When she reminds me of this today I tell her that she should be grateful to me as  I'm almost certainly responsible for her having a strong social conscience. Am not so sure that she sees it this way though.
 8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2017, 02:01:40 AM »

Good to hear that Nik was part of an Oliver Twist-like street urchin gang in his youth.

Yeah, that was us, guv'nor. ;D But in our early teens we were more kind of like something depicted in the film 'The Warriors' by Walter Hill http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080120/ (alternatively, I suppose most of you guys know it as 'Annabasis')  - only with no uniforms or bare chests or medallions.  :laugh: And this (courtesy of a ghetto blaster - although we never called it that) was part of our soundtrack 8) -

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/oQwNN-0AgWc" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/oQwNN-0AgWc</a>

Anyone who hasn't seen  'The Warriors' should check it out, because it's more than just some kind of period piece.

My daughter, as a little girl, was very cross with me when it was 'Victorians Day' at her primary school. Her mother being away it was up to me to dress her up for the day. When she got home from school it all 'kicked-off' as she had arrived to find all the other young girls dressed in beautiful Victorian era type dresses. I, however, had dressed her up as a street urchin. When she reminds me of this today I tell her that she should be grateful to me as  I'm almost certainly responsible for her having a strong social conscience. Am not so sure that she sees it this way though.
 8)

It might well be the case that from an early age your daughter even being aware that a 'street urchin' exists has gone on to influence her. I mean, think of all the silly little ideas and notions that most of us can remember from childhood. So why wouldn't a more serious concept linger and grow from early days too? :)

Offline Autumn Leaves

• Veteran member
  • D. R. & Quinch (From 2000AD)
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2017, 02:19:28 AM »
Yeah, that was us, guv'nor. ;D But in our early teens we were more kind of like something depicted in the film 'The Warriors' by Walter Hill http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080120/ (alternatively, I suppose most of you guys know it as 'Annabasis')  - only with no uniforms or bare chests or medallions.  :laugh:

Anyone who hasn't seen  'The Warriors' should check it out, because it's more than just some kind of period piece.

Love The Warriors and have seen it many times - a Classic of the era for sure! :).
I like old music :)

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK