Author Topic: Film/Movie Discussion  (Read 2558 times)

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • She usually comes in threes.
Re: Film/Movie Discussion
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2017, 02:59:35 AM »
Love The Warriors and have seen it many times - a Classic of the era for sure! :).

Yeah, its good stuff. :)

Also -

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/K9c4hCJZhx8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/K9c4hCJZhx8</a>

I think the last time I watched it I posted and mentioned in the movie thread; at  0:55 and then at 1:20 (but before he stops her) - I can see almost the whole movie distilled into those two moments.
What doesn't kill you always makes you stronger - unless you were too weak to begin with, of course. Fact.

Autumn Leaves

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2017, 03:31:10 AM »
I think the last time I watched it I posted and mentioned in the movie thread; at  0:55 and then at 1:20 (but before he stops her) - I can see almost the whole movie distilled into those two moments.

Hey Nik thanks for posting that clip - interesting thoughts about the timed segments you mentioned.
Recognize that sort of disgusted/superior look the rich kid inadvertently gives the warriors and then they're staring back like we are'nt ashamed of who we are and know we are more powerful than you sort of thing?. I guess he is stopping the girl from prettying herself up/pandering to the rich kids?.
A small political stand-off/power play like the sort that often take place when one is out and mingling with other people - thanks for highlighting it :).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 03:32:44 AM by Autumn Leaves »

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2017, 03:43:57 AM »
Hey Nik thanks for posting that clip - interesting thoughts about the timed segments you mentioned.
Recognize that sort of disgusted/superior look the rich kid inadvertently gives the warriors and then they're staring back like we are'nt ashamed of who we are and know we are more powerful than you sort of thing?. I guess he is stopping the girl from prettying herself up/pandering to the rich kids?.
A small political stand-off/power play like the sort that often take place when one is out and mingling with other people - thanks for highlighting it :).

You're welcome.
Yeah, you've got it. It's just showing a simple truth. After running an endless gauntlet of gangs, even at the end it still comes down to a type of conflict between two different tribes, albeit no longer in the form of physical violence. And the reaction is like real life; no matter if it's a drive by yelling something hurtful or a boxer landing a painful punch on you or some dick on a message board trying to put you down - never let the other guy know how he's made you feel.

I think I might watch it again soon. :)
What doesn't kill you always makes you stronger - unless you were too weak to begin with, of course. Fact.

Autumn Leaves

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2017, 03:56:45 AM »
You're welcome.
Yeah, you've got it. It's just showing a simple truth. After running an endless gauntlet of gangs, even at the end it still comes down to a type of conflict between two different tribes, albeit no longer in the form of physical violence. And the reaction is like real life; no matter if it's a drive by yelling something hurtful or a boxer landing a painful punch on you or some dick on a message board trying to put you down - never let the other guy know how he's made you feel.

I think I might watch it again soon. :)

Was just thinking the same thing as it's been quite a few years since I watched the movie - It's quite a memorable one and I loved the various fantastic costumes of all the different gang members.
When I remember this movie I also think about Escape from New York which has a similar dark vibe and possibly made around the same time - what do you think of this one Nik?.

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2017, 04:35:33 AM »
Was just thinking the same thing as it's been quite a few years since I watched the movie - It's quite a memorable one and I loved the various fantastic costumes of all the different gang members.
When I remember this movie I also think about Escape from New York which has a similar dark vibe and possibly made around the same time - what do you think of this one Nik?.

Escape from New York - a different kind of film when compared to The Warriors. But they're both dark, yes.

Not my favourite John Carpenter (that's either Dark Star, Halloween, or They Live) but the way I think of Escape from New York is that it's really well built from the ground up.
It's based on a story by Harry Harrison and so that's a good start! The cinematography was by Dean Cundy (one of the last old school craftsmen IMO) and so a lot of the special effects that look like early digital elements are in fact really great practical effects. Then there's the nods and name checks to guys like Romero and Cronenberg and even Don Taylor (dude who acted in 'The Naked City' but also directed 'Escape from the Planet of the Apes') and so you can see both where it has come from and also how it has come together.
When you add that to the cast - Pleasence, Ernest Borgnine, Lee van Cleef, Harry Dean Stanton, and then front it with Kurt Russell's Eastwood-like (hey, that brings to mind another 'ordinary flawed guy against the government' movie - 'The Gauntlet', have you seen that?) it's cool. I mean, I know some people have an aversion to action movies, but it's not aimed at them in the first place.

e: Escape from New York is another I should watch again soon. ;D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 05:56:58 AM by NikF »

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2017, 12:47:08 PM »
Yeah, that was us, guv'nor. ;D But in our early teens we were more kind of like something depicted in the film 'The Warriors' by Walter Hill http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080120/ (alternatively, I suppose most of you guys know it as 'Annabasis')  - only with no uniforms or bare chests or medallions.  :laugh: And this (courtesy of a ghetto blaster - although we never called it that) was part of our soundtrack 8) -

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/oQwNN-0AgWc" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/oQwNN-0AgWc</a>

Anyone who hasn't seen  'The Warriors' should check it out, because it's more than just some kind of period piece.

It might well be the case that from an early age your daughter even being aware that a 'street urchin' exists has gone on to influence her. I mean, think of all the silly little ideas and notions that most of us can remember from childhood. So why wouldn't a more serious concept linger and grow from early days too? :)
Great stuff Nik and you could be right re:my daughter who now works with disadvantaged people. On a different topic I used to work in a department store as a student and before finding my first teaching job. I was in the record department which was situated next to the clothes boutique. The manager came over to tell me off. The boutique wanted me to play 'Saturday Night Fever' (this must have been c.1977/78) - they complained to the management about the music I was playing - Durufle's 'Requiem' at top volume. The manager told me that I was driving people out of the shop. 8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Autumn Leaves

« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2017, 08:00:40 PM »
Escape from New York - a different kind of film when compared to The Warriors. But they're both dark, yes.

Not my favourite John Carpenter (that's either Dark Star, Halloween, or They Live) but the way I think of Escape from New York is that it's really well built from the ground up.
It's based on a story by Harry Harrison and so that's a good start! The cinematography was by Dean Cundy (one of the last old school craftsmen IMO) and so a lot of the special effects that look like early digital elements are in fact really great practical effects. Then there's the nods and name checks to guys like Romero and Cronenberg and even Don Taylor (dude who acted in 'The Naked City' but also directed 'Escape from the Planet of the Apes') and so you can see both where it has come from and also how it has come together.
When you add that to the cast - Pleasence, Ernest Borgnine, Lee van Cleef, Harry Dean Stanton, and then front it with Kurt Russell's Eastwood-like (hey, that brings to mind another 'ordinary flawed guy against the government' movie - 'The Gauntlet', have you seen that?) it's cool. I mean, I know some people have an aversion to action movies, but it's not aimed at them in the first place.

e: Escape from New York is another I should watch again soon. ;D

Thanks for your thoughts about Escape from New York (it's a bit of a favourite movie of mine) - I like a lot of sci-fi/fantasy/horror/action stuff from around that time; good to see you mention Romero and Cronenburg!.
The Gauntlet is a great movie for sure - it's another memorable one I think. Those sequences were the cops destroy the house and the big shootout with the armoured bus are imprinted in my mind :D.
Love a good action movie - not really highbrow/art kind of stuff I guess but frequently good fun :).

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2017, 08:13:26 PM »
Damn, I've really let myself go lately  :-[

Gotta keep up with my thread  :laugh:

Bear with  ;)

I'll be back in cinematorgorafer mode shortly.....

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2017, 10:53:42 AM »
2001 and Blade Runner really need to be experienced in a theater on a huge screen--at least once. 2001 obviously. But Blade Runner has incredibly rich sets and special effects. I was discussing this with a friend who is a set designer in Hellywood and he told me that there was some sort of an actors/writers strike during production and this stalled their work. However, the set designers were in a different union (or none at all?) and had a ton of time on their hands to go nuts with the detail.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Offline Mr. Minnow

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2017, 05:11:58 PM »
If you have a liking for the weird and wonderful, and are not easily offended, Bad Boy Bubby is definitely a film to try. It's hard to describe without giving away a fair bit of the plot. Other than my friend's description of it as "really strange, and bloody good" I knew nothing about it when I first saw it, and I'm glad I didn't know what was coming, as it made that first viewing an even more memorable experience (don't get me wrong though, it easily stands up to repeated viewings). I really can't think of any other film quite like it. It's certainly a cult film, and very much a "love it or hate it" one too.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 05:13:34 PM by Mr. Minnow »

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2017, 12:02:08 AM »
Any fans of John Waters here?

Desperate Living is my favorite movie at the moment, one of the rare cases where I can say that there isn't a single thing I dislike about that film  :-*

His two most famous films are the infamous Pink Flamingos (hilarious and strangely compelling) and Hairspray (which is the musical that was made into a stage show, that was adapted into a shitty movie, which wasn't directed or written by him)

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2017, 12:05:34 AM »
Pretty much everything Waters does is "weird", subversive, transgressive, 'no shits given', hilarious, conceptual.

His aesthetic is very hard to describe, some of his films have a 'b-movie' kind of style but it never adheres to it. The acting is purposefully over the top, the stories are always really bizzare (and still compelling).

I love his films anyhow.

A funny thing, that I can't help thinking (and loving) every time I see Desperate Living; is that it is practically "Shouting: The Movie"  :laugh:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 12:13:24 AM by α | »

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2017, 12:07:48 AM »
If you have a liking for the weird and wonderful, and are not easily offended, Bad Boy Bubby is definitely a film to try. It's hard to describe without giving away a fair bit of the plot. Other than my friend's description of it as "really strange, and bloody good" I knew nothing about it when I first saw it, and I'm glad I didn't know what was coming, as it made that first viewing an even more memorable experience (don't get me wrong though, it easily stands up to repeated viewings). I really can't think of any other film quite like it. It's certainly a cult film, and very much a "love it or hate it" one too.

I heard about it but haven't seen it. Well it's on my list for this week, I might see it tonight actually!  :)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod nigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2017, 03:02:32 AM »

I have only seen Hairspray.  Which is great fun.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. Franoise Gilot

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2017, 04:21:59 AM »

Just finished seeing it, loved it. (I didn't find it offensive at all  :-X )

Very well made film, well executed theme/message and an oddly heartwarming ending  8)

Offline bwv 1080

• Veteran member
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2017, 05:54:58 AM »

Desperate Living is my favorite movie at the moment, one of the rare cases where I can say that there isn't a single thing I dislike about that film  :-*

His two most famous films are the infamous Pink Flamingos (hilarious and strangely compelling) and Hairspray (which is the musical that was made into a stage show, that was adapted into a shitty movie, which wasn't directed or written by him)

I never wanted to use macram to kill!

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 07:48:50 AM by bwv 1080 »
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Offline Mr. Minnow

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2017, 04:53:33 PM »
Just finished seeing it, loved it. (I didn't find it offensive at all  :-X )

Very well made film, well executed theme/message and an oddly heartwarming ending  8)

Glad you liked it, it's certainly not a film you'll easily forget!

This DVD is well worth picking up:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Simon-Magus-Nine-Lives-Tomas/dp/B000FII1EE/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1502844340&sr=1-1&keywords=tomas+katz

Both films have a distinctly odd atmosphere, though The Nine Lives of Tomas Katz is certainly much more overtly surreal. Reviews of both films are linked to below if you're interested; though as with Bad Boy Bubby, you might want to watch them with no prior knowledge, especially Tomas Katz.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2001/07/17/the_nine_lives_of_tomas_katz_2001_review.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2001/03/13/simon_magus_2000_review.shtml
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 04:58:20 PM by Mr. Minnow »

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2017, 03:02:08 AM »
Any Sergei Parajanov fans here?  8)

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2017, 05:17:49 AM »
Any Sergei Parajanov fans here?  8)

8)

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2017, 12:46:20 AM »
8)

How does this keep happening, we are both monkey's at heart  ;D

I might write a small analysis of some of the things I love about Parajanov, cause I actually love his work even more than Jodorowsky and Kubrick!  ;)

He captures something as a director that I am drawn to as a composer and screenwriter, in a very intimate way. I'll have to post that mini analysis  ;)

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK