Author Topic: Computer Confessions  (Read 432 times)

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
  • Currently Listening to:
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
Computer Confessions
« on: July 17, 2017, 06:57:06 AM »
HELP!!

1) You all know I'm a computer ignoramus.

2) I've been using my IT friend's loaner the whole time I've been here (almost 10 years). This is the second one: it says "lenovo T60p", "IBM ThinkPad", and has an "Intel, Centrino Duo" sticker.

I'll wait whilst you all finish laughing...

So, it can take up to a minute every time I hit the Enter key. I can barely make any extra Tabs without seizing up the machine. I have Rebooted 1,000,000 times and it just does what it wants. Currently, today, it is acting "normal". During the big storm week last week it really didn't want to work.

Video sound continues as the video images goes slo-mo, or freezes,...

ANYHOW-

I NEED A COMPUTER. I NEED TO LEARN SOME STUFF. I HAVE NO FLIPPIN CLUE.

He has an HP "Envy" (lol), @$550 Used. Dell is the other name. Or Mac. I'd be wanting a laptop. Please, oh please GMG, I promise I will learn my computer crap; help me out here.

Or, send me one,... I don't care. :laugh:

I have just about enough dental+car money saved to buy a computer... HELP!!!

Will probably be running Linux (since he sets it up for me).

Maybe I'll finally figure out the difference between "network", "server", "router", "toolbar", "browser", "platform"....

But probably not :(

OY VEY PEOPLE!!!!! I'm guilty of being willingly ignorant, please don't let me wallow in a soupy mix of pre-1996 technology.

:'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 07:02:06 AM by snyprrr »
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Offline nodogen

Silence so loud
Re: As My Computer Not-So Gently Dies- HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 07:21:45 AM »
There is no hope for you. Take up embroidery.
Kill the ruminator!

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 07:38:51 AM »
You should stick to whatever operating system you are accustomed to (your posts here are living proof that you can at least turn on the computer, open an internet browser and find your way through it) and have it installed on a new computer. Forget about learning anything else as long as you don't have a pressing need, or inner urge, to do so.

Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools. - Romans 1:22, KJV

Offline Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 07:41:34 AM »
Is your Lenovo running Linux now, or some flavor of Windows?

If you just want to interact with the Web, you can consider a Chromebook. You will have the Chrome browser, Google's suite of services, not much else. Not an option if you use some anti-Google things like Skype or iTunes. But once you link it to your a google account the operating system is maintained by google and it is natural to store any data you generate in the Google cloud.

You should stick to whatever operating system you are accustomed to (your posts here are living proof that you can at least turn on the computer, open an internet browser and find your way through it) and have it installed on a new computer. Forget about learning anything else as long as you don't have a pressing need, or inner urge, to do so.

If he's using a 10 year old computer, Windows 10 will turn out to be just as much a "new" operating system as anything else.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 07:46:44 AM by Scarpia »

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 07:44:06 AM »
A Mendocino Centrino?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 09:48:13 AM »

What's the budget? These days you can get a good laptop for cheap.

Where would you buy it? It's OK to shop at Best Buy or Walmart, they have good choices. What I do is go where they have lots of models on display and not many places still do that. Find one, and shop there.

How big should it be? I'll be traditional and look for a full sized one.

Dell - Inspiron 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i3 - 6GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - Black  $349

This is just an example. It might be overkill or underkill for your uses. The thing is this will be very fast, the processor is the latest generation. My desktop PC is not that much faster than this laptop. It has an older Core i3 that edges this one out, but not by much.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Offline Spineur

• Veteran member
  • Magdalena Kozena, Felicity Lott with love
    Mozart & friends
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 09:55:21 AM »
The problem with laptops is reliability.  This is what you should pay special attention to.  Unfortunately many of the comparative in consumer magazine are sponsored and do not pay much attention to this key point.
A woman voice glides like the wind
Of black, of damp, of night
And all it touches in this flight
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 10:02:56 AM »
A Mendocino Centrino?

Mendocino Beano :laugh: Zappa strikes again! ;)

Is your Lenovo running Linux now, or some flavor of Windows?

If you just want to interact with the Web, you can consider a Chromebook. You will have the Chrome browser, Google's suite of services, not much else. Not an option if you use some anti-Google things like Skype or iTunes. But once you link it to your a google account the operating system is maintained by google and it is natural to store any data you generate in the Google cloud.

If he's using a 10 year old computer, Windows 10 will turn out to be just as much a "new" operating system as anything else.

Linux on Lenovo...

Yea, I guess I'm not up on the planned obsolescence thing, but I'm sure getting a taste of it now. :(

WHERE would I be purchasing?: Ebay, or Amazon, or ... I suppose I'll be going for Used...

There is no hope for you. Take up embroidery.

I've already knitted me a pair(?) of Texas Long Johns, so, that's no prob.

Quote from: Florestan link=topic=27189.msg1076146#msg1076146

(your posts here are living proof that you can at least turn on the computer, open an internet browsdate=1500305931
er and find your way through it)

"open an internet browser", yea, that's one of those "sayings"...lol, IS THERE ANYONE ON YOUTUBE WHO DESCRIBES TECH IN KIDDIE TERMS????? I'm soooooo old, I really have need of alternative words for "browser", "platform", and the like.

Or I just keep forgetting what I'm told...

Or just a good youtube teacher??........

ANYHOW- I haave to get MyFirstComputer... if you can believe it... I can't.... this shit should've come with social security number- what am I paying for anyways???? aarrgghhhhh >:D

The problem with laptops is reliability.  This is what you should pay special attention to.  Unfortunately many of the comparative in consumer magazine are sponsored and do not pay much attention to this key point.

"reliability"... I call it "trust". I am MIGHTY suspicious of computer reliability, but, roomie's 'Envy' seems to make him have multiple orgasm, so, he seems to trust...

What's the budget? These days you can get a good laptop for cheap.

Where would you buy it? It's OK to shop at Best Buy or Walmart, they have good choices. What I do is go where they have lots of models on display and not many places still do that. Find one, and shop there.

How big should it be? I'll be traditional and look for a full sized one.

Dell - Inspiron 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i3 - 6GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive - Black  $349

This is just an example. It might be overkill or underkill for your uses. The thing is this will be very fast, the processor is the latest generation. My desktop PC is not that much faster than this laptop. It has an older Core i3 that edges this one out, but not by much.

Roomie got his 'Envy' for $550 Used. He's IT... I don't know if it's "overkill" for me. I'd like to not have to pay $500.

I mean, sure, all I do mostly is "entertainment", BUT, if I had a computer I could trust, I might be willing/able to start learning some stuff...

That computer you show there looks as good to me as anything... I would probably be getting Used...

Yea, I'll have to check the SuperMall down the street...

THIS IS NOT SOMETHING I "WANT" TO DO- like eating oatmeal... but...

I can't believe how useless I feel without this f******* thing... is Elon Musk correct in his fear???

Haydn-Sikh

Offline Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 10:24:06 AM »
Linux on Lenovo...

Linux! That explains why you are incapable of performing mundane tasks on a computer.

A Chromebook can be cheaper. It is cloud based, very little stuff stored in the computer itself, but without an active internet connection it is basically a brick.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5P6TJW?aaxitk=pEaoTRnFXrLQhSwop99.Tg

A PC would be the default choice. The Dell Drogulus linked would be fine, there are many other options. It is a commodity market, there is almost nothing to distinguish the competing models and prices/features turn out to be near identical. Dell, HP, ASUS, little difference between them. A trip to best buy, staples, or Walmart would be a start.

Offline Spineur

• Veteran member
    Mozart & friends
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 10:34:54 AM »
Well guys, my current laptop with all its options cost my employer close to 2000€ last year.  I you want something that isnt going to fail on you, you got to pay up !
Think of all the bucks you spend on CDs you dont really need...
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 10:35:16 AM »

Roomie got his 'Envy' for $550 Used. He's IT... I don't know if it's "overkill" for me. I'd like to not have to pay $500.

I mean, sure, all I do mostly is "entertainment", BUT, if I had a computer I could trust, I might be willing/able to start learning some stuff...

That computer you show there looks as good to me as anything... I would probably be getting Used...

Yea, I'll have to check the SuperMall down the street...

You shouldn't get a used computer. If $349 is within your budget, pay it. The laptop I showed will be fast for years. I have experience with how obsolescence works. At some point your laptop can't take a new operating system. Also, it's only fast enough to handle programs that ran on single core processors. I have such a laptop sitting on the dining room table right now. I'm trying to see what updates it will take, so I can use it as a last ditch backup if I have to get online. I'm losing hope it can do that. That's why you buy as much speed as you can. Old equipment that was fast in its day survives longer than something adequate in its day.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Offline Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 11:06:49 AM »
Well guys, my current laptop with all its options cost my employer close to 2000€ last year.  I you want something that isnt going to fail on you, you got to pay up !
Think of all the bucks you spend on CDs you dont really need...

You shouldn't get a used computer. If $349 is within your budget, pay it. The laptop I showed will be fast for years.

A tale of two computers I owned.

1) A Toshiba, in the price range drogulus mentioned. 2) A top-of-the-line Thinkpad T400 that cost $1700.

The Toshiba, after 3 years, developed the habit of turning itself off if I jostled it. I had to type on it gently otherwise, 'click,' blank screen. The Thinkpad, after 9 years of bruising use, became the computer for my toddler to watch videos. At least 3 times it has fallen off the table on to a hardwood floor. The last time the door holding the hard drive cracked and the hard drive itself came out and slid across the floor. Put the hard drive back in and taped the broken door shut. Works like new. That's what you get for your extra $1000. The most likely part to fail in any piece of electronic equipment is the connectors, and that's what they skimp on.

(The rumor is that the "shoe bomber" was neutralized by the passenger sitting next to him, who cracked him over the head with a Thinkpad. The Thinkpad still worked afterwards. IBM supposedly wasn't allowed to use this in their ad campaign for national security reasons.)

If your old Thinkpad has a blue button, press it when the computer is booting. If they haven't blown away the original disc structure, it will reinstall windows from an internal partition. Then, after installing updates for about a month, it might work just fine.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:12:27 AM by Scarpia »

Offline Spineur

• Veteran member
    Mozart & friends
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 11:34:02 AM »

.....That's what you get for your extra $1000.....
Plus today a lot of the extra cost comes from the solid state disk:  Fast booting+"reliability".
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Offline Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 12:09:52 PM »
In any case, I'm sure snyprrr would love to spend 2k on a computer, but if the money is not in the budget, a $500 Dell or similar seems like the best option.

Offline Holden

• Veteran member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 02:21:50 PM »
Your old Thinkpad may still be serviceable. Over the 10 years you've had it, the HD will have become scrambled and a defrag might initially add some extra speed. You've probably also got outdated drivers which further slow things up. Added to that, quite a number of the programs you've installed over the 10 years will be sitting in your start up folder which can slow boot up speed quite considerably. Finally, is it free of malware and viruses?

If you're not happy about checking this out yourself then maybe the friend who gave you the laptop can do it for you.
Cheers

Holden

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 03:35:06 PM »
     You shouldn't get a used computer. If $349 is within your budget, pay it. The laptop I showed will be fast for years. I have experience with how obsolescence works. At some point your laptop can't take a new operating system. Also, it's only fast enough to handle programs that ran on single core processors. I have such a laptop sitting on the dining room table right now. I'm trying to see what updates it will take, so I can use it as a last ditch backup if I have to get online. I'm losing hope it can do that. That's why you buy as much speed as you can. Old equipment that was fast in its day survives longer than something adequate in its day.

...I can understand that...

A tale of two computers I owned.

1) A Toshiba, in the price range drogulus mentioned. 2) A top-of-the-line Thinkpad T400 that cost $1700.

The Toshiba, after 3 years, developed the habit of turning itself off if I jostled it. I had to type on it gently otherwise, 'click,' blank screen. The Thinkpad, after 9 years of bruising use, became the computer for my toddler to watch videos. At least 3 times it has fallen off the table on to a hardwood floor. The last time the door holding the hard drive cracked and the hard drive itself came out and slid across the floor. Put the hard drive back in and taped the broken door shut. Works like new. That's what you get for your extra $1000. The most likely part to fail in any piece of electronic equipment is the connectors, and that's what they skimp on.

(The rumor is that the "shoe bomber" was neutralized by the passenger sitting next to him, who cracked him over the head with a Thinkpad. The Thinkpad still worked afterwards. IBM supposedly wasn't allowed to use this in their ad campaign for national security reasons.)

If your old Thinkpad has a blue button, press it when the computer is booting. If they haven't blown away the original disc structure, it will reinstall windows from an internal partition. Then, after installing updates for about a month, it might work just fine.

so, I have a T60, and you got a T400?

This one has a ThinkVantage blue bar/button...

I WILL CHECK DROGGY'S LINK, AND HEAD TO WALLYWORLD.........

Wow, you guys are all so smart......I remember making fun of "nerds"... ugh........ I coulda been somebody... a contenda...

Haydn-Sikh

Offline Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 03:43:45 PM »

so, I have a T60, and you got a T400?

This one has a ThinkVantage blue bar/button...

Think hard before you press that button. If it works, it will completely reformat your hard drive and re-install the operating system (after warning you about a half dozen times). I don't know if the Linux install would preserve that functionality.

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 03:54:56 PM »

Think hard before you press that button. If it works, it will completely reformat your hard drive and re-install the operating system (after warning you about a half dozen times). I don't know if the Linux install would preserve that functionality.

I'm on EBAY now, Searching for "dell laptop 1tb"... there are some things that seem even better than droggy's $347 (I see that one too), or, it seems the same one for lots less? Is it a statement or question, lol, I don't know!

LET'S TAKE THE $347 AS A STARTING POINT.

If I can get much more for a little less, or whatever,... this is a good starting point. But I also seem to see things that are either the same or "better" for a wee bit less... or am I seeing things?

i'll continue looking at EBAy- going to WallyW shortly........

Haydn-Sikh

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
LOL, It Was the Router,.....wi-fi...
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 07:01:32 AM »
So, finally, the computy is just not able to connect, and roomie finally says, Here, I'll set up this here tablet for you to browse EBAY for a new one.  So, it turns out that I'm on wi-fi upstairs, and he's physically connected in his room. So, he has to use wi-fi for the tablet and finds the same issue. Then he unplugs his badass computy and goes wi-fi and same thing.

So, it was a Verizon issue. This morning this ole Lenovo is back up and running at semi-clunker like it was before all this brujahaha.

Oy- I'm embarrassed :-[. Not that I didn't get good info from you guys, but, I almost SPENT MONIES lol, and that's money that could have gone to coke n hookers, which is how we're going to have to celebrate!! :laugh:

I'm sure there's a computy in my future, but, just like a rusty muffler, we have avoided the pain for another day.

Boy do I feel like the boy who cried woof, sorry gentle souls

But that's what you get with an IT roomie... it's all his fault for being too tired from dealing with idiot state workers all day....

THAAAANKS, TODD!!!!!!!!! (snl)

Haydn-Sikh

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Re: Computer Confessions
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 07:34:58 AM »
Well, that’s a happy ending.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK