Author Topic: My Year of Eating Badly  (Read 555 times)

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
  • Currently Listening to:
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
My Year of Eating Badly
« on: July 17, 2017, 10:22:05 AM »
I think all my essential enzymes 'n' stuff have all leached out of me. I need vitamins and minerals and enzymes and amino acids 'n' stuff.

Again, if there a website or something EZ I can watch, or,...

Is it just a matter of buying expensive vitamins?
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
Re: My Year of Eating Badly
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 10:23:02 AM »
no soylent comments from the peanut gallery....

Karl ::)

Haydn-Sikh

Online Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 10:28:55 AM »
There is no evidence that taking vitamins is of any value, unless you have a specific vitamin deficiency.

The only advice that can be trusted, avoid processed food. Eat food based on ingredients as close to raw as practical, especially leafy vegetables, beans, legumes. Some dairy and meat. Not too much. Nothing else is needed.

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 10:36:02 AM »
There is no evidence that taking vitamins is of any value, unless you have a specific vitamin deficiency.

The only advice that can be trusted, avoid processed food. Eat food based on ingredients as close to raw as practical, especially leafy vegetables, beans, legumes. Some dairy and meat. Not too much. Nothing else is needed.

+1

Indeed. A multivitamin daily (no iron if you're a man!) is likely a good idea. But there is very little if any science behind many/most supplements, and aggressive supplementation can actually be quite toxic and harmful to the kidneys and liver. Understanding the causes and effects of various foods is actually quite a difficult thing to accomplish. Pretty much the only things everyone agrees upon is: increase your intake of fresh fruits and vegetables; cut down on sugar (if you're like most Americans, cut WAAAAY DOWN); cut down on red meats. The effects of moderate alcohol consumption seem to be largely beneficial, especially to men (some complications for women). But I am still very skeptical of the idea that drinking every day is necessarily healthy. Not all studies are in agreement.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Offline bwv 1080

• Veteran member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 10:39:03 AM »
I think all my essential enzymes 'n' stuff have all leached out of me. I need vitamins and minerals and enzymes and amino acids 'n' stuff.

For essential vitamins and minerals and enzymes and amino acids 'n' stuff the universe has provided this wonderful substance called food
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Offline nodogen

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 01:17:13 PM »
Yep, it's a crazy notion, but a varied and balanced diet provides all your nutritional needs. Supplements just provide expensive pee (money you could spend on computer-based items).
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 01:38:09 PM by nodogen »

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 04:00:17 PM »
Yep, it's a crazy notion, but a varied and balanced diet provides all your nutritional needs. Supplements just provide expensive pee (money you could spend on computer-based items).

Yes, I'm pissing champagne with these things, lol!

leafy vegetables, beans, legumes. Some dairy and meat. Not too much. Nothing else is needed.

so, spinach and sweet potatoes? and eggs?

and fruits n nuts

OK THEN... so, I don't need himalayan seaweed with the undigested saliva of the rare Chinese swallow? got it ;)

Haydn-Sikh

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
WHAT I ATE LAST WEEK
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 04:14:14 PM »
1) At least one pot of coffee a day, with half/half

2) either bowl of long oatmeal, a slice of bagel/toast, or veggie fried rice carryout for BREAKFAST

3) some raspbrry, bluebrry, strwbrry, or apple banana for lLUNCH... or a LARGE NakedJuice ProteinZone (I know, I know)

4) one chick-fil-a sandwich (3X a week), sometimes with strawbbry shake (no more establishment shakes, there's something in them my body don't like), or veggie fried rice, once/twice Arby's, or some chicken wings at the bar (w/celery)...

5) soooome water

6) coffee

7) very little milk- I cut this out last year after a life of milk addiction

8) some OJ

9) as many choco chip cookies as i can stuff into my face before getting sick... mmm... followed by coffee...

Maybe once a week I get a real meal... every two weeks let's say

9) oh, my staple is 2 fried chix breasts with blue cheese drssing and celery

I'm starving most of the time, and go to bed somewhat hungered 1/2 of the time...

THE BEST CHEESESTEAK = $8.50

AFGHAN-THAI = @$14

ARBYS = $4.99

I'M SORRY- I'M ANNOYING MYSELF NOW, LOL- I wanna slap me right now ::) :P @JustShutUpsnyprrr

Haydn-Sikh

Offline Webernian

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 05:01:47 PM »
Sounds like a flattering diet  ;D

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 05:47:36 PM »
Sounds like a flattering diet  ;D

I look great! :laugh:

Haydn-Sikh

Offline zamyrabyrd

• Veteran member
  • selig sind
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 09:55:38 PM »
Indeed. A multivitamin daily (no iron if you're a man!) is likely a good idea. But there is very little if any science behind many/most supplements, and aggressive supplementation can actually be quite toxic and harmful to the kidneys and liver. Understanding the causes and effects of various foods is actually quite a difficult thing to accomplish. Pretty much the only things everyone agrees upon is: increase your intake of fresh fruits and vegetables; cut down on sugar (if you're like most Americans, cut WAAAAY DOWN); cut down on red meats. The effects of moderate alcohol consumption seem to be largely beneficial, especially to men (some complications for women). But I am still very skeptical of the idea that drinking every day is necessarily healthy. Not all studies are in agreement.

Whassa matter with RED meat? Would you rather grey? RED if not artificial dye is evidence of iron content.
Igitur primo pecuniae, deinde imperi cupido crevit.

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 10:55:52 PM »
Whassa matter with RED meat? Would you rather grey? RED if not artificial dye is evidence of iron content.
It's not so much that red meat itself is a problem, just that Americans eat too much of it (and generally not enough fruits and vegetables), which then causes a problem.  What is universally agreed is that processed meats (of any kind) are terrible for one's health.
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Offline zamyrabyrd

• Veteran member
  • selig sind
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 01:21:07 AM »
It's not so much that red meat itself is a problem, just that Americans eat too much of it (and generally not enough fruits and vegetables), which then causes a problem.  What is universally agreed is that processed meats (of any kind) are terrible for one's health.

I beg to disagree. Over-consumption carbohydrates is the problem not only in the US but the rest of the world that has monstrously high incidences of diabetes. In general people do not get enough protein.  In many cases they cannot afford it.

There is no comparison between the need for protein and an imagined need for fruit and vegetables. My ancestors in mountain country survived on meat and whole grains during the long winters. When they immigrated to America, they were exultant they could eat pasta every day instead of polenta. Almost all of them succumbed to adult-onset diabetes and/or heart disease.

Offline zamyrabyrd

• Veteran member
  • selig sind
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 01:32:00 AM »
I think all my essential enzymes 'n' stuff have all leached out of me. I need vitamins and minerals and enzymes and amino acids 'n' stuff. Again, if there a website or something EZ I can watch, or...
Is it just a matter of buying expensive vitamins?

Takng vitamins can be a waste and even irritating to the digestive tract. However, there were at least two instances thanks to my nutcase interest in them that literally saved my life. One was a megadose of Vitamin C (that I cannot tolerate now) the only thing that stopped a really bad intestinal condition. The other was even more significant, the amino acid GABA, that had an instant effect on a depression more than 10 years ago when the world was closing in.

The upshot of the immense time and energy spent on researching supplements, etc. for a nagging condition is borne out by the saying of Edison or whoever it was: 99 misses (or 999) are not failures but evidence of what not to do.

As for eating a "balanced diet", it really depends on who you are, your genes and your particular metabolism. Some people cannot tolerate gluten, milk or whatever. This is already known.

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 03:27:59 AM »
I beg to disagree. Over-consumption carbohydrates is the problem not only in the US but the rest of the world that has monstrously high incidences of diabetes. In general people do not get enough protein.  In many cases they cannot afford it.

There is no comparison between the need for protein and an imagined need for fruit and vegetables. My ancestors in mountain country survived on meat and whole grains during the long winters. When they immigrated to America, they were exultant they could eat pasta every day instead of polenta. Almost all of them succumbed to adult-onset diabetes and/or heart disease.
it doesn't have to be either-or. Both are significant problems in the US (and together even worse). Outside the US, and particularly in some parts of the world, it is true that they do not get enough protein.
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Offline nodogen

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 11:54:57 AM »
...an imagined need for fruit and vegetables.

I'm not sure the need for fruits and vegetables is imaginary. Man is an omnivore, not a carnivore. I personally don't think meat of itself is necessary. For myself, I am 57, have very low cholesterol, my weight is within the recommended BMI, a recent ECG showed I have a "strong" heart (the clinician's word) and I enjoy regular long distance running. I've followed a vegetarian diet all my adult life.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 01:21:05 AM by nodogen »

Offline zamyrabyrd

• Veteran member
  • selig sind
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 09:17:45 PM »
I'm not sure the need for fruits and vegetables is imaginary. Man is an omnivore. I personally don't think meat of itself is necessary. For myself, I am 57, have very low cholesterol, my weight is within the recommended BMI, a recent ECG showed I have a "strong" heart (the clinician's word) and I enjoy regular long distance running. I've followed a vegetarian diet all my adult life.

What one gets in vegetables, but in greater concentration from pulses is fiber. This keeps cholesterol down by binding with fatty acids. Meat doesn't have much fiber but connecting tissue has collagen. 

Offline nodogen

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 01:17:26 AM »
What one gets in vegetables, but in greater concentration from pulses is fiber. This keeps cholesterol down by binding with fatty acids. Meat doesn't have much fiber but connecting tissue has collagen.

True, and vegetables and fruits have other nutritional benefits as well.

Offline zamyrabyrd

• Veteran member
  • selig sind
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 06:07:33 AM »
True, and vegetables and fruits have other nutritional benefits as well.

Also you get vitamin C from fruit and some vegetables.

Offline nodogen

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 06:24:24 AM »
Also you get vitamin C from fruit and some vegetables.

Yep and more. 😉

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK