Author Topic: Five exceptionally fine first symphonies  (Read 2998 times)

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
Re: Five exceptionally fine first symphonies
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2018, 05:25:49 PM »
List No.3

Walton
Sauguet
Popov
Raid
Arnold

I had forgotten the Raid. A true accomplishment from a young composer. That is one of my favorite Baltic symphonies.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2018, 10:33:37 PM »
I had forgotten the Raid. A true accomplishment from a young composer. That is one of my favorite Baltic symphonies.

Yes, a fine work Cesar, showing the influence of his teacher Tubin, whose First Symphony I also greTly admire and could have included on my list.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2018, 04:45:10 AM »
Also the very impressive (only) one by F. Lopes-Graca which I have been listening to, with much pleasure, today.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline relm1

« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2018, 02:50:58 PM »
I think most of us can agree that the first symphonies of Brahms, Beethoven, Mahler, Elgar, Sibelius, Walton, Barber, and Nielsen are highly accomplished. I'll add five lesser-known examples:

Martinu
Atterberg
Berwald
Bernstein (well-represented on record but hardly ever played in the concert hall)
Casella

Honorable mentions: Roussel, Tippett, Scriabin, Kalinnikov, Rorem, Gordon Jacob

This.  I pretty much agree entirely with kyjo except I haven't heard Berwald or Roussel No. 1 so will have to check it out.  I have performed the Kalinnikov.  Interesting choice,  Very fine and ambitious work of the Tchaikovsky mold.  Audience and orchestra loved it.  It's a bit tough endurance wise but no worse than any of the brassy Tchaikovsky works are. 

I would switch Halvor Haug's No. 1 for Berwald with the caveat that I haven't heard Berwald.   :)

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2018, 03:33:15 PM »
This.  I pretty much agree entirely with kyjo except I haven't heard Berwald or Roussel No. 1 so will have to check it out.  I have performed the Kalinnikov.  Interesting choice,  Very fine and ambitious work of the Tchaikovsky mold.  Audience and orchestra loved it.  It's a bit tough endurance wise but no worse than any of the brassy Tchaikovsky works are. 

I would switch Halvor Haug's No. 1 for Berwald with the caveat that I haven't heard Berwald.   :)

I’m sure you’d enjoy the Berwald and Roussel 1sts. I’ll have to check out the Halvor Haug; I have a friend who thinks highly of his music. Regarding Kalinnikov, I’ve come to prefer his 2nd Symphony over his 1st, though I still love the 1st. The 2nd is a work of extraordinary melodic invention worthy of Tchaikovsky but without the more famous composer’s occasional repetitiousness and bombast.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Bohuslav Martinů (1890 - 1959)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The Opening of the Wells on Magic Nights
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2018, 04:16:24 PM »
Let’s see...(in no particular order):

Nielsen
Brahms
Martinů
Tubin
Dvořák (I’ve always loved this symphony and never understood/agreed with the criticism of it)
“It must be beautiful, or it wouldn't be worth the effort.” - Bohuslav Martinů

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2018, 04:55:32 PM »
Let’s see...(in no particular order):

Nielsen
Brahms
Martinů
Tubin
Dvořák (I’ve always loved this symphony and never understood/agreed with the criticism of it)

Interesting choices, John! I'll have to give the Dvořák another listen - I remember liking the third movement but finding the work as a whole rather overlong for its material. Then again, my admiration for Dvořák is constantly growing, so I'll probably like it better the second time around.  :)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2018, 03:11:42 AM »
Vaughan Williams A Sea Symphony - perhaps not a consensus favorite of RVW, but I find it extremely bold for a 1st symphony.
Berlioz fantastique.
Schnittke

These are the three that popped into my head right away.