Author Topic: Harpsichord causing me problems  (Read 764 times)

Offline george401

Re: Harpsichord causing me problems
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 12:05:02 PM »
I will have the glass of wine instead.
I think that has explained it pretty well to me. So thanks for the help by everyone.
All the best.
George401

Offline Larkenfield ♬

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2017, 11:07:22 PM »
I've heard this recording and IMO it has an excessive amount of ambient reverb added to the fundamental sound of the harpsichord, which blurs and veils its sound, turns it into a mush. I would much rather hear more natural accoustics and ambience in the recording process.

Also, I greatly dislike the harpsichord being too closely miked. It's a shame in this recording because the quality of sound of this particular harpsichord is actually quite good. But the surfeit of artificial ambience interferes with the overall enjoyment, almost like hearing it in a gymnasium.

Always trust your ears if something seems off in a recording. Pin it down if possible. It's a good exercise in hearing to be able to assess the quality of the performance versus the quality of the engineering of the recording - not necessarily the same.

Offline RebLem

• New Mexico flag
    • Facebook
  • Currently Listening to:
    7 piles of CDs--1) operas & choral works, 2) solo piano works, 3) orchestral works, 4) chamber music, 5) Beethoven symphonies, 6) Horowitz @ Carnegie hall box, 7) the BIG Toscanini RCA box. Cycling from one to another.
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 11:28:15 PM »
anyone with a computer can hear the whole CD on youtube @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRhilRnQOIo

That's where I listened to it.  I heard it on my computer speakers, which are an old Altec Lansing 3 piece system--two midrange and treble speakers with a single woofer unit.  It is the only remnant of my first computer system I bought at Office Depot in Spring  2002. 

I must say it took some getting used to.  It seems to me the instrumental balances are off, and it sounds like it might be a modern violin, which seems to dominate the harpsichord.  Contrary to a previous comment, it sounds to me as if it is rather closely recorded, and the instruments are not given enough space and do not seem to blend well together because of the way they were recorded.  I own a few harpsichord recordings of the Bach Goldberg Variations which I can recommend:  1) one of my favorites is probably the least well known, by an Australian harpsichordist and conductor named Jacqueline Ogeil on ABC Classics (ABC here stands for Australian Broadcasting Company.  I got it from an Aussie vendor called Buywell.  She also appears as a conductor on a superb album of Buxtehude cantatas.  One of the most closely recorded versions is the Glossa recording by Fabio Bonizzoni.  Then I also have recordings by Anthony Newman, Gustav Leonhardt, and Barbara Harbach, this last on a label called Gasparo Gallante.

"Don't drink and drive; you might spill it."--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father.

Online Biffo

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 01:41:25 AM »

I must say it took some getting used to.  It seems to me the instrumental balances are off, and it sounds like it might be a modern violin, which seems to dominate the harpsichord.  Contrary to a previous comment, it sounds to me as if it is rather closely recorded, and the instruments are not given enough space and do not seem to blend well together because of the way they were recorded. 

I agree, except I think it is a period violin - it is just absurdly close to the microphone, meanwhile the muffled harpsichord is far away in the background.

In his notes to the Bach Harpsichord Concertos (also HM) Richard Eggar discusses using ' a good historically based instrument and methods, which allow the harpsichord to emerge from the musical texture...'. Despite only using single strings, to me at least, the harpsichord is almost inaudible.

Offline zamyrabyrd

• Veteran member
  • selig sind
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2017, 08:07:33 PM »
What do you think of an ornate piano that sounds like a harp, made the rounds of Italian royalty from 1800 and ended up buried in Egyptian sands during WWII?

http://www.musicbanter.com/classical/77313-amazing-siena-pianoforte.html

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Qa-ySUplfNU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Qa-ySUplfNU</a>
"I write to discover what I know."
 ― Flannery O'Connor

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK