Author Topic: Newbies' Blush List Dozen  (Read 2291 times)

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
Re: Newbies' Blush List Dozen
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2017, 08:49:50 AM »
I didn't bother listening to Bolero as I know it well already - used to love it but have gone off it somewhat. Of the rest, there are quite a few I already knew, but who could object to listening to Messiah again? It remains wonderful no matter how many times. Ditto Swan Lake & 'Moonlight'.

Some things which I hadn't heard before - yes, blushing now - surprised me. I really loved the Schumann, and enjoyed the Debussy.

I had never before heard The Rite of Spring. I am not sure (totally) whether I like it, but it is arresting - impressive - stunningly original - though why they rioted, I still can't imagine. Maybe the suggestiveness of the dancing, maybe something febrile in the atmosphere, maybe just a good excuse for a rammy.

Thank you very much, Mahlerian, for taking this trouble on my behalf.

I have already listened to Karl's post, #2, and very enjoyable it was. Now for North Star and Spineur (rubs hands with glee...) :)

You're welcome.

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2017, 08:54:34 AM »
Have just finished listening to the Pletnev.
Wow - WOW!
It's 'dazzling' indeed - so clever, and such depth.

Thanks, North Star.
I enjoyed all these - thank you, North Star.
You're welcome, good to see you're enjoying the ride.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Bohuslav Martinů (1890 - 1959)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The Opening of the Wells during Magic Nights
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2017, 05:47:39 PM »
As someone fairly new to classical music who can be easily embarrassed by my ignorance, I'm wondering whether any of you seasoned listeners could provide a list of a dozen classical pieces that everyone is 'expected' to know?

All help is gratefully received. Thank you.

I’ll try and give a list, but please be aware that I only pursue music I’m interested in, so my list will pertain to works that I believe most listeners, myself excluded ( ;) ), should know and I’ll limit my list to 15 works (in no particular order):

Bach: Partitas for Solo Violin (all of them --- I believe there’s three of them)
Mozart: Requiem
Haydn: Die Schöpfung (The Creation)
Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 (Choral)
Schubert: Winterreise
Mendelssohn: The Hebrides - Overture
Schumann: Piano Concerto
Brahms: Ein Deutsches Requiem
Mahler: Rückert-Lieder
Debussy: Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune (Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun)
Ravel: Bolero
Stravinsky: The Firebird
Janáček: In the Mists
Prokofiev: Romeo & Juliet Suite (you’ll know when you’re ready to hear the complete ballet)
Copland: Appalachian Spring
"Music must be beautiful, or it wouldn’t be worth the effort” - Bohuslav Martinů

Offline Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2017, 09:51:23 PM »
I had never before heard The Rite of Spring. I am not sure (totally) whether I like it, but it is arresting - impressive - stunningly original - though why they rioted, I still can't imagine. Maybe the suggestiveness of the dancing, maybe something febrile in the atmosphere, maybe just a good excuse for a rammy.

Supposedly it was the unconventional choreography more than the music.

To me, the music initially seemed sort of cacophonous. You may have liked it more than I did at first. But it grew on me in a big way, so you may want to give it a few more spins, as the mood strikes.

Glad to see your continuing reports!

Offline Rosalba

eclectic tastes from early music onwards
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2017, 12:32:44 AM »
Thank you, Mirror Image & Pat B. :)
'...Crying Whát I dó is me: for that I came.'

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Bohuslav Martinů (1890 - 1959)
    The Opening of the Wells during Magic Nights
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2017, 06:31:04 AM »
Thank you, Mirror Image & Pat B. :)

You’re quite welcome!
"Music must be beautiful, or it wouldn’t be worth the effort” - Bohuslav Martinů

Offline Rosalba

« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2017, 12:38:51 AM »
Off the top of my head, these are essential works that haven't been mentioned yet:

Webern - Symphony op 21
Bartok - Music for Strings, Percussion & Celesta
Stravinsky - Agon
Varese - Ameriques
Stockhausen - Gruppen
Xenakis - Jonchaies
Ligeti - Atmospheres
Penderecki - Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima

Hope you enjoy them, it provides a great contrast to many of the examples cited thus far too  8)

'Great contrast' - absolutely right!
Thanks for suggesting this list, α | ì Æ ñ.
It was very interesting to listen, and I'm glad to have done so, but to be honest, this sort of music turns out not to be my cup of tea.

I enjoyed and quite liked the Webern - was bored by the Bartok - could hardly stand listening to the Stockhausen :) - and admired the clever artistry of the Xenakis, Ligeti and Penderecki, but didn't enjoy the uneasiness they induced in me.

It all helps to give me a 'mind-map' of classical music - where it's been, and where it's going. Thanks again!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 12:43:44 AM by Rosalba »

Offline nodogen

« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2017, 01:00:08 AM »
One of the great things about "classical" is that often composers write very different kinds of works (often over a life's changes in outlook). For example the unease of that Ligeti piece....listen to this short piece by Ligeti, it's a hoot!

<a href="https://youtu.be/txMWXvD8kL4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtu.be/txMWXvD8kL4</a>

Of course, this means one might need to check out several pieces by a composer!!

Offline Rosalba

« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2017, 01:37:55 AM »
One of the great things about "classical" is that often composers write very different kinds of works (often over a life's changes in outlook). For example the unease of that Ligeti piece....listen to this short piece by Ligeti, it's a hoot!

Of course, this means one might need to check out several pieces by a composer!!

You are right, of course. :)
I have just listened to Ligeti's Six Bagatelles (once I'd found it!!!) and this piece was playful and exuberant in a way that I found much more 'up my street'.
Thank you, nodogen.

Offline nodogen

« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2017, 01:43:07 AM »
You are right, of course. :)
I have just listened to Ligeti's Six Bagatelles, and they were playful and exuberant in a way that I found much more 'up my street'.
Thank you, nodogen.

You're welcome 😊

Nobody is going to be humming Threnody in the shower are they? (Well, alien might) 🙃

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2017, 03:23:09 AM »
- was bored by the Bartok -

Aiyee!  It grieves my soul when someone finds Bartók boring!  (I am not angry, Rosalba, only hurt  8) )

I wanted to find a video of someone playing, but I found either the performance boring, or the performer too . . . showy.  So, this is just a performance which I like very well (and the score passing by . . . .)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/lpIlo8tGbSo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/lpIlo8tGbSo</a>
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2017, 04:20:18 AM »
Another Bartók 101 suggestion: the Rhapsodies.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/KuGjucuowho" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/KuGjucuowho</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0rn0iC60j-0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0rn0iC60j-0</a>

And, dammit, I can't imagine anyone not enjoying the Romanian Folk Dances.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Wk7QAQEw4ZI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Wk7QAQEw4ZI</a>
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Rosalba

« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2017, 04:26:00 AM »
Aiyee!  It grieves my soul when someone finds Bartók boring!  (I am not angry, Rosalba, only hurt  8) )

I wanted to find a video of someone playing, but I found either the performance boring, or the performer too . . . showy.  So, this is just a performance which I like very well (and the score passing by . . . .)

Oh sorry!
Of course, I didn't mean that I found the whole of Bartok boring, just that particular one ('Music for Strings, Percussion & Celesta').

I thought that it would be better & more interesting for you knowledgeable lot if a Newby gave their honest opinion, that's all. :)

I am listening to the one you posted, Piano Sonata, Sz. 80, at the moment, and I like it - certainly not boring.

Aha - I see some fresh Bartok has arrived while I've been posting - thanks, North Star!
Will a subscription to the Bartok Fan Club Annual Ball repair the damage? 8)

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2017, 04:44:42 AM »
Oh sorry!
Of course, I didn't mean that I found the whole of Bartok boring, just that particular one ('Music for Strings, Percussion & Celesta').

I thought that it would be better & more interesting for you knowledgeable lot if a Newby gave their honest opinion, that's all. :)

Of course!  and I was not really sore.  I know that a piece which you find boring today, you may listen to it again 10 years later, and you may find you love it.  Doth not the appetite alter?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline nodogen

« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2017, 05:41:00 AM »

Of course! Your opinion is as "valid" as anyone else's IMO, whatever one's knowledge level. My level is still on the ground floor of the knowledge building, and once I reach the revolving restaurant at the top I will still hate opera. 😈

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2017, 05:47:39 AM »
Of course! Your opinion is as "valid" as anyone else's IMO

+ 1
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK