Author Topic: Bruce Hungerford Beethoven PS Discography  (Read 312 times)

Offline Holden

• Veteran member
Bruce Hungerford Beethoven PS Discography
« on: August 26, 2017, 02:41:08 AM »
I am a great fan of Hungerford's LvB sonatas and have just gone back to listening to him in the last few days. I have all the sonatas he recorded for Vanguard and the two recordings produced by Donald Isler on KASP. The fact that Hungerford never got the chance to finish the 32 is a great tragedy in my opinion and I have tried to track down down all the sonatas that he did record. Up until earlier this year all I could find were 18 of them. The Kasp CD gave me a 19th. Surely, Hungerford also had some of the other big name sonatas in his repertoire such as the Appassionata and Les Adieux. I also have a recollection (though I could be wrong, maybe confusing this with the number that Richter recorded) that he recorded 22 of them. These are what I have

1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 19, 20, 21, 24, 25, 30, 31 and 32.

Anyone aware of any others? I just have a feeling that there are others out there. I also noted that Donald credited International Piano Archives at the University of Maryland's Donald Manildi. I wonder what else that IPAM have of Hungerford's hiding in their archives.
Cheers

Holden

Offline Walt Whitman

• Currently Listening to:
    L'Oiseau Lyre: Medieval & Renaissance CD 25 - Susato: Dansereye 1551
Re: Bruce Hungerford Beethoven PS Discography
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 11:37:13 AM »
Check out Vanguard/Bach Guild "Big Beethoven Box" and "Bigger Beethoven Box" on Amazon. There are a few in there you do not have per your listing (I would have carefully listed each but I am at work. SHHHHHH) Anyway, they are large MP3 compilations from the Vanguard vaults of 15 hours each for .99 each. So, you get 30 hours of Beethoven from Vanguard for $1.98 and every Beethoven Piano Sonata that Hungerford did for them. These are well done, high variable bit rate MP3s and are worth every penny (all 198 of them). Good Luck and Good Listening.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 11:42:15 AM by Walt Whitman »

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK