Author Topic: Pray for Florida - Irma barrels down  (Read 2375 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Bohuslav Martinů (1890 - 1959)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The Opening of the Wells during the Magic Nights
Re: Pray for Florida - Irma barrels down
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2017, 07:16:15 PM »
Agree. A tree fell on our house during Fran (1996... I was four) but we were comparatively lucky in that there was no serious structural damage apart from my bedroom being uninhabitable until the roof and cracked ceiling was repaired. (Also luckily I was sleeping in my parents' bedroom at the time because the wind and cracking of trees all around us was scary <.<) Glad you all survived Irmageddon and hopefully this unfortunate situation will get resolved quickly...

Thank you, amw. It’s never a good thing to go through something like this, but I have faith that things will get better.
"Music must be beautiful, or it wouldn’t be worth the effort” - Bohuslav Martinů

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2017, 12:15:09 PM »
Thank you, amw. It’s never a good thing to go through something like this, but I have faith that things will get better.
Very sorry that I came to this news late John.
All strength to you and your parents.
Jeffrey
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2017, 04:56:43 PM »
Jeffrey

Same here, John. Just happened to cast an eye on this thread now. Keep well !

Microbursts can be quite deadly (to trees, anyway). Basically it's a force 1 tornado gust of wind, but it goes straight into a narrow corridor, it does not gyrate. 3 years ago in our neighborhood we experienced such an occurence. On our 3 little streets (basically a bisected loop) 7 mature linden trees were felled, and 3 tall spruces were neatly cut off 10 feet from the top. The 10-feet sectioned tops landed on the lawns, looking like so many abandoned christmas trees. Amazingly, none of the big linden trees fell on their owner's houses. They all fell in the streets, causing the whole neighborhood to be totally cut off from the main road. The whole thing takes less than 2 minutes to happen.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2017, 06:10:52 PM »
Same here, John. Just happened to cast an eye on this thread now. Keep well !

Microbursts can be quite deadly (to trees, anyway). Basically it's a force 1 tornado gust of wind, but it goes straight into a narrow corridor, it does not gyrate. 3 years ago in our neighborhood we experienced such an occurence. On our 3 little streets (basically a bisected loop) 7 mature linden trees were felled, and 3 tall spruces were neatly cut off 10 feet from the top. The 10-feet sectioned tops landed on the lawns, looking like so many abandoned christmas trees. Amazingly, none of the big linden trees fell on their owner's houses. They all fell in the streets, causing the whole neighborhood to be totally cut off from the main road. The whole thing takes less than 2 minutes to happen.
Jeffrey

To both of you, thank you so much.

I just wanted to thank everyone and tell you all how much I appreciate your good wishes, kindness, and sympathy. We have an adjuster coming out tomorrow. I’ll keep you guys updated as to what’s going to happen.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 06:14:04 PM by Mirror Image »
"Music must be beautiful, or it wouldn’t be worth the effort” - Bohuslav Martinů

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2017, 09:00:41 AM »
A bit of an update:

The insurance adjuster came out and inspected the whole house. A nice man. He said there was significant structural damage and he’ll send a contractor out to give us an estimate on what it will cost to repair. Once the repair work is decided upon and finally gets underway, the insurance company will move us out and into a temporary house until all of the work is done. They will also hire a reputable moving company to help with the move. The best part about all of this is it’ll be paid for by the insurance company.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2017, 09:12:43 AM »
A bit of an update:

The insurance adjuster came out and inspected the whole house. A nice man. He said there was significant structural damage and he’ll send a contractor out to give us an estimate on what it will cost to repair. Once the repair work is decided upon and finally gets underway, the insurance company will move us out and into a temporary house until all of the work is done. They will also hire a reputable moving company to help with the move. The best part about all of this is it’ll be paid for by the insurance company.
Good news John - keep us posted on developments.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2017, 09:17:46 AM »
Good news John - keep us posted on developments.

Will do, Jeffrey.

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2017, 12:12:50 PM »
A bit of an update:

Good news.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2017, 12:16:24 PM »

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2017, 05:57:29 PM »
A bit of an update:

That is good news. 
On my end, because of hurricane caused problems to the city water system, I lived under a boil water order from Monday noontide until last night (Saturday).
You don't notice how much water you use to do simple things like washing your hands, brushing teeth, washing dishes ,etc. when you just turn on a faucet. But when you have to use jugs you bought or filled after boiling...you notice. It's a lot.

And remember that well into the 19th century, into the 20th century is some parts of the industrial world, and currently in many "Third World" places, water was only obtained by lugging it from wells or other outside sources, often polluted and germy.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2017, 07:56:19 PM »
That is good news. 
On my end, because of hurricane caused problems to the city water system, I lived under a boil water order from Monday noontide until last night (Saturday).
You don't notice how much water you use to do simple things like washing your hands, brushing teeth, washing dishes ,etc. when you just turn on a faucet. But when you have to use jugs you bought or filled after boiling...you notice. It's a lot.

And remember that well into the 19th century, into the 20th century is some parts of the industrial world, and currently in many "Third World" places, water was only obtained by lugging it from wells or other outside sources, often polluted and germy.

Indeed, in many cases, it’s the little things we take for granted, but sometimes these little things end up having the greatest impact. Take care, my friend.

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #91 on: September 18, 2017, 02:34:29 AM »
A bit of an update:

Molto bene.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #92 on: September 18, 2017, 05:47:05 AM »
Hurricane Maria - next! Oi!
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2017, 08:54:42 AM »
Hurricane Maria - next! Oi!
Puerto Rico & the Virgin Islands are probably thinking

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yYvyh3IIdDk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yYvyh3IIdDk</a>

..... I'm so sorry.

Maria expected to intensify into the 4th Category 4 of the season. No real good news except that its predecessor Lee has failed to gain much traction and is back down to a tropical depression.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 08:57:47 AM by amw »

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #95 on: September 18, 2017, 05:38:11 PM »
Maria intensified from a Category 1 to a Category 5 hurricane in 18 hours and has now made landfall on Dominica. Potential for massive devastation and it's expected to strengthen further before hitting Puerto Rico.... It's still a comparatively small hurricane, but definitely a scary one.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 05:42:40 PM by amw »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2017, 08:19:22 PM »
Hurricane Maria’s projected path:

Those islands have just been pummeled one after another. I feel bad for anyone who lives in these hurricanes’ paths.

Offline Spineur

• Veteran member
  • Magdalena Kozena, Felicity Lott with love
    Mozart & friends
« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2017, 01:17:38 AM »
Maria intensified from a Category 1 to a Category 5 hurricane in 18 hours and has now made landfall on Dominica. Potential for massive devastation and it's expected to strengthen further before hitting Puerto Rico.... It's still a comparatively small hurricane, but definitely a scary one.
It actually went from tropical storm to Category 5 in 48 hours.  I watched a documentary on Hurricanes last week.  An expert claimed that this is possible only when there is a large difference in humidity between the humidity at the storm eye and the ambient humidity at sea level.  In these circumstances, vast amount of heat can be transferred from the sea to the hurricane and therefor increase its stored energy.

From what I heard, the Martinique Island has seen moderate damage, but Dominica is almost totally destroyed.  No news from Guadeloupe yet.

A woman voice glides like the wind
Of black, of damp, of night
And all it touches in this flight
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2017, 04:07:31 PM »
One death reported in Guadeloupe and at least six in Dominica (though I haven't seen the latter confirmed by major news outlets yet).

Maria is still rapidly intensifying, now with an estimated central pressure of 906 mbar—stronger than Irma—and winds of 175 mph. Looks like it's going to make a direct hit on Puerto Rico but it's small enough that the exact trajectory will make a big difference (also due to interaction with PR's mountainous terrain which would weaken it significantly). In any case this would be the third major disaster to hit U.S. soil in two months. Mexico, not to be outdone, had a massive earthquake near Puebla which has resulted in over a hundred deaths so far. :/

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK