Author Topic: Pray for Florida - Irma barrels down  (Read 2594 times)

Offline Scion7

• Veteran member
  • "A vér az élet."
Re: Pray for Florida - Irma barrels down
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2017, 02:27:33 PM »

Rain and wind in store for us this evening.
Nothing like Florida, of course.
Some of the SC beaches are having some problems.
Your barricades lie broken ... your enemies lord.

Offline Spineur

• Veteran member
  • Magdalena Kozena, Felicity Lott with love
  • Currently Listening to:
    Mozart & friends
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2017, 08:40:22 AM »
After turning onto itself José may be heading for south Carolina this week-end.
A woman voice glides like the wind
Of black, of damp, of night
And all it touches in this flight
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872 - 1958)
    The lark ascending into the horizon
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2017, 01:21:08 PM »
Just wanted to give an update (esp. since our internet connection is now functioning):

Monday night was one of the most traumatic experiences of my life (so far). Due to the wind and rain, there was a massive amount of damage done to our house’s roof thanks to a tree, which was actually a perfectly healthy tree but a tree from the neighbor’s house from across the road had been uprooted and this caused a domino effect. The power was out and we had water leaks through the roof that were coming through. Thankfully, my dad and I moved fast enough and got everything that was of great value away from the water leak. My parents and I felt completely helpless through most of the night, but we did what we could given our circumstances. On Tuesday, we had a tree service come out and, first, cut up/remove the tree that was in the middle of the road and then they got this what must be a 100 year old tree off of our house. The damage had worsened from lying on our roof through most of Monday night, so when they got this tree down, the guy who owned this tree company (who’s been in business for close to 40 years) said that there was major structural damage to the house. On Monday night, my mom had filed a claim with the insurance company, but what’s definitely going to happen is we’ll have to move out because the costs of repairs to the house, which will include not only a new roof, but new sheet rock inside my closest and in the guest bedroom, will costs more than what the house is worth. This gigantic tree caused damage to our house’s foundation as well as there’s a stress crack now on the side of the house. The most important thing is we’re all okay and I’m grateful that none of us were hurt as it could have easily coming all the way through the house and killed us since all three of us (my parents and myself) were in the path of this fallen tree.

Please keep us all in your thoughts and prayers. It’s not an easy thing to do to just pick up and leave a house that we’ve lived in since ’91. We have a history here and it’s a shame that at both of my parents’ age (65 yrs. old) that they have to even consider this, but these things happen and there are many people around us and in the following areas that got it worse than we did unfortunately. It’s just a trying time for us all.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 01:25:20 PM by Mirror Image »
"In the next world, I shan't be doing music, with all the striving and disappointments. I shall be being it.” - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Parsifal

« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2017, 01:49:56 PM »
Wow. Sorry to hear that. Good that no one was hurt, at least.

If the house is insured, then they will have to pay for repairs. I don't think it is likely that it would be financially advantageous to abandon the property, rather than repair it.

Offline Spineur

• Veteran member
  • Magdalena Kozena, Felicity Lott with love
    Mozart & friends
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2017, 01:57:57 PM »
This sound like a nightmarish experience.  Thanks god nobody got hurt.

As far as your house, I would try to evaluate the likelyhood such a huge storm would repeat in the years to come.  Repairs are fine as long as you do them only once.

A woman voice glides like the wind
Of black, of damp, of night
And all it touches in this flight
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2017, 02:02:37 PM »
Agree. A tree fell on our house during Fran (1996... I was four) but we were comparatively lucky in that there was no serious structural damage apart from my bedroom being uninhabitable until the roof and cracked ceiling was repaired. (Also luckily I was sleeping in my parents' bedroom at the time because the wind and cracking of trees all around us was scary <.<) Glad you all survived Irmageddon and hopefully this unfortunate situation will get resolved quickly...

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2017, 02:07:47 PM »

If the house is insured, then they will have to pay for repairs. I don't think it is likely that it would be financially advantageous to abandon the property, rather than repair it.

Thank you, Scarpia. Yes, the house is insured (for $500,000 I believe is what the maximum total is). My dad who is quite savvy and knowledgeable about this kind of stuff said the total amount of repair work done to the house will cost up to $150,000. The tree caused considerable structural damage, especially to load-bearing walls and the roof will have to stripped off and completely redone. We haven’t from the insurance company as of yet (I’m sure they’re busy beyond belief right now). What could happen is the insurance company buy the house and we move or they repair all the damages, which will take months and months to repair and put us up in a rental home until the repairs are done. Any way you look at it, it’s a tough situation, but I believe we’ll come out alright in the end.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 02:11:00 PM by Mirror Image »
"In the next world, I shan't be doing music, with all the striving and disappointments. I shall be being it.” - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2017, 02:09:41 PM »
Agree. A tree fell on our house during Fran (1996... I was four) but we were comparatively lucky in that there was no serious structural damage apart from my bedroom being uninhabitable until the roof and cracked ceiling was repaired. (Also luckily I was sleeping in my parents' bedroom at the time because the wind and cracking of trees all around us was scary <.<) Glad you all survived Irmageddon and hopefully this unfortunate situation will get resolved quickly...

This sound like a nightmarish experience.  Thanks god nobody got hurt.

As far as your house, I would try to evaluate the likelyhood such a huge storm would repeat in the years to come.  Repairs are fine as long as you do them only once.

Thank you, both. I really appreciate it.

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2017, 02:49:12 PM »
Eek. That's awful John. It's good no-one was hurt but like you say it's an awful wrench.

We dodged a bullet a couple years ago. Had the trees inspected, just routine, but the tree guy said to take the big one down. So reluctantly did. That winter was the ice storm in Toronto and trees came down all around. Would have totaled the house.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Parsifal

« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2017, 02:52:47 PM »
Could have been worse. I can imagine the conversation with the insurance adjuster.

Honest, sir, $50,000 in CDs were wiped out by that tree branch..

[eye roll]

...the Shostakovich alone...

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2017, 02:54:08 PM »
Eek. That's awful John. It's good no-one was hurt but like you say it's an awful wrench.

We dodged a bullet a couple years ago. Had the trees inspected, just routine, but the tree guy said to take the big one down. So reluctantly did. That winter was the ice storm in Toronto and trees came down all around. Would have totaled the house.

Thank you, Ken. Unfortunately, in our situation, our tree was perfectly healthy (a big one too, probably 100 years old), but a microburst (i. e. basically a ‘mini-tornado’) uprooted a neighbor’s tree (that was also perfectly healthy) that hit our tree and caused a domino effect.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2017, 02:55:28 PM »
Could have been worse. I can imagine the conversation with the insurance adjuster.

Honest, sir, $50,000 in CDs were wiped out by that tree branch..

[eye roll]

...the Shostakovich alone...

Haha.... :D

It could have been much worse is so true. Thankfully, no CDs were harmed in the storm and were well away from the damaged areas.

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2017, 03:03:52 PM »
Haha.... :D

Thankfully, no CDs were harmed in the storm and were well away from the damaged areas.

So you're telling us, there's lots of room left for more.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2017, 03:07:49 PM »
So you're telling us, there's lots of room left for more.

:P

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2017, 04:44:23 PM »
Man, that was quite a jolt!  One of my big fears, living in tree country. When we lost our roof, I was so afraid it would come to having trees down on it. At that time we had a row of mature, huge pines along the north edge of the house site, and of course, the wind would be coming out of the north. We were damned lucky that those easily-toppled pines stayed up. Two years later, when we had some thinning done in our woodlot, sadly those pines went to the lumber company. We just didn't want to take a chance of getting lucky twice.

I'm very pleased for you that neither you or your family nor anything else irreplaceable took the hit. Just goes to show you about hurricanes, they'll do what they want to do, predictions be damned!

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2017, 04:47:01 PM »
Man, that was quite a jolt!  One of my big fears, living in tree country. When we lost our roof, I was so afraid it would come to having trees down on it. At that time we had a row of mature, huge pines along the north edge of the house site, and of course, the wind would be coming out of the north. We were damned lucky that those easily-toppled pines stayed up. Two years later, when we had some thinning done in our woodlot, sadly those pines went to the lumber company. We just didn't want to take a chance of getting lucky twice.

I'm very pleased for you that neither you or your family nor anything else irreplaceable took the hit. Just goes to show you about hurricanes, they'll do what they want to do, predictions be damned!

8)

Indeed, Gurn. Thank you! :)

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2017, 05:10:32 PM »
Just wanted to give an update (esp. since our internet connection is now functioning):

Monday night was one of the most traumatic experiences of my life (so far). Due to the wind and rain, there was a massive amount of damage done to our house’s roof thanks to a tree, which was actually a perfectly healthy tree but a tree from the neighbor’s house from across the road had been uprooted and this caused a domino effect. The power was out and we had water leaks through the roof that were coming through. Thankfully, my dad and I moved fast enough and got everything that was of great value away from the water leak. My parents and I felt completely helpless through most of the night, but we did what we could given our circumstances. On Tuesday, we had a tree service come out and, first, cut up/remove the tree that was in the middle of the road and then they got this what must be a 100 year old tree off of our house. The damage had worsened from lying on our roof through most of Monday night, so when they got this tree down, the guy who owned this tree company (who’s been in business for close to 40 years) said that there was major structural damage to the house. On Monday night, my mom had filed a claim with the insurance company, but what’s definitely going to happen is we’ll have to move out because the costs of repairs to the house, which will include not only a new roof, but new sheet rock inside my closest and in the guest bedroom, will costs more than what the house is worth. This gigantic tree caused damage to our house’s foundation as well as there’s a stress crack now on the side of the house. The most important thing is we’re all okay and I’m grateful that none of us were hurt as it could have easily coming all the way through the house and killed us since all three of us (my parents and myself) were in the path of this fallen tree.

Please keep us all in your thoughts and prayers. It’s not an easy thing to do to just pick up and leave a house that we’ve lived in since ’91. We have a history here and it’s a shame that at both of my parents’ age (65 yrs. old) that they have to even consider this, but these things happen and there are many people around us and in the following areas that got it worse than we did unfortunately. It’s just a trying time for us all.
Glad you are all ok. It took relatives of mine more than a year to finish repairing the house after Sandy, so it will take a while. Happy to hear none of you were hurt.
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2017, 05:32:34 PM »
Glad you are all ok. It took relatives of mine more than a year to finish repairing the house after Sandy, so it will take a while. Happy to hear none of you were hurt.

Thank you, Neal. We’re still unsure of what the step will be, but will keep you posted.

Online Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2017, 06:57:33 PM »

Wow...so out of all if us, you had the worst experience, and it was only a tropical storm when it visited you!

I hope repairing the house costs less and takes less time than you fear. Don't forget about FEMA (and the Red Cross for that matter). Where are you currently staying?

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2017, 07:15:16 PM »
Wow...so out of all if us, you had the worst experience, and it was only a tropical storm when it visited you!

I hope repairing the house costs less and takes less time than you fear. Don't forget about FEMA (and the Red Cross for that matter). Where are you currently staying?

Thanks a lot, Jeffrey. Yes, it seems we were battered worse than you guys down there in Florida! The problem was we had a relatively wet summer and the ground was quite soft and these trees up here just can’t withstand those kinds of winds. So when the wind unleashed it’s final fury of gusts (in this case: a microburst), it ripped many trees right out of the ground and, thus, created that domino effect I mentioned above.

Our house is livable right now. The tree service has tacked up several large tarps so no more rain can come through, but it also helps that the massive tree is gone since no more pressure is on where it dropped. It’s just whatever we decide to do. We won’t be able to live here during the repair work (if this is what my parents have in mind). We may very well end up moving as we’ve had a lot of problems with this house --- (it’s around 40 yrs. old now). My parents are already looking for houses now and keeping tabs on the one’s they’re interested in. This next house will be much larger and will have a lot more storage space, which we need thanks to me and my dad’s appetite for music collecting. ;) But, like I said earlier, it’s really just kind of up in the air right now until we hear back from the insurance company.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK