Author Topic: The current musical capital for contemporary music?  (Read 1930 times)

Thatfabulousalien

The current musical capital for contemporary music?
« on: September 09, 2017, 01:59:52 AM »
While I have my own guesses, what do you think "the place to be" is for new music (classical) in the world right now?

Say I was going traveling  ;D

Offline amw

• Veteran member
Re: The current musical capital for contemporary music?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 02:56:13 AM »
Berlin.

Offline Omicron9

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 07:47:12 AM »
For the US, I'd guess New York and Boston.
"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Parsifal

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 09:09:26 AM »
Amazon.com

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 09:30:37 AM »
Youtube.com
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Turner

• Veteran member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 09:37:09 AM »
Probably Berlin, yes.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Rued Langgaard (1893 - 1952)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Musik fra den himmelske by
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 12:34:29 PM »
I don’t think there’s solely one music capital for contemporary music, but several. Berlin, certainly. London? I’d also add Helsinki.
“I really would like to go to Marmorkirken. It was there that I heard music for the first time, and that experience is like a heavenly vision for me.” - Rued Langgaard

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
    probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 03:52:25 PM »
The nearest Bach organ recital.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 10:37:18 PM »
London?

No

Berlin.

Yes

Say I was going traveling  ;D

Be a journeyman, travel and explore. Then decide where the action is for yourself.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:40:20 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Turner

• Veteran member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 02:25:56 AM »
Motels are an exotic and rare accommodation type in Europe. Head for hostels, b&bs and small hotels, possibly airbnb too.

Accommodation in eastern Europe can be extremely cheap out of season, also flats. Berlin isn't among the most expensive cities here. But Paris and London are, as regards accommodation, unless you are able to get a special arrangement.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 02:30:17 AM by Turner »

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 02:31:23 AM »
Essentially I am going to save up lots of money and go travelling in a country that has a good music scene for contemporary music, sometime next yea. I am making life decisions here. I may very well drop out of Uni to experience the foreign world, then come back and settle down into my (solemn) career as an artist in the modern age  ::)

You might enjoy a small town named Kuerten in Germany, zip code 51515. I understand it is the true center of contemporary music not just of the world, but of the Universe Itself! 0:)
COWBOY (sitting down to a poker game for the first time): "Is this a game of chance?!"

- W. C. FIELDS  (as Cuthbert Twillie): "Uhh, not the way I play it, no." in  My Little Chickadee.

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 03:13:10 AM »

Basically I want the whole deal:

Seeing modernist chamber and orchestral music on the live stage
Sleeping in motels
Sleeping on pavements
Sleeping in carparks
Sleeping in backpackers
Going surfing on an exotic beach
Hitchiking
Getting my stuff stolen
Falling in love with a woman who finds me attractive, who speaks an entirely gibberish language to my ears
Writing song cycles about foreign cultures
Making an indie documentary of all of this
Meeting several leading, living composers
Eating weird foods
and so on  8)

This is all possible, without to much difficulty I'd say.

The bible for doing this sort of thing in olden times was this

I did what you want to do in the US, the US was exciting from my point of view, in fact I traveled for a while with a music student who had the same sort of ideas as you have. He found exciting music making there -- Cajun inspired music in Louisiana for example. He's got the career now -- he's quite an important prof in the conservatory in Chicoutimi Quebec. Meeting composers and finding concerts was no problem -- whenever we passed a music shop he'd go in, introduce himself, beg to be allowed to practise on one of the pianos, meet people, get introductions and invitations . . . musical people are friendly, or they were.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 07:52:26 AM by Mandryka »

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 03:29:12 AM »
You might enjoy a small town named Kuerten in Germany, zip code 51515. I understand it is the true center of contemporary music not just of the world, but of the Universe Itself! 0:)

LOL

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 06:36:52 AM »
You might enjoy a small town named Kuerten in Germany, zip code 51515. Guelph in Ontario. I understand it is the true center of contemporary music not just of the world, but of the Universe Itself! 0:)

FTFY

;) ;D
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 06:45:53 AM »
I've made nothing this year from my compositions, I wonder how Ferneyhough is doing?  ::)

He has a professorship at Stanford.  I think he's doing alright.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Offline some guy

• Veteran member
    Music
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2017, 11:16:47 AM »
Not "the" capital, but a pretty important place, where you can get everything on your list except the beach, is Karlsruhe.

Cologne is also nice, but I think Karlsruhe has a more cutting edge nowadays.

Sounds like what you really want is for someone to say "Barcelona." But Barcelona is not a capital for contemporary music, though there are a few folks in Sant Andreu who are trying their best to make it so.

So ZKM and Fabri i coats are possibilities for ya. Plus these are both art centers, so all the arts, including music. You know, like CalArts. Speaking of which, there are lots of women who go there from all over the world. But everywhere you go, the women you're likely to meet all already speak English, too. Sorry. Maybe you need to go to Tokyo. Or even Montreal. Those are two places as well. (I hear Toronto is pretty cool, but I've never been.)

Offline Monsieur Croche

• Veteran member
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2017, 09:27:29 PM »
He has a professorship at Stanford.  I think he's doing alright.

If he has to pay for his own housing in or around Palo Alto, he might be just about breaking even, lol.
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

Offline 5against4

• 5:4
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2017, 01:16:43 AM »
As a late arrival to this discussion, can i postulate this:

a) there actually is no 'capital' for contemporary music;
b) but wherever we feel is the most likely candidate for a 'capital' is simply the place that presents most closely/often the contemporary music that we like best.

Personally, i don't think of any one place to be a 'capital' - i'm aware of the very distinct emphases that each place/festival has, and i simply go to those places in order to enjoy those things. But any one place on its own would never be enough. Besides, the term is misleading - a capital implies the place where the most people go, most often. In the UK, this would clearly be London - but that's not the place in the UK where the most innovative/radical contemporary music is presented, nor is it the most accurate indicator of what's really going on. In the UK that would probably be Huddersfield, but the number of people who go there (even during the annual festival) would be much, much fewer than London.

Musical capital for contemporary music = red herring.

Offline Rinaldo

• Veteran member
  • Cara sposa, dove sei?
    • aaraaf.net
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2017, 01:36:37 AM »
α | ì Æ ñ, you've missed this year's Ostrava Days but if there's a music festival YOU need to attend, it's this one.

Ostrava Days is focused on contemporary classical music, whether it be avant-garde, experimental, or otherwise risk-taking. The Festival is preceded by the Institute, which allows young composers to work with world-famous figures of contemporary music for three weeks and be present at rehearsals of their own pieces.

Your next chance is 2019 (or next year, as it takes turns with the New Opera Days festival). And I heartily suggest you take it.

Offline Turner

• Veteran member
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2017, 01:51:16 AM »
For transport options when combining interesting destinations, www.rome2rio.com gives a convenient overview literally everywhere on the globe, but details should always be checked afterwards on individual, relevant sites, since rome2rio can also be rather sketchy, exact dates will mean something, etc.

www.bahn.com has good train schedules for everywhere in Europe, but buses can be a convenient and cheaper alternative. And for flights, www.momondo.com - but stick to the main providers, especially the airlines themselves, when booking.

I usually check out www.booking.com, www.hotelscombined.com , www.hostels.com and www.hostelworld.com when searching for accommodation. Again, there can be alternative, interesting options on the exact destination too, however, and those sites don´t provide rental flats.

In Czechia, Prague is absolutely wonderful, but to my knowledge the contemporary music scene is limited there. The Warsaw Autumn Festival still exists https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsaw_Autumn
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 02:50:17 AM by Turner »