Author Topic: The current musical capital for contemporary music?  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
Re: The current musical capital for contemporary music?
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2017, 07:45:53 AM »
I've made nothing this year from my compositions, I wonder how Ferneyhough is doing?  ::)

He has a professorship at Stanford.  I think he's doing alright.

Offline some guy

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Music
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2017, 12:16:47 PM »
Not "the" capital, but a pretty important place, where you can get everything on your list except the beach, is Karlsruhe.

Cologne is also nice, but I think Karlsruhe has a more cutting edge nowadays.

Sounds like what you really want is for someone to say "Barcelona." But Barcelona is not a capital for contemporary music, though there are a few folks in Sant Andreu who are trying their best to make it so.

So ZKM and Fabri i coats are possibilities for ya. Plus these are both art centers, so all the arts, including music. You know, like CalArts. Speaking of which, there are lots of women who go there from all over the world. But everywhere you go, the women you're likely to meet all already speak English, too. Sorry. Maybe you need to go to Tokyo. Or even Montreal. Those are two places as well. (I hear Toronto is pretty cool, but I've never been.)

Offline Monsieur Croche

• Veteran member
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2017, 10:27:29 PM »
He has a professorship at Stanford.  I think he's doing alright.

If he has to pay for his own housing in or around Palo Alto, he might be just about breaking even, lol.
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

Offline 5against4

• 5:4
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2017, 02:16:43 AM »
As a late arrival to this discussion, can i postulate this:

a) there actually is no 'capital' for contemporary music;
b) but wherever we feel is the most likely candidate for a 'capital' is simply the place that presents most closely/often the contemporary music that we like best.

Personally, i don't think of any one place to be a 'capital' - i'm aware of the very distinct emphases that each place/festival has, and i simply go to those places in order to enjoy those things. But any one place on its own would never be enough. Besides, the term is misleading - a capital implies the place where the most people go, most often. In the UK, this would clearly be London - but that's not the place in the UK where the most innovative/radical contemporary music is presented, nor is it the most accurate indicator of what's really going on. In the UK that would probably be Huddersfield, but the number of people who go there (even during the annual festival) would be much, much fewer than London.

Musical capital for contemporary music = red herring.

Offline Rinaldo

• Veteran member
  • Cara sposa, dove sei?
    • aaraaf.net
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2017, 02:36:37 AM »
α | , you've missed this year's Ostrava Days but if there's a music festival YOU need to attend, it's this one.

Ostrava Days is focused on contemporary classical music, whether it be avant-garde, experimental, or otherwise risk-taking. The Festival is preceded by the Institute, which allows young composers to work with world-famous figures of contemporary music for three weeks and be present at rehearsals of their own pieces.

Your next chance is 2019 (or next year, as it takes turns with the New Opera Days festival). And I heartily suggest you take it.

Online Turner

• Veteran member
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2017, 02:51:16 AM »
For transport options when combining interesting destinations, www.rome2rio.com gives a convenient overview literally everywhere on the globe, but details should always be checked afterwards on individual, relevant sites, since rome2rio can also be rather sketchy, exact dates will mean something, etc.

www.bahn.com has good train schedules for everywhere in Europe, but buses can be a convenient and cheaper alternative. And for flights, www.momondo.com - but stick to the main providers, especially the airlines themselves, when booking.

I usually check out www.booking.com, www.hotelscombined.com , www.hostels.com and www.hostelworld.com when searching for accommodation. Again, there can be alternative, interesting options on the exact destination too, however, and those sites dont provide rental flats.

In Czechia, Prague is absolutely wonderful, but to my knowledge the contemporary music scene is limited there. The Warsaw Autumn Festival still exists https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warsaw_Autumn
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 03:50:17 AM by Turner »

Offline Rinaldo

• Veteran member
  • Cara sposa, dove sei?
    • aaraaf.net
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2017, 02:58:16 AM »
In Czechia, Prague is absolutely wonderful, but to my knowledge the contemporary music scene is limited there.

Hence my recommendation of Ostrava. During the festival, it truly feels like the contemporary capital of the world.

Online Turner

• Veteran member
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2017, 03:06:28 AM »
Hence my recommendation of Ostrava. During the festival, it truly feels like the contemporary capital of the world.

Ostrava also has other interesting nearby cities - Vienna, Budapest and Cracow for instance, and the town of Olomouc, plus smaller, but composer-related places like Brno (Janacek), Zakopane (Szymanowski), Litomysl (Smetana), Policka (Martinu). Surely, the Czech Republic can be heartily recommended as worth a visit for cultural reasons.

Besides the incredible number of sights in Prague, theres certainly also a lively, international scene there as regards the contemporary visual arts.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 03:10:55 AM by Turner »

Offline Spineur

• Veteran member
  • Magdalena Kozena, Felicity Lott with love
    Mozart & friends
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2017, 03:22:28 AM »
The other important parameter is how much money is there for commissioning new compositions.  On that count , I applaud US congress which just decided in a rare bipartisan agreement to reject Trump desire to scrap the Endowment for the arts federal agency, and in fact slightly increase its budget.

Furthermore, because of the tax break scheme in the US, there is a lot of private money willing to commission new works.  This does not answers the question asked, but stresses the importance endowments have for the arts.
A woman voice glides like the wind
Of black, of damp, of night
And all it touches in this flight
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Offline Rinaldo

• Veteran member
  • Cara sposa, dove sei?
    • aaraaf.net
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2017, 03:33:44 AM »
Ostrava also has other interesting nearby cities - Vienna, Budapest and Cracow for instance, and the town of Olomouc, plus smaller, but composer-related places like Brno (Janacek), Zakopane (Szymanowski), Litomysl (Smetana), Policka (Martinu). Surely, the Czech Republic can be heartily recommended as worth a visit for cultural reasons.

Besides the incredible number of sights in Prague, theres certainly also a lively, international scene there as regards the contemporary visual arts.

AND you can get a beer with me when you're around ;)

The places you've mentioned are definitely worth a visit and I'd add Kutn Hora to the mix. Beautiful little towns, especially Polička and Litomyl.

Offline some guy

• Veteran member
    Music
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2017, 03:40:29 AM »
Yeah, as festivals go, Ostrava Days is pretty far up the list.

Some of the very coolest things I've heard I've heard in Ostrava.

And that reminded me of another place where at least at festival time, there's a ton of interesting new stuff being done, and that's Wrocław. It's a wildly pretty town, too. But then Crest, in France, is the place to be, too, during the festival. Otherwise...?

In France, there seems to be this idea that you hold your festivals in the tiniest, most out of the way places. It's just a thing that they have. Chalon-sur-Sane would be the biggest of those tiny places, and the least out of the way. I've been to a festival in France in a town so tiny that festival attendees have to stay in houses around the countryside. I walked into "town" every day, 40 minutes each way. Oh, it's fun.

Offline listener

• Veteran member
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2017, 11:53:18 AM »
A week of new music in Vancouver BC in January 2018   http://www.vancouversymphony.ca/festivals/17NMF/

Offline arpeggio

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2017, 04:46:17 AM »
My wife and I have attended a few music festivals that feature contemporary music.

Ojai, California has one of the oldest in the United States.

Saint Louis, Missouri; Santa Fe, New Mexico and Saratoga, New York have summer opera festivals which stage at least one modern or contemporary work.  The year my wife and I attended Santa Fe we saw Berg's Wozzeck and Menotti's The Last Savage.

Staunton, Virginia has a small summer music festival that programs all sorts of music from period instruments to contemporary.  Every year they premier at least two or three new works.

Tanglewood, the summer home of the Boston Symphony, programs a lot of contemporary music.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK