Author Topic: Do you track who made certain recommendations to you?  (Read 1005 times)

Offline amw

• Veteran member
Re: Do you track who made certain recommendations to you?
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2017, 04:35:43 AM »
I'm always surprised and somewhat guilty feeling when someone informs me they actually took a recommendation I madeI kind of assume everyone knows I'm crazy and like weird stuff at this point, and worry I'll make people spend cash on things that aren't actually good >.>

Also whilst I ask for recommendations a lot it's usually not to take them, just to read what people have to say so I can articulate opinions I've already formed about whatever recording it is. I do sometimes end up finding out about recordings that I didn't know existed though. That is always helpful to me, so thanks guys, I guess.

Parsifal

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2017, 05:25:59 AM »
Here is crediting you for recommending the Vermeer Beethoven! My copy should arrive next month!

Here's my victory dance!

Offline musicrom

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2017, 03:19:16 PM »
I don't actively track them, but hopefully I remember who recommends a piece that I end up liking a lot.

Offline Monsieur Croche

• Veteran member
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2017, 10:32:38 PM »
I think I Always have done so.  Whether it was a sales clerk at a brick and mortar record store (the better of them know the rep, distinguish between styles of performance on recordings of the same piece, etc.)  Like a good librarian, they can sense your taste, how much to push you into another area, and when.

Individuals: sometimes it is just a matter of their tastes match yours, others are more 'catholic' and can do the librarian business if they know you any length of time.

Almost never have relied upon: Journals, 'gramaphone' magazines, online seller's reviews, amateur user-critic's reviews etc. 
No matter what, these venues are in business to make enough money, at least, to perpetuate their business, pay their staff, and to some degree, they are all partially tainted by somewhat having to take care to not offend the record companies.

In the current situation of an impossible amount of recordings available, and instant click and pay, I think suggestions by those whose tastes you trust are near to invaluable.
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

Offline Holden

• Veteran member
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2017, 02:41:29 PM »
Recommendations for me came from forums like this. After a while Ive discovered who has similar tastes to me and if they say l like this then Ill look at it as well. Ive  discovered some fabulous recordings this way.
Cheers

Holden

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872 - 1958)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The lark ascending into the horizon
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2017, 04:19:15 PM »
Most of the recommendations I get come to me indirectly via the What Are You Listening To Now? thread. Someone will post an album cover and a work that I might be interested in and Ill go check out the music on YouTube or something. If I like the work and/or recording, Ill probably buy it.
"In the next world, I shan't be doing music, with all the striving and disappointments. I shall be being it. - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK