Author Topic: Favorite film directors!  (Read 2452 times)

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
Re: Favorite film directors!
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2017, 05:44:20 AM »

You have to be pretty damn good to be consistently overrated like Lynch, Hitchcock and Tarantino.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2017, 05:45:39 AM »
While I'm far from the adulating type when it comes to Lynch, I'd argue he's a very talented artist. What I like about him the most is the fact that there's a lot of humanity under all the shock & surreal stuff he does. Have you seen The Elephant Man or The Straight Story, by any chance? I perfectly understand that his more unhinged work isn't for everyone and might be perceived as you described, but I usually enjoy his unique combination of dream logic and pop sensibilities. Plus, he can be quite hitchcockian when he wants (and I mean that as a compliment :)).
Elephant Man is the exception - the one move he made that is generally excellent. I'll give you that. But I feel no humanity in his later works. I never feel anything for his characters, in fact quite the opposite. I usually feel they get what they deserve and wish it would happen faster! I find one thing that works against him is that his characters make stupid decisions and thus I cannot suspend disbelief when that happens. Mulholland Drive comes to mind.
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2017, 05:46:26 AM »
     You have to be pretty damn good to be consistently overrated like Lynch, Hitchcock and Tarantino.

Or really good at hyping/marketing yourself...
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2017, 06:02:29 AM »
Elephant Man is the exception - the one move he made that is generally excellent. I'll give you that. But I feel no humanity in his later works. I never feel anything for his characters, in fact quite the opposite. I usually feel they get what they deserve and wish it would happen faster! I find one thing that works against him is that his characters make stupid decisions and thus I cannot suspend disbelief when that happens. Mulholland Drive comes to mind.

Then you need to see The Straight Story, which is one of the most wonderful movies ever!
"Now who taught ye t' be playin' patty fingers in the holy water?"

- Barry Fitzgerald to John Wayne in  The Quiet Man.

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2017, 06:22:46 AM »
Or really good at hyping/marketing yourself...

I don't think the desire to rewatch the films of these directors over decades comes down to hype and marketing. Further, these directors I named are influential among other filmmakers to a considerable degree. I don't know what all goes into artistic merit, but I'd be willing to bet a widespread desire to revisit the films over an extended period and influence on generations of filmmakers are big factors.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2017, 06:41:15 AM »
     I don't think the desire to rewatch the films of these directors over decades comes down to hype and marketing. Further, these directors I named are influential among other filmmakers to a considerable degree. I don't know what all goes into artistic merit, but I'd be willing to bet a widespread desire to revisit the films over an extended period and influence on generations of filmmakers are big factors.
Most people don't re-watch Lynch movies. Most people don't know his movies. He's known for the tv show.  Tarentino is certainly at a different level with movies like Pulp Fiction.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2017, 07:29:11 AM »

Then you need to see The Straight Story, which is one of the most wonderful movies ever!

Note taken.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Online TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2017, 07:32:59 AM »

Yes! The ending, although understated, is extremely powerful. Farnsworth's acting is so natural it feels like a documentary at times.

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2017, 08:15:17 AM »
Yes! The ending, although understated, is extremely powerful. Farnsworth's acting is so natural it feels like a documentary at times.

And not just his performance, but the entire crew of character actors are excellent!
"Now who taught ye t' be playin' patty fingers in the holy water?"

- Barry Fitzgerald to John Wayne in  The Quiet Man.

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2017, 08:36:05 AM »
No particular order

Ingmar Bergman
Jean-Pierre Melville
Akira Kurosawa
Charles Chaplin
Alfred Hitchcock
Francis Ford Coppola
Wes Anderson
Coen brothers
Rainer Werner Fassbinder
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2017, 09:07:12 AM »
Most people don't re-watch Lynch movies. Most people don't know his movies. He's known for the tv show.  Tarentino is certainly at a different level with movies like Pulp Fiction.

Tarantino is more popular than Lynch. I didn't think we were talking about that, I though we were talking about people who compile lists of their favorite film directors.

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2017, 09:32:48 AM »
Mulholland Drive comes to mind.

Lynch's best movie imo.

People DO make stupid things in their lives, vote for Trump or something else...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 09:34:23 AM by 71 dB »
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2017, 09:33:32 AM »
But if we are going to talk about overrated, we can't fail to mention one of the worst directors in history who gets a pass from his fans at this site - David Lynch. What dreck - almost as bad as Tarantino sometimes is (another generally overrated Director). Reading all the adulation he gets on the other thread is difficult when you think he's not particularly talented and a one-trick pony (shock value anyone?).

I'm not saying I fully agree but it's nice to see a response that isn't just pious obeisance.

I find Lynch dull. Tarantino I think really is talented. Some of his movies are excellent. But the one-trick-pony charge fits what's wrong with a lot of his stuff. Certainly he's nowhere on my list of favourites.

Neither is Altman for example, but Gosford Park is one of my favourite movies.

Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2017, 09:42:52 AM »
Yet again I forgot another director  :o : Rainer Werner Fassbinder

Another director I don't I seen anything by, but often talked about and mentioned online. How do you see Fassbinder movies? Where have you seen them and how did you get exposed to them (and found out you like them)? I mean, they show Transformers movies on TV, not some obscure art films by Fassbinder

What's so special about Fassbinder[?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 09:44:34 AM by 71 dB »
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2017, 09:46:30 AM »
Another director I don't I seen anything by, but often talked about and mentioned online. How do you see Fassbinder movies? Where have you seen them and how did you get exposed to them (and found out you like them)? I mean, they show Transformers movies on TV, not some obscure art films by Fassbinder
I've seen at least 3 on the Finnish National Broadcasting Company's TV channels.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Archaic Torso of Apollo

• Veteran member
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2017, 10:30:58 AM »
Certainly he's nowhere on my list of favourites.

While Altman made a lot of films that were forgettable or just not very good, I rank him highly, partly because of his mastery of the "ensemble film" genre (which I think he more or less created), partly because some of his "non-ensemble" films are so good. In particular, Nashville, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, the mysterious and Bergmanesque 3 Women, and Short Cuts are among the best American films of their time. Short Cuts is particularly fascinating as an experiment in literary adaptation, especially if you know the Raymond Carver stories it's based on.

All of these films have enough layers to keep you busy with multiple viewings.

BTW, I live a few blocks from the estate where A Wedding (one of his not so good films) was shot. It's one of the old Armour family estates (of hot dog fame).
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Parsifal

« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2017, 10:52:24 AM »
John Sayles (Lone Star and Limbo). I have no idea what he has been doing since then.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2017, 11:05:21 AM »
While Altman made a lot of films that were forgettable or just not very good, I rank him highly, partly because of his mastery of the "ensemble film" genre (which I think he more or less created), partly because some of his "non-ensemble" films are so good. In particular, Nashville, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, the mysterious and Bergmanesque 3 Women, and Short Cuts are among the best American films of their time. Short Cuts is particularly fascinating as an experiment in literary adaptation, especially if you know the Raymond Carver stories it's based on.

BTW, I live a few blocks from the estate where A Wedding (one of his not so good films) was shot. It's one of the old Armour family estates (of hot dog fame).

The dogs kids love to bite!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2017, 11:54:48 AM »

My favorite among them is The Long Goodbye.

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2017, 05:13:48 PM »
I'm not saying I fully agree but it's nice to see a response that isn't just pious obeisance.

I find Lynch dull. Tarantino I think really is talented. Some of his movies are excellent. But the one-trick-pony charge fits what's wrong with a lot of his stuff. Certainly he's nowhere on my list of favourites.

That one is masterful. And I love the music choices as well.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK