Author Topic: Favorite film directors!  (Read 2450 times)

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
Re: Favorite film directors!
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2017, 05:15:03 PM »
Most people don't re-watch Lynch movies. Most people don't know his movies. He's known for the tv show.

That is true, many people who are Twin Peaks fans are completely perplexed by his movies and don't touch them. I, on the other hand am a Lynch fan firstly....who loves Twin Peaks  :laugh:

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2017, 05:18:21 PM »
But if we are going to talk about overrated, we can't fail to mention one of the worst directors in history who gets a pass from his fans at this site - David Lynch. What dreck - almost as bad as Tarantino sometimes is (another generally overrated Director). Reading all the adulation he gets on the other thread is difficult when you think he's not particularly talented and a one-trick pony (shock value anyone?).

To each their own I guess. Surrealism is my mojo, so I jive with Lynch.

Actually, the way you describe Lynch is similar to how I feel about Kubrick  ???

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
  • Currently Listening to:
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2017, 05:02:39 AM »
That one is masterful. And I love the music choices as well.

Indeed. My favourite scene is the servants listening at the door while Novello performs. Magical.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2017, 05:25:49 AM »
I've seen at least 3 on the Finnish National Broadcasting Company's TV channels.

I'm pretty lazy at monitoring which movies are shown and when so I miss a lot. Yle combined Teema and Fem so even less art movies on telly... ...TV is all sport and reality garbage these days  ::)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2017, 05:46:45 AM »
I'm pretty lazy at monitoring which movies are shown and when so I miss a lot. Yle combined Teema and Fem so even less art movies on telly... ...TV is all sport and reality garbage these days  ::)
I know how you feel. Yle Teema's coming (and gone) movies are easily seen here, though.
Bergman's Autumn Sonata was shown last Saturday, and tonight you can watch Kubrick's 'The Killing'.
Later this year there are movies by Zvjagintsev (Leviathan), Kubrick (Patsh of Glory, Dr. Strangelove, 2001: A Space Odyssey), Ford (The Searchers), Vidor (Gilda), Lang (Dr Mabuse, M), Tati, Lumet (Serpico), Fassbiner (The Marriage of Maria Braun), Melville (Le samourai), Eisenstein (October), Dardennes, (Deux jours une nuit), de Sica (La ciociara), Antonioni (L'avventura), Fellini (8½), Pasolini (Il vangelo secondo Matteo), McQueen (12 Years a Slave), Almodovar (Julieta), and others...
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Crudblud

« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2017, 05:48:29 AM »
I don't watch films very often these days. I find my interests come and go in phases, some months I do nothing (with my spare time) but read novels, others nothing but watch films, others nothing but listen to music. The past year hasn't been much of a film season for me, I've watched some stuff with friends, but mostly crap to riff on MST3k style, and I'm not particularly enthusiastic about cinema right now, but here are some directors off the top of my head whose films have stuck with me over the years, with particular favourites noted.

David Lynch - Wild at Heart / Lost Highway / Blue Velvet / Inland Empire / Mulholland Drive / Twin Peaks (as a whole)
Stanley Kubrick - 2001 / Barry Lyndon / The Shining / Full Metal Jacket / Eyes Wide Shut
Apichatpong Weerasethakul - Syndromes and a Century
Paul Thomas Anderson - There Will Be Blood / The Master / Inherent Vice
Wong Kar-Wai - Chungking Express / In the Mood for Love / 2046
Hou Hsiao-Hsien - Café Lumière / first and third sections of Three Times
Edward Yang - Yi Yi
Akira Kurosawa - Yojimbo / Rashomon / Kagemusha / Throne of Blood
Kenji Mizoguchi - Ugetsu
Terry Gilliam - Brazil / 12 Monkeys / Tideland / The Zero Theorem
Tsai Ming-Liang - Rebels of the Neon God
Ingmar Bergman - Wild Strawberries / The Virgin Spring
Ethan and Joel Coen - Barton Fink / A Serious Man / Raising Arizona
Sion Sono - Love Exposure
Masaki Kobayashi - Harakiri / Kwaidan
Mike Leigh - Naked

Not the most impressive or geographically varied list, but it's somethin'.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2017, 08:26:20 AM »
Stanley Kubrick - 2001 / Barry Lyndon / The Shining / Full Metal Jacket / Eyes Wide Shut

Thank you for noting these as particular favorites.  On Facebook t’other day when I posted a Spielberg remark defying anyone, once they’ve started to watch a Kubrick film, to push the Stop button . . . quite a few comments countered with at least three of your (and my) favorites.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Crudblud

« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2017, 08:35:58 AM »
Thank you for noting these as particular favorites.  On Facebook t’other day when I posted a Spielberg remark defying anyone, once they’ve started to watch a Kubrick film, to push the Stop button . . . quite a few comments countered with at least three of your (and my) favorites.

I mean, I can definitely understand being impatient with some Kubrick films, but I think once you get a handle on the deliberate pacing the atmosphere and visuals will carry you along for even three hours if necessary. For all his supposed austerity there's a real emotional core in a lot of his work that I think people tend to miss for whatever reason, a sense of slowness may be one of those reasons.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2017, 09:03:50 AM »
I mean, I can definitely understand being impatient with some Kubrick films, but I think once you get a handle on the deliberate pacing the atmosphere and visuals will carry you along for even three hours if necessary. For all his supposed austerity there's a real emotional core in a lot of his work that I think people tend to miss for whatever reason, a sense of slowness may be one of those reasons.

A number of scenes in this or that movie, it is certainly a scene which probably any other director in the world would shoot shorter, would excise pauses, might even slash away dialogue:  the scene where the team are awhile, getting out there to pull Cowboy (was it?) away to safety (and too late);  the scene where the Harfords get high and have an "are we arguing?" kind of conversation between two people getting high;  even the duologue in the washroom between Jack and Grady.  Heck, the opening refueling footage in Dr Strangelove.  But I feel very much that this just-shy-taffy-pulling scale for these scenes is one of his trademark successes.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2017, 09:57:40 AM »
I know how you feel. Yle Teema's coming (and gone) movies are easily seen here, though.
Bergman's Autumn Sonata was shown last Saturday, and tonight you can watch Kubrick's 'The Killing'.
Later this year there are movies by Zvjagintsev (Leviathan), Kubrick (Patsh of Glory, Dr. Strangelove, 2001: A Space Odyssey), Ford (The Searchers), Vidor (Gilda), Lang (Dr Mabuse, M), Tati, Lumet (Serpico), Fassbiner (The Marriage of Maria Braun), Melville (Le samourai), Eisenstein (October), Dardennes, (Deux jours une nuit), de Sica (La ciociara), Antonioni (L'avventura), Fellini (8½), Pasolini (Il vangelo secondo Matteo), McQueen (12 Years a Slave), Almodovar (Julieta), and others...
Thanks! Will watch the Kubrick, althou I don't like everything Kubrick that much (2001, Shining and Eyes Wide Shut are my favorites by him).

0:)

My Sound Cloud page

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2017, 10:17:07 AM »
71 dB, who are some great Finnish directors? Aside from this guy!

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2017, 10:32:25 AM »
A few names: Renny Harlin, Matti Kassila, Aki & Mika Kaurismäki, Edvin Laine, Aarne Tarkas.

My photographs on Flickr

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2017, 11:32:55 AM »
Kubrick's The Killing was ok, but nothing special.

I don't think there are great Finnish directors.  ;D Renny Harlin went the same school (not the same time, he is older I am). 

My Sound Cloud page

Offline Archaic Torso of Apollo

• Veteran member
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2017, 01:16:02 PM »
A few names: Renny Harlin, Matti Kassila, Aki & Mika Kaurismäki, Edvin Laine, Aarne Tarkas.

I've seen several of Aki Kaurismäki's movies (specifically Ariel, Leningrad Cowboys Go America, The Man without a Past, and Vie de Boheme). I liked or loved all of them.

I don't think he's a great director (and who cares, really?). But he's an enjoyable, quirky director who does things his own way, similar to his friend Jim Jarmusch.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2017, 01:20:17 PM »
I've seen several of Aki Kaurismäki's movies (specifically Ariel, Leningrad Cowboys Go America, The Man without a Past, and Vie de Boheme). I liked or loved all of them.

I don't think he's a great director (and who cares, really?). But he's an enjoyable, quirky director who does things his own way, similar to his friend Jim Jarmusch.
Yeah, I don't think there is a truly 'great' Finnish director. Or they're all busy directing orchestras..
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 01:21:53 PM by North Star »

My photographs on Flickr

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2017, 03:51:48 PM »
Sion Sono - Love Exposure

I love that film!  :-*

Also, cheers for including Gilliam  8)

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2017, 04:01:30 PM »
Anyone here like Harmony Korine's films?  ;D

Gummo, Julien Donkey-Boy and Spring Breakers are unsettling films you'll never forget, actually it's impossible to forget a korine film when you've seen it  :laugh:

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2017, 06:27:24 AM »
Kubrick's The Killing was ok, but nothing special.

That is probably fair, on the whole.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2017, 08:42:37 AM »
Anyone here like Harmony Korine's films?  ;D

Gummo, Julien Donkey-Boy and Spring Breakers are unsettling films you'll never forget, actually it's impossible to forget a korine film when you've seen it  :laugh:
One of my favorite film critics, Mike D'Angelo, went to film school with Harmony Korine and once said (in the comments here):
"I don't really have any good Harmony stories, sorry. We didn't hang out or anything. He was just the kid in my screenwriting class who would show up with pages that began "IRIS IN: On the anus of a goat." Same attention-getting, pseudo-provocative nonsense he's still doing today."

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2017, 10:30:50 AM »
Well I have no goat-anus guys on my list. Mine is pretty conventional, and I would say someone cannot be a favorite on the basis of one or two movies, it takes more.

Lubitsch
Sturges
Hitchcock
Kurosawa
Hawks
Wilder
Huston
Coppola *

* with qualms

Like Brian's list: mostly guys with their hands on the script, what the Cahiers (mistakenly) called the auteurs.

(I think conventional wisdom a few decades ago was Hitch, Kurosawa, Bergman, Lubitsch, Ford.)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 10:32:43 AM by Ken B »
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK