Author Topic: Early choral music box sets  (Read 1017 times)

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
Early choral music box sets
« on: September 29, 2017, 08:02:39 PM »
I was surprised in looking at my collection how little of this music (pre-Bach) I actually have, even though I enjoy it a great deal. I have a number of disks of Gregorian chant, Leonin, Perotin, Monteverdi, Gesualdo, Palestrina, Tallis, et al., However, my collection is tilted toward keyboard, chamber, and my collection of early choral music is quite riddled with holes.

I mean to fill these holes with your help! I greatly enjoy box (boxed?) sets because of their low price per disk, and the variety of things that are invariably new to me. I think the sweet spot for a box set is around 10-12 disks. I am going to buy the 107 CD Furtwängler set, but certainly many disks will never get a listen. I have barely finished the Great Russian Pianists 25 CD set I got five years ago!

Anyway, this is a huge body of work obviously. Please recommend anything and everything from this period (chant to Buxtehude)--box sets of any size, and even single disks you think are must-haves (although I think there are already many threads for that).

« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 08:05:35 PM by XB-70 Valkyrie »
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Offline GioCar

Re: Early choral music box sets
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 09:51:19 PM »
Some time ago I was looking to something similar and, thanks to someone here in GMG (I don't remember who, sorry) I bought myself this amazing box set

which I heartily recommend  :)

Online North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 05:21:00 AM »
Some time ago I was looking to something similar and, thanks to someone here in GMG (I don't remember who, sorry) I bought myself this amazing box set

which I heartily recommend  :)
That might have been me. Incidentally, I second that recommendation. 0:)

And this set ought to be good too, somehow never got around to it. details on Outhere's site

You should also get this before it goes OOP like the same group's Monteverdi box..

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 07:10:49 AM »
I was surprised in looking at my collection how little of this music (pre-Bach) I actually have, even though I enjoy it a great deal. I have a number of disks of Gregorian chant, Leonin, Perotin, Monteverdi, Gesualdo, Palestrina, Tallis, et al., However, my collection is tilted toward keyboard, chamber, and my collection of early choral music is quite riddled with holes.

I mean to fill these holes with your help! I greatly enjoy box (boxed?) sets because of their low price per disk, and the variety of things that are invariably new to me. I think the sweet spot for a box set is around 10-12 disks. I am going to buy the 107 CD Furtwängler set, but certainly many disks will never get a listen. I have barely finished the Great Russian Pianists 25 CD set I got five years ago!

Anyway, this is a huge body of work obviously. Please recommend anything and everything from this period (chant to Buxtehude)--box sets of any size, and even single disks you think are must-haves (although I think there are already many threads for that).

Think about the Oiseau Lyre Medieval and Renaissance box. You'll end up with a lot of music sung by the Davies Brothers and directed by Rooley, but they were good. Also the Laudantes Consort released a big thing called The Golden Age of European Polyphony. I've only dipped into it but the few things I've heard have been listenable. Brilliant Classics released a box of Renaissance Choral music sung at New College Oxford, I haven't heard it but a friend of mine likes it.

There's a couple of Hilliard ensemble boxes of about half a dozen CDs each you may want to think about. Also the Clerks Group's Ockeghem was collected into a little box. And The Clerkes of Oxenford released a box of Tudor Church Music.  All of these are excellent.  The women's group La Reverdie also released a box of about half a dozen CDs, I've not heard all of them but what I have heard is very good.

I very much like Longhini's Gesualdo on Naxos, which was collected into a big box very cheap. The Monteverdi you have to buy separately. Alessandrini boxed up about half a dozen Monteverdi madrigal CDs though -- and I'm fond of Raymond  Leppard's set which comes in a box.

Sei Voci collected the Josquin masses into a box, they're cheap and easy to obtain.

If you can tolerate old fashioned performing style there was an enormous box released by The Bach Guild , The Big Choral Renaissance Box.

With voice one man's meat is another man's poison and you have to find what you like. And with early music the approach differs dramatically.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 07:40:30 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline DaveF

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 12:36:26 PM »
Some much-played boxes in my collection are:

Sei Voci collected the Josquin masses into a box, they're cheap and easy to obtain.

Mandryka, do you know of a cheap source for this one?  When it was in print, it retailed for around £20, but now seems to have become OOP and scarce.
"Just because I like something, it doesn't mean it's any good."

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 10:10:04 PM »
No, I just assumed that the cheap box was still around.

Offline DaveF

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 01:26:48 AM »
No, I just assumed that the cheap box was still around.

:( I was hoping an authority such as yourself would know something I didn't.  Individual discs are still available, but certainly not at bargain price.  Best option for Western Europeans is downloads from Qobuz at about £8 per disc.

Back to the original question (sort of): there are also sets which it would be good to have collected into boxes, but which aren't, such at The Cardinalls Musick's Byrd and Erik van Nevel's De Vlaamse Polyfonie.  And prize for most annoying box goes to:

which includes the Masses from the original separate 5-disc complete works, plus a newly-attributed motet (Anima Christi) which wasn't on the original discs.  Dig deep, Fayrfax completists.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 01:43:49 AM »
:( I was hoping an authority such as yourself would know something I didn't.  Individual discs are still available, but certainly not at bargain price.  Best option for Western Europeans is downloads from Qobuz at about £8 per disc.

Back to the original question (sort of): there are also sets which it would be good to have collected into boxes, but which aren't, such at The Cardinalls Musick's Byrd and Erik van Nevel's De Vlaamse Polyfonie.  And prize for most annoying box goes to:

which includes the Masses from the original separate 5-disc complete works, plus a newly-attributed motet (Anima Christi) which wasn't on the original discs.  Dig deep, Fayrfax completists.

Here it is for 30 squid.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Josquin-Desprez-Masses/dp/B000J0ZPOC/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1506937371&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=sei+voci+josquin

Offline DaveF

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 12:29:57 PM »
Ha!  Told you I needed an authority.  I went as far as https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/260-2611706-2190352?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sei+voci+josquin, where it reads "Currently unavailable".  Strange blip on a site that exists to sell me things.  I may well buy it... although Valkyrie should get the first chance.

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
  • Currently Listening to:
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 12:39:21 PM »
À chacun son goût.

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 01:45:38 AM »
I've enjoyed this Victoria box tremendously:

Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 01:55:09 AM »
I would have recommended the "A Secret Labyrinth " box set by Van Nevel and the Huelgas Ensemble:

A tremendous introduction in Earl Music, with some emphasis on the Early Franco-Flemish School.

Sadly, it went OOP in just over a year's time....

If by some miracle you come accross it for less than an insane price, be sure to snatch it up!

Q
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 02:01:54 AM by Que »
À chacun son goût.

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 02:02:54 AM »
After reading Que's post, it occurred to me that the OP might be in the US. If so, a lot of Hyperion discs can be found at Berkshire at a pretty good price. There aren't so many box sets perhaps, but at $7/disc for Hyperion (or less if the budget label), you can assemble an interesting line up of early choral works. Just a thought...
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Offline Omicron9

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 06:55:08 AM »
When I saw the thread title, I immediately thought of this.  A box of magic and wonder.

I would have recommended the "A Secret Labyrinth " box set by Van Nevel and the Huelgas Ensemble:

A tremendous introduction in Earl Music, with some emphasis on the Early Franco-Flemish School.

Sadly, it went OOP in just over a year's time....

If by some miracle you come accross it for less than an insane price, be sure to snatch it up!

Q
"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2017, 04:19:47 PM »
Is it worth $350? Anyone know of any other sources? Are any of these available on individual disks or high-res downloads? Thanks!

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2017, 10:42:06 PM »
Is it worth $350? Anyone know of any other sources? Are any of these available on individual disks or high-res downloads? Thanks!
You could always pick up some of the individual discs. This is a good one to try out (and not expensive with cool cover):

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 11:29:28 PM »

Q

How can it be a "tremendous introduction" when it contains no Josquin, no Ockeghem, no Dufay?

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 11:35:03 PM by Mandryka »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2017, 11:30:18 PM »
Is it worth $350?

No.

It's a lot of Nevel and his style may not always be your cup of tea.  In early music I'm convinced it's best to become acquainted with different approaches and not make a big investment in one, because more than in later music, the interpretations can differ radically, there's no  consensus about fundamental areas of interpretation. Try before you buy, I'd say, use a streaming service.

I also think that the names in my post above, Josquin, Ockeghem and Dufay, are the best place to start. Not Piplare or Manchicourt or Rebelo or Vilancicos or Mateo Flecha el Viejo.

I also think you're making a mistake limiting yourself to big boxes, and not downloading.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 01:21:18 AM by Mandryka »

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2017, 10:33:19 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations. The single disk on Sony looks good--added to wish list.

I am not limiting myself to box sets--the vast majority of my collection comprises individual disks. I do really enjoy box sets, and am buying more of them these days for the reasons I mentioned (you should get the new 10 CD Gioconda de Vito set!).

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2017, 03:01:50 PM »
Is it worth $350?

No. I believe I got it for less than € 50.

Q
À chacun son goût.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK