Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 614 times)

Offline CRC

• USA
Greetings!
« on: October 05, 2017, 01:18:37 AM »
Greetings!

I've been looking for a classical music forum/group with a good amount of traffic and this looks to be one of the best ones out there. I hope this can be a positive learning experience and a good source for new leads on recordings.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 02:20:31 AM by CRC »

Offline Rinaldo

• Veteran member
  • Cara sposa, dove sei?
    • aaraaf.net
Re: Greeting from America!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 02:15:40 AM »
a good source for new leads on recordings.

The best there is. Welcome!

Online mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
Re: Greetings!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 02:21:12 AM »
Welcome! Hope you enjoy the journey!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Online North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 02:58:01 AM »
Greetings!

I've been looking for a classical music forum/group with a good amount of traffic and this looks to be one of the best ones out there. I hope this can be a positive learning experience and a good source for new leads on recordings.
Welcome to GMG!

Tangentially, you may wish to post a list here;)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...mist floating above the lake...
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 05:20:02 AM »
Welcome aboard! Who are some of your favorite composers?
My favorite Debussy and Ravel pianists: Zoltán Kocsis, Alexandre Tharaud, Anne Queffélec, and Paul Jacobs

Offline Hollywood

• Living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt.
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 06:14:04 AM »
Hi CRC. Greetings from Vienna, Austria. Welcome to the forum.  8)
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 06:29:26 AM »
Greetings!

WE'RE NUMBER ONE!  WE'RE NUMBER ONE!

Yes, from what I have seen throughout the years (I think I have been here over 10 years!), we have a truly international group with highly diverse tastes (some might even be considered "eccentric,"  8) ??? ;)  (no names!  0:)  )).

Jump right in and let us know "whassup" musically!
COWBOY (sitting down to a poker game for the first time): "Is this a game of chance?!"

- W. C. FIELDS  (as Cuthbert Twillie): "Uhh, not the way I play it, no." in  My Little Chickadee.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 08:02:30 AM »
Welcome aboard and enjoy your time.  :)
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline CRC

• USA
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 09:44:05 PM »
Welcome aboard! Who are some of your favorite composers?
My tastes are eclectic and I will give anything a try within the various genres of classical. There is too much to list here, so I will stick with the better known ones. Bach is my all time favorite composer, followed by some of the other big guns, Mozart, Beethoven, Handel, Vivaldi, etc.

I love the Baroque era. I particularly love French music and French artists from all periods. I like British music. I like choral music from all periods. I like some Opera, the Italian variety being my least favorite which is ironic since they are the ones who invented it although I do like Rossini and some Verdi.

As far as the early classical/Romantic era goes, I love Schubert. I love Tchaikovsky. I have a love/hate relationship with Brahms. Some of his music is astoundingly beautiful and some of it bores me to tears. He is the least consistent out of all the major composers for sure.

I don't appreciate the big, bloated late Romantic/20th Century works by Bruckner/Mahler as much as so many others do but I am trying. I don't dislike them but as of this writing nothing I've heard by these two so far would make my desert island list.

On the 20th century side my favorites are Sibelius, Shostakovitch and Honegger, who I am liking more and more each time I hear them.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 11:33:06 PM by CRC »

Offline kyjo

• Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 09:58:44 PM »
Welcome aboard! It's particularly great to hear that you like Sibelius, Shostakovich, and Honegger - three of my favorites as well :)

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 10:13:36 PM »
My tastes are eclectic and I will give anything a try within the various genres of classical. There is too much to list here, so I will stick with the better known ones. Bach is my all time favorite composer, followed by some of the other big guns, Mozart, Beethoven, Handel, Vivaldi, etc.

I love the Baroque era. I particularly love French music and French artists from all periods. I like British music. I like choral music from all periods. I like some Opera, the Italian variety being my least favorite which is ironic since they are the ones who invented it although I do like Rossini and some Verdi.

As far as the early classical/Romantic era goes, I love Schubert. I love Tchaikovsky. I have a love/hate relationship with Brahms. I love some of his music while some of it bores me to tears, the least consistent out of all the major composers for sure.

I don't appreciate the big, bloated late Romantic/20th Century works by Bruckner/Mahler as much as so many others do but I am trying. I don't dislike them but as of this writing nothing by these two would make my desert island list.

On the 20th century side my favorites are Sibelius, Shostakovitch and Honegger, who I am liking more and more as I hear him.

I think we' re going to get along just fine.... :D 

Welcome!  :)

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline zamyrabyrd

• Veteran member
  • selig sind
Re: Greeting from America!
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 10:48:44 PM »
The best there is. Welcome!

One big happy extended family, ha, ha!
Welcome to the clan!
"I write to discover what I know."
 ― Flannery O'Connor

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
    ...mist floating above the lake...
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 08:59:07 PM »

As far as the early classical/Romantic era goes, I love Schubert. I love Tchaikovsky. I have a love/hate relationship with Brahms. Some of his music is astoundingly beautiful and some of it bores me to tears. He is the least consistent out of all the major composers for sure.

I don't appreciate the big, bloated late Romantic/20th Century works by Bruckner/Mahler as much as so many others do but I am trying. I don't dislike them but as of this writing nothing I've heard by these two so far would make my desert island list.

On the 20th century side my favorites are Sibelius, Shostakovitch and Honegger, who I am liking more and more each time I hear them.

My apologies for the late reply, CRC. :-\ Some remarkable composers you’ve listed there. I think, in time, you’ll come to appreciate Bruckner and Mahler. But, if you don’t, it’s certainly not the end of the world as there’s so much music available to us just floating around. It took me quite some time to appreciate Beethoven the way many here just simply love him. I’m proud that I hung in there as I think he’s just brilliant now, but, obviously, always was I just didn’t hear it. ;) Looking forward to hearing more from you.
My favorite Debussy and Ravel pianists: Zoltán Kocsis, Alexandre Tharaud, Anne Queffélec, and Paul Jacobs

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 04:50:35 PM »
Hello, CRC, and welcome. With all those different composers, you'll certainly find lots to enjoy here.

--Bruce
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.
     ~ Gustav Mahler

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY