Author Topic: Bridge: Complete cello works  (Read 252 times)

Offline Omicron9

Bridge: Complete cello works
« on: October 05, 2017, 06:42:11 AM »
Greetings.

Searching for the complete cello (chamber) works of Frank Bridge has unearthed only one recording:

Might anyone know of others?  And is it just me, or is that a rather unfortunate album cover design?

TIA,
"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Offline schnittkease

Re: Bridge: Complete cello works
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 02:53:40 PM »
As for the OP, this (early chamber music) is a good disc, though I am not sure of the significance of these works; here is another worth your time.

Bridge's chamber music as a whole is likely too vast to be covered in a single release. I would focus on the string quartets and sonatas.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 12:33:17 AM by Que »
“We were of course very impressed by Cage when we were in Darmstadt, but he has his house and I have mine.” — Henning Christiansen

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
  • Currently Listening to:
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 12:32:00 AM »
I did a search on "bridge cello," and didn't find anything.  My search didn't turn up the Bridge thread to which you refer.  My apologies.

No apologies needed.  :)

I excised the whole off topic discussion.
If this thread attracts little attention, a merger with the main Bridge thread might help. Will keep an eye on it.

Q
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 12:40:26 AM by Que »
À chacun son goût.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 08:37:37 AM »
Greetings.

Searching for the complete cello (chamber) works of Frank Bridge has unearthed only one recording:

Might anyone know of others?  And is it just me, or is that a rather unfortunate album cover design?

TIA,
I like that CD very much. I hadn't thought about the cover being 'unfortunate' but I think I see what you mean.  ???
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Omicron9

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 01:59:53 PM »
No apologies needed.  :)

I excised the whole off topic discussion.
If this thread attracts little attention, a merger with the main Bridge thread might help. Will keep an eye on it.

Q

Thank you, Que; much appreciated. 

Offline Omicron9

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 02:03:28 PM »
As for the OP, this (early chamber music) is a good disc, though I am not sure of the significance of these works; here is another worth your time.

Bridge's chamber music as a whole is likely too vast to be covered in a single release. I would focus on the string quartets and sonatas.

Thanks; I appreciate that.  I do have some of his other works, but had been listening to one of the cello pieces on YT, and it made me want to investigate his cello chamber works.  I did order the CD in my original post; looking forward to it and more Bridge chamber works.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK