Author Topic: WB Yeats  (Read 290 times)

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
WB Yeats
« on: October 11, 2017, 05:14:18 PM »
I would like to find a couple good volumes, especially of the poetry. I have a book entitled Essays and Introductions, that has been sitting on my shelf for years, sadly unread. We recently spent three weeks in Ireland on vacation, and this has sparked my interest. (Visiting Yeats country in the north is on our agenda for our next trip). I would also be interested in volumes that have Irish and English versions together (side by side). I am interested in learning some of the language--or at least familiarizing myself with pronunciation and some words and phrases. Turns out I have many generations of ancestors born in Ireland on both mother's and father's side.

Can anyone recommend a good place to start? 
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Offline Archaic Torso of Apollo

• Veteran member
Re: WB Yeats
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 05:48:56 PM »

Can anyone recommend a good place to start?

This Collected Poems, edited by Richard J. Finneran, has served me well over the years. It has very extensive endnotes, which I find helpful:

https://www.amazon.com/Collected-Yeats-Edited-Richard-Finneran/dp/B008411YUW/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1507772740&sr=1-9&keywords=yeats+collected+poems
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 12:55:58 AM »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Online North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 01:03:41 AM »
Velimir's recommendation seems like a good one. I have the Vintage, and that has served me well. Based on other volumes on Norton & Oxford World's Classics, those should be worth looking into, too.

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Archaic Torso of Apollo

• Veteran member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 10:45:20 AM »
I would also be interested in volumes that have Irish and English versions together (side by side).

To the best of my knowledge, Yeats never wrote anything in Irish. I am unaware of such a volume, although I suppose some enterprising translator may have done one.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 11:40:22 AM »
Thanks folks. I wasn't sure whether he wrote anything in Irish or not. I am not much of a believer in translated poetry in any case, but any excuse to immerse myself in the language is welcome. . .

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 11:45:55 AM »
Have any of you read anything by the Blasket Island authors? Tomás Ó Criomhthain or Peig Sayers? We picked up one of Ó Criomhthain's books while we were there, but I have not read it yet.

If you are ever in Ireland (or even if you're not  :laugh: ), I will say that the Great Blasket Centre is one of the BEST museums of any kind I have ever visited, and is situated in a stunning landscape beside the sea.  http://blasket.ie/en/
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 11:49:09 AM by XB-70 Valkyrie »

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 03:53:27 AM »
This is my version of Yeats' collected Poems....

Also, to the best of my knowledge Yeats did not write in the Irish language.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 03:59:05 AM »
Have any of you read anything by the Blasket Island authors? Tomás Ó Criomhthain or Peig Sayers? We picked up one of Ó Criomhthain's books while we were there, but I have not read it yet.

If you are ever in Ireland (or even if you're not  :laugh: ), I will say that the Great Blasket Centre is one of the BEST museums of any kind I have ever visited, and is situated in a stunning landscape beside the sea.  http://blasket.ie/en/

I have read Peig Sayers but only in the native Irish language version. Certainly, it is a wonderful description of a hard and bleak life that those hardy souls endured living in a harsh landscape and environment.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK