Author Topic: Unnecessary titles for symphonies  (Read 2356 times)

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
Re: Unnecessary titles for symphonies
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2017, 10:20:55 PM »
Gorecki's much anticipated sequel to his third symphony, a song cycle called:

"Song(s) of Sorrowful Symphonies"

:laugh:

Earthed

« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2017, 10:44:50 PM »
I find nick-names useful as they are easier for me to remember than Opus or work number.
Sometimes a nick can tell you a bit about the character or programme of the work too (e.g: Mahler's "Tragic", Bruckner's "Romantic", etc..).
I "collect" nick's to some extent and include them in the information part of my Digital Library.
I don't mind if the nick is an "official" one bestowed by the Composer or just something someone else added along the way (e.g: Mozart's "Elvira Madigan" Piano Concerto).

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872 - 1958)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The lark ascending into the horizon
« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2017, 06:55:20 AM »
I find nick-names useful as they are easier for me to remember than Opus or work number.
Sometimes a nick can tell you a bit about the character or programme of the work too (e.g: Mahler's "Tragic", Bruckner's "Romantic", etc..).
I "collect" nick's to some extent and include them in the information part of my Digital Library.
I don't mind if the nick is an "official" one bestowed by the Composer or just something someone else added along the way (e.g: Mozart's "Elvira Madigan" Piano Concerto).

My only beef with symphony nicknames is that, while they may help identifying the symphony in terms of organizing them, they do not help me in any other way with the music. They certainly do not help me with understanding the piece better since, in most cases, the music doesnít have some kind of program, unless a true title is given and is explicitly of a programmatic character of course and even then itís not always a guarantee that Iíll associate the program with it.
"In the next world, I shan't be doing music, with all the striving and disappointments. I shall be being it.Ē - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Offline BasilValentine

« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2017, 09:18:08 AM »
I didn't bring it up in this thread.  San Antonio did.  I didn't bring it up in that other thread, either.  Others did.  You brought it up in the Now Listening thread, of all things.

I wouldn't say that responding to others' jabs is obsession.

Yes! I was just about to call shenanigans on Scarpia and San Antonio! They're sticking pins in you and complaining when you say ouch.

For me, all composer authorized titles in, all others out ó unless you are one of those people who insists on identifying Beethoven piano sonatas by number without key or opus number, in which case, give me the damned nickname so I know what you are talking about.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 09:20:20 AM by BasilValentine »

Parsifal

« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2017, 09:19:46 AM »
Yes! I was just about to call shenanigans on Scarpia and San Antonio! They're sticking pins in you and complaining when you say ouch.

Fair enough, time to lay off the a-word.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK