Author Topic: Mozart: Piano Sonatas: Your preference and why?  (Read 1961 times)

Offline Omicron9

Mozart: Piano Sonatas: Your preference and why?
« on: October 30, 2017, 03:08:08 AM »
Greetings.

I did a search for this topic, but couldn't find anything.  What is your preference for Mozart piano sonatas (complete box set)?  And why?  I need to acquire this, but not sure which is the preferred version.  I'm leaning toward Schiff/Decca and Uchida/Philips.

Thoughts?

TIA,
"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
Re: Mozart: Piano Sonatas: Your preference and why?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 03:19:55 AM »
The search engine here can be a bit tricky. There was a thread (quite long) here: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,3507.0.html.

it's long, so that means there are probably conflicting recommendations. Still, should be fun! Personally, I have Wurtz and never felt the need to acquire more (it's good and I don't listen to these so often, plus I've been able to hear a few of the others in the meantime anyway), but there are multiple versions out there that are quite good.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 03:22:32 AM by mc ukrneal »
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 03:30:25 AM »
I love these pieces. Some of my favourite recordings of Mozart piano sonatas have been made by Robert Levin but unfortunately I don't think his has been released as a box set. So this is what I would go for instead:

A crisp liveliness and extremely characterful sound and musicality makes for a very complementary relationship between the musician and the instrument.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 04:59:24 AM »
Greetings.

I did a search for this topic, but couldn't find anything.  What is your preference for Mozart piano sonatas (complete box set)?  And why?  I need to acquire this, but not sure which is the preferred version.  I'm leaning toward Schiff/Decca and Uchida/Philips.

Thoughts?

TIA,

What you should do is this. Buy Siegbert Rampe's Mozart on MDG.  listen to it a few times, and then report back here about what it's like, whether there's a good ROI etc.

Then do the same for Colin Tilney's.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 05:30:55 AM »
Lili Kraus (Erato or Music & Arts; not Sony) (no K533/494) recorded the best available set imo due to quality of piano touch and sensitivity to Mozart's idiom, along with Jos van Immerseel's 2CD set of the piano works from 1782-1789 on Sony/Vivarte, for similar reasons. Also worth considering: Kristian Bezuidenhout, Paul Badura-Skoda (Naďve/Astrée), the single Robert Levin disc, Claudio Arrau's Mozart recital from Tanglewood (M&A). Avoid: almost all modern-instrument performers, Arthur Schoonderwoerd (interesting instruments played badly), Ludwig Sémerjian (extremely mannered to the point of being annoying).

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 05:35:45 AM »
Avoid: almost all modern-instrument performers
Nonsense. Absolute nonsense.
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 05:46:55 AM »
Ok, I haven't heard all modern-instrument performers. That should probably read "avoid: Brendel, Uchida, Pires (DG), Schiff (Decca—L'Oiseau-Lyre is ok), Gould, Eschenbach, Haefliger, Horowitz, Ashkenazy, Kocsis, Larrocha, Youn & Barenboim".... other modern instrument recordings might be ok >.>

I remember Dezsö Ranki being decent actually, but he didn't come to mind as a favourite when I was writing the post.

Offline Omicron9

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 05:50:41 AM »

Agreed; my fault, as I should have specified non-PF versions, and non-historic recordings. 

"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 06:00:33 AM »
Ok, I haven't heard all modern-instrument performers. That should probably read "avoid: Brendel, Uchida, Pires (DG), Schiff (Decca—L'Oiseau-Lyre is ok), Gould, Eschenbach, Haefliger, Horowitz, Ashkenazy, Kocsis, Larrocha, Youn & Barenboim"....

Nonsense on stilts. :) Uchida, Eschenbach, de Larrocha are splendid. And Pires (Denon) is a marvel.
Les sanglots longs
Des violons
De l'automne
Blessent mon coeur
D'une langueur
Monotone.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 06:01:31 AM »
Of the roughly three dozen sets I've listened to, the below are my preferred cycles.  I've heard two HIP sets and strongly dislike them.  One day I hope to get a proper HIP set (probably PBS).

Michael Endres - near perfect sound, perfect execution, classical, detailed

Lili Kraus (Erato) - as above, in fully acceptable mono sound

Maria Joao Pires (Denon) - more individual but not as fraught or overly dramatic as the DG cycle

Walter Klien - straight-forward classical playing in less than ideal sound

Fazil Say - romantically idiosyncratic but compelling, vibrant, and in beautiful sound

Siegfried Mauser - modern-classical hybrid idiosyncratic in good sound
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 06:11:16 AM »
Ok yeah: if you demand steinway pianos in digital sound I would go with Pires (Denon) or Say, both of which are new to me, but acquitted themselves well in my benchmark sonata K576. Not down w/Endres or Mauser at the moment, and Uchida & Eschenbach are... unlikely to become my thing in the future, but Larrocha's probably due a revisit since I've been enjoying her concertos. Klien has never recorded a bad note so I'm sure his is fine.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 06:12:51 AM by amw »

Offline Turner

• Veteran member
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 06:13:19 AM »
As regards complete sets, I have the overall quite reliable Klien and Wurtz ones, but Say is currently on sale at Presto Classical and I am considering that for something more colourful.
No HIP for me 😄. But also a good deal of individual recordings.

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 08:24:01 AM »
Uchida, because her phrasing is so beautiful and emotionally satisfying
Barenboim, because he plays as though it were Beethoven
Pires (DG), because it's fraught or overly dramatic
Gould, because nobody else plays the music like this  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 08:34:23 AM »
I love these pieces. Some of my favourite recordings of Mozart piano sonatas have been made by Robert Levin but unfortunately I don't think his has been released as a box set. So this is what I would go for instead:

A crisp liveliness and extremely characterful sound and musicality makes for a very complementary relationship between the musician and the instrument.

I don't know if it is currently available, but there was also a bigger bargain box which also contained the complete variations for piano. I don't think the variations are necessarily essential, but the second box contains some of Mozart's most exquisite music for solo piano, the gigue and the adagio in b-minor. 

Offline San Antonio

• Veteran member
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 08:48:34 AM »
A long time ago I purchased the Christoph Eschenbach box set (on LP) and really liked it, wore it out actually; but had nothing to compare it to.  Since then, I've heard most of the PI sets but no longer enjoy period keyboards. 

So, I agree with the Kraus, Pires and Uchida recs - and still enjoy the Christoph Eschenbach set, now on CD.

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Our DJ's Better Than All These Bands
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 09:09:13 AM »
Lili Kraus (Erato or Music & Arts; not Sony) (no K533/494) recorded the best available set imo due to quality of piano touch and sensitivity to Mozart's idiom

Seconded! Though I don't find the SONY to be very far behind the Erato, which has better sound than the Music and Arts.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 05:19:54 PM »

I think it would be nonsense for a modern instrument performer to perform on an historical instrument if it is not their speciality.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 10:03:59 PM »
I think it would be nonsense for a modern instrument performer to perform on an historical instrument if it is not their speciality.

Any examples?
Les sanglots longs
Des violons
De l'automne
Blessent mon coeur
D'une langueur
Monotone.

Offline GioCar

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 11:14:24 PM »
Any examples?

Well, not in Mozart, but the first that pops into my mind is András Schiff with the Diabellis. However in that case he played both instruments magnificently imo.

I have four sets: Pires (Denon), Gould, Brautigam and Say, acquired in that order. I like all of them but undoubtely the recent acquisition of the Say has been one of best purchases in recent years, in spite of his continuous humming and groaning (this is shared you know by whom  :D)

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2017, 01:07:41 AM »
Well, not in Mozart, but the first that pops into my mind is András Schiff with the Diabellis. However in that case he played both instruments magnificently imo.

It's him I had in mind as well. He also recorded a splendid Schubert disc on a 1820 Conrad Graff.

undoubtely the recent acquisition of the Say has been one of best purchases in recent years, in spite of his continuous humming and groaning (this is shared you know by whom  :D)

;D

You second Todd on this, so on to the wishlist it goes.
Les sanglots longs
Des violons
De l'automne
Blessent mon coeur
D'une langueur
Monotone.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK