Author Topic: Mozart: Piano Sonatas: Your preference and why?  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Omicron9

Re: Mozart: Piano Sonatas: Your preference and why?
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2017, 03:13:51 AM »
No comments on Schiff/Decca.  I'm mildly surprised.
"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2017, 05:29:58 AM »
Well, not in Mozart, but the first that pops into my mind is András Schiff with the Diabellis. However in that case he played both instruments magnificently imo.

Andras Schiff recorded one Mozart disc on fortepiano for Decca.

PBS has recorded Mozart on both period and modern pianos

Other examples of artists who play both types of instruments.  Ronald Brautigam started off playing and recording on modern grands.  Ikuyo Nakamichi has started performing and recording on period pianos as well as modern.  Andrea Lucchesini performs on period as well as modern.  There are others, as well, but these popped into my head.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline betterthanfine

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2017, 06:43:19 AM »
Pires and Argerich performed Beethoven concertos on fortepiano with Frans Brüggen a few years ago, and both of them acquit themselves quite well as far as I'm concerned!

Online Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2017, 08:27:14 AM »
I think it would be nonsense for a modern instrument performer to perform on an historical instrument if it is not their speciality.

I wouldn't expect a pianist could simply sit down in front of a fortepiano and perform, but I don't see why the same artist couldn't choose perform on both types of instrument.

Online Turner

• Veteran member
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2017, 08:56:37 AM »
Lubimov does both, but some slight research didn't reveal Mozart modern solo piano from him too - but maybe there are some early Melodiya recordings or the like.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2017, 09:28:31 AM »
Back on topic, I'm quite fond of the super-complete Ingrid Haebler set.

Besides the sonatas, it contains all the other solo piano works (including juvenilia) plus the complete works for 4-hands or two pianos.

Haebler's playing is poised and poetic.
Les sanglots longs
Des violons
De l'automne
Blessent mon coeur
D'une langueur
Monotone.

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Our DJ's Better Than All These Bands
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2017, 10:01:48 AM »

Besides the sonatas, it contains all the other solo piano works (including juvenilia) plus the complete works for 4-hands or two pianos.

$249 at amazon!  :o

https://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Piano-Complete-Wolfgang-Amadeus/dp/B0000041MY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1509472865&sr=8-2&keywords=mozart+haebler&dpID=21VE4TDV9JL&preST=_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline Toccata&Fugue

• Veteran member
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2017, 10:26:24 AM »
I like Arrau's recordings for his beautiful tone, phrasing, and the sense of gravitas that he brings to them. I've seen individual releases on LP, but did Philips ever release them as a box set on vinyl?
"Muß es sein?"
"Es muß sein!"

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Our DJ's Better Than All These Bands
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2017, 10:39:23 AM »
Sold! ;D

I knew I should have bought it before I posted the link!  >:(  >:(  >:(

;)
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2017, 10:53:33 AM »

Andras Schiff recorded one Mozart disc on fortepiano for Decca.

PBS has recorded Mozart on both period and modern pianos

Other examples of artists who play both types of instruments.  Ronald Brautigam started off playing and recording on modern grands.  Ikuyo Nakamichi has started performing and recording on period pianos as well as modern.  Andrea Lucchesini performs on period as well as modern.  There are others, as well, but these popped into my head.

Schiff recorded several chamber works on fortepiano.
I have Schiff, Uchida, and Kraus II on modern, none of which I like more than the others, and Van Oort on PI, which I like best of all.

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2017, 11:30:00 AM »
I knew I should have bought it before I posted the link!  >:(  >:(  >:(

;)

;D

On topic: I love Mozart, but his piano sonatas do not interest me as much as, f.i. his piano concertos, or string quartets/quintets, or opera's.
I should listen to more fortepiano stuff, I guess, because I only know Bart van Oort, whose cycle I like btw.
Other favourites are Pires (Denon/Brilliant preferably), Zacharias (EMI) and Engel (Teldec).
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline San Antonio

• Veteran member
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2017, 11:36:14 AM »
;D

On topic: I love Mozart, but his piano sonatas do not interest me as much as, f.i. his piano concertos, or string quartets/quintets, or opera's.
I should listen to more fortepiano stuff, I guess, because I only know Bart van Oort, whose cycle I like btw.
Other favourites are Pires (Denon/Brilliant preferably), Zacharias (EMI) and Engel (Teldec).

I would agree with you.  I find myself hardly listening to his piano sonatas, especially in comparison to the amount of time I devote to Beethoven's.  But Mozart's chamber music is what I go back to again and again.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2017, 11:37:39 AM »

$249 at amazon!  :o

https://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Piano-Complete-Wolfgang-Amadeus/dp/B0000041MY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1509472865&sr=8-2&keywords=mozart+haebler&dpID=21VE4TDV9JL&preST=_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I bought that box 15 years ago, I have always liked it better than any other modern piano performance. She can play that keyboard without any of the after-ringing that I dislike in Classic Era keyboards. I saw above that Todd was talking about performers who play fortepiano and modern piano.  Haebler belongs on that list, maybe right at the beginning of it along with Jörg Demus, who also does a fine Mozart. IIRC, that Haebler box has 9 disks (it includes variations and little pieces) and I paid $30 for it brand new. If it is $249 now, someone is making out great!

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline Monsieur Croche

• Veteran member
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2017, 11:47:07 AM »
Seconded! Though I don't find the SONY to be very far behind the Erato, which has better sound than the Music and Arts.

This, if you are a collector, is one of those Archival staples / must-haves before you go acquiring other sets.
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2017, 11:52:16 AM »
I bought that box 15 years ago, I have always liked it better than any other modern piano performance. She can play that keyboard without any of the after-ringing that I dislike in Classic Era keyboards. I saw above that Todd was talking about performers who play fortepiano and modern piano.  Haebler belongs on that list, maybe right at the beginning of it along with Jörg Demus, who also does a fine Mozart. IIRC, that Haebler box has 9 disks (it includes variations and little pieces) and I paid $30 for it brand new. If it is $249 now, someone is making out great!

8)

FLAC download is €116,71 here:

https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/7931557--mozart-complete-works-for-piano

Offline San Antonio

• Veteran member
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2017, 11:58:47 AM »
What do you guys think of Siegbert Rampe playing Mozart on a variety of period keyboards?

Offline Holden

• Veteran member
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2017, 12:02:48 PM »
Apart from some excellent performances of individual sonatas I was ho hum about the Mozart until I heard the set by Klara Wurtz. She takes them out of the drawing room and into the street so to speak. These are bold and in your face performances and many people don't like that with Mozart - I do!

Having now gained some familiarity with the works I then looked for a complementary set. What I eventually came up with is the Kraus mono which have already been mentioned. A lot of pianists don't seem to be able to draw much of the drama from these works. Kraus certainly does. Her Sony set, while not quite up to the M&A, is still head and shoulders above most of the rest of the competition.
Cheers

Holden

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2017, 12:09:32 PM »
What do you guys think of Siegbert Rampe playing Mozart on a variety of period keyboards?

Mandryka did mention him.
I know Rampe as an interesting musician, so... it could be good.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2017, 12:11:18 PM »
FLAC download is €116,71 here:

https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/7931557--mozart-complete-works-for-piano

Those prices are ludicrous! I mean, it's a great box and I quite enjoy it, but that is over the top, especially for downloads! ::)

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK