Author Topic: Villa-Lobos Anyone?  (Read 33773 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Rued Langgaard (1893 - 1952)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Musik fra den himmelske by
Re: Villa-Lobos Anyone?
« Reply #280 on: September 26, 2017, 05:00:53 PM »
Ordered through the link above.  Thanks for pointing that low price out.  I haven't been able to find cheaper anywhere.  And I know cheap!

Hope GMG gets a commission!

8) Awesome! Glad you jumped on this deal. It won’t last forever!
“I really would like to go to Marmorkirken. It was there that I heard music for the first time, and that experience is like a heavenly vision for me.” - Rued Langgaard

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #281 on: September 26, 2017, 08:30:49 PM »
Working thru the symphony series with the Sao Paulo Symphony on Naxos.  The symphonies are entertaining, by my favorite so far is their recording of Uiraparu, which is the best I've heard.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 08:33:12 PM by Daverz »

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
Re: Villa-Lobos Anyone? YOUR FAV LATER SYMPHONIES?????
« Reply #282 on: November 29, 2017, 05:43:22 PM »
Working thru the symphony series with the Sao Paulo Symphony on Naxos.  The symphonies are entertaining, by my favorite so far is their recording of Uiraparu, which is the best I've heard.

It looks like all the Late Symphonies are out (sorry, getting late to the game). Which are your fav of 7-12?
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Rued Langgaard (1893 - 1952)
    Musik fra den himmelske by
« Reply #283 on: November 29, 2017, 06:33:06 PM »

I’m a hardcore Villa-Lobos fan as my previous posts in this thread will indicate, but I cannot for the life of me out why I don’t enjoy the symphonies more than I do. The 4th, 6th, and 10th are my favorites, but, with the exception of the SQs, I believe he works better in freer forms like the Choros or Bachianas Brasileiras series for example. When you try to ‘cage’ mist, it simply escapes as it can’t be contained. I feel the same way about V-L.
“I really would like to go to Marmorkirken. It was there that I heard music for the first time, and that experience is like a heavenly vision for me.” - Rued Langgaard

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
« Reply #284 on: December 08, 2017, 12:37:07 PM »
I’m a hardcore Villa-Lobos fan as my previous posts in this thread will indicate, but I cannot for the life of me out why I don’t enjoy the symphonies more than I do. The 4th, 6th, and 10th are my favorites, but, with the exception of the SQs, I believe he works better in freer forms like the Choros or Bachianas Brasileiras series for example. When you try to ‘cage’ mist, it simply escapes as it can’t be contained. I feel the same way about V-L.

Well, I listened to about three minutes of the openings of Symphonies 6-12, excluding 10. Yea, not as impressed this time around... No.8 started with the most difference, but I couldn't tell you now what is what. Thankfully, I can skip that RabbitHole fr now.
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh