Author Topic: The Official 2017 GMG Musical Awards Thread  (Read 1503 times)

Online ritter

• Veteran member
  • Set design for Le Tricorne (Pablo Picasso)
Re: The Official 2017 GMG Musical Awards Thread
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 12:52:46 AM »
My purchases in 2017 were mainly of used copies of OOP stuff. As far as 2017 releases (or reissues) are concerned, these are the ones that stand out:

Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Là, tout n'est qu'ordre et beauté,
   Luxe, calme et volupté ».

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 01:25:04 AM »

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 01:43:03 AM »

Has this flown under the radar this year? I can't think of too many releases from THIS year, although I discovered lots of music in 2017. But this one by Lubomov is pretty fresh.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 06:19:05 AM »
Some other new recordings in 2017 which I found stimulating,  again thinking only of early music for now

I can't quite bring myself to add recordings by Jean Rondeau to the palmarès, nor Pierre Hantaï (for his latest Scarlatti - I haven't heard the new recording with Aapo Hakkinen), Tasto Solo, Il Caleidoscopio Ensemble, Markku Luolajan-Mikkola, Rachel Podger (AoF), Phantasm (for Dowland), Catalina Vicens and Alina Rotaru. But I have no confidence in myself about this, I may be wrong to think that what they've done this year is not "top tier" as they say. Hence I list the names, I'll revisit what they did sometime soon and hopefully will be all the better for doing so.

And then there's the major discovery of the year - the Telemann Viola Fantasias. Every recording I have heard of them has been well worth hearing - Robert Smith, Pandolfo, Fritzch, Dunford. All essential.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 07:28:55 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2017, 11:49:35 PM »

A very important Beethoven release, and a wonderfully disorienting one, because it brings out the physicality, the visceral quality, of Beethoven's late sonatas. The way the music is so much about the the extraordinary sounds he has the piano make
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 11:52:46 PM by Mandryka »

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2017, 01:06:04 AM »

A very important Beethoven release, and a wonderfully disorienting one, because it brings out the physicality, the visceral quality, of Beethoven's late sonatas. The way the music is so much about the the extraordinary sounds he has the piano make
How does it compare to Crawford?

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2017, 01:24:04 AM »
Beghin : Crawford :: Pogorelich : Goode

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
  • Currently Listening to:
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2017, 02:23:45 AM »
Every year there is the same confusion: are we discussing new recordings released in the past year or do we include reissues, or are we posting our favourite purchases of the past year?  ::)

Often there are two separate threads....

Q
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 03:35:51 AM by Que »
À chacun son goût.

Online The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2017, 02:40:06 AM »
Every there is the same confusion: are we discussing new recordings released in the past year or do we include reissues, or are we posting our favourite purchases of the past year?  ::)

Often there are two seperate threads....

Q
This one was started by snyprrrr......

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2017, 02:44:47 AM »

;)

I've started a separate thread for all favourite purchases of the year, since this one seems to aimed at new issues.

Your Favourite Purchases of 2017

Q

« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 03:36:07 AM by Que »
À chacun son goût.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2017, 06:28:05 AM »

I'm not a great Haydnist so I can't speak here with any confidence, but for me these recordings revealed a Haydn far more harmonically and contrapuntally interesting than I had anticipated.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2017, 12:10:07 AM »

I think I have heard every recording ever made of the Schoenberg Trio, apart from Arditti (which I can't find) - this has become my favourite for its warmth, expressiveness, coherence and sound quality - they are in my opinion peerless for the transitions between parts and episodes.  I prefer it to the first Juilliard recording I think. I haven't heard the Hindemith on the disc.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 12:13:45 AM by Mandryka »

Offline Josquin13

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2017, 01:09:13 PM »
For the most part, my favorite purchases & discoveries in 2017 were recordings from previous years, as I tend to lag behind.  However, I did enjoy the following new releases of 2017 (or late 2016--since the British rags count them, I will too):

1) My favorite splurge purchase of 2017 has been a remastered hybrid SACD Japanese import box set of conductor Paavo Berglund's early 1970s Sibelius Symphony cycle with the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra (an orchestra that Sibelius conducted).  It's very expensive (as I paid about a $100), but was worth it, as the sound quality has never been better (plus, I'm a Sibelius fanatic!).  Berglund's Bournemouth cycle offers one of my favorite performances of the 2nd Symphony; though I prefer Berglund's final live recordings of the 5th & 7th Symphonies (on hybrid SACD) with the London Philharmonic (which go with me to my desert island):

http://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=12385

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071CDDF2R/?tag=hraudio-20

2.) J.S. Bach: Cantatas BWV 4, 106, 9, 181--Montreal Baroque, conducted by Eric Milnes: My favorite cycle of Bach Cantatas continues!  For me, Eric Milnes is the best Bach conductor today.  First, he consistently chooses the finest singers on the early music scene; secondly, Montreal Baroque is one of the top period bands in the world, and thirdly, the ensemble always sounds well rehearsed by Milnes.  In addition, Atma offers state of art sound engineering.  So what's not to like?  Well, for some the bad news will be that it's an OVPP cycle.  But not for me: I enjoy the contrapuntal clarity & nimbleness of Milnes' approach--especially in Bach's denser fugal passages (such as the mind-blowing fugal opening of BWV 19 from Milnes' earlier 'Michaelmas' Cantatas recording):

3.) My next favorite splurge of 2017 was buying several new (late 2016) Shm Japanese remasters of Charles Dutoit’s Stravinsky, Ravel, and Debussy recordings from his Montreal years (one of the most perceptive Debussy Nocturnes ever recorded, a great Daphnis et Chloe, and an underrated Stravinsky series too, IMO).  I've been waiting years for these recordings to be remastered, and to sound as good as they once did on LP (since the early CDs didn't do full justice to Decca's brilliant sound engineering).  And I was disappointed that Decca was too lazy or cheap to remaster more than just a handful of Dutoit's recordings for their recent "Montreal Years" box set.  So these SHM Japan recordings are especially welcome, and they sound great! (though if interested, be careful to buy the recent Japanese issues, which don't say "digital recording" on the cover, just "Decca"):

*The same Debussy shm recordings above (etc.) are also available in a less costly Decca "Best 50" 2 CD Japanese set (it's an earlier 2014 release):

ETC.

4.) Oxalys performing chamber music by the Belgian composer Joseph Jongen.  I consider Jongen's Concert a cinq, Op. 71 to be a little known chamber masterpiece.  Generally, I prefer Jongen's later French-influenced works to his youthful romanticism.  Prior to Oxalys, the only other recording I knew of his Op. 71 was from Ensemble Arpae on Cypres.  I'd say that Arpae is more atmospheric, while Oxalys is more virtuosic and precise. I slightly prefer Ensemble Arpae.  Though it's good to have two contrasting performances of a work of this high quality.

5.) "Metamorfosi Trecento", from La Fonte Musica & Michele Pasotti.

6.) "Secret History: Music of Josquin & Victoria"--performed by John Potter & members of Trio Mediaeval.  As an avid buyer of virtually all new & old recordings of the music of Josquin Desprez, I have to say it's been a disappointing year for Josquin releases.  This ECM recording is the only new Josquin release I bought in 2017 (& the only one I'm even aware of).  Potter's scaled down, intimate performances won't be for everyone, but I enjoyed hearing such familiar music performed in a more or less chanson style.

7.) Vivaldi Concerti per due Violini--violinists Amandine Beyer & Guiliano Carmignola, with Gli Incogniti (late 2016)

8.) Vivaldi Nuove Sonata--violinist Javier Lupiáñez, with Ensemble Scaramuccia (late 2016)

9.) Murray Perahia playing Schumann solo piano works, etc.: A Sony bargain box set of Perahia's complete Sony-CBS Schumann recordings, all recently remastered.  It was especially nice to hear Perahia's excellent (& perhaps underrated) older CBS recording of Schumann's "Symphonic Etudes" in improved sound, along with his analogue Fantasiestucke and Davidsbundlertänze.

10.) Pianist Rafal Blechacz plays J.S. Bach, DG--a very fine young pianist.

11.) Matteo da Perugia: Chansons, performed by Tetraktys, led by Kees Boeke (late 2016). One of the better recordings I've heard from Tetraktys.

12.) Haydn String Quartets Op. 20, in two issues--quartets 1-3, and 4-6, played by the Chiaroscuro String Quartet. I'm a huge fan of Alina Ibragimova & Chiaroscuro.  If you don't know her playing, these two brilliant performances of Mozart's String Quintet KV 515 (at the Delft Festival) & Piano Concerto KV 414 (performed by Chiaroscuro live) should convert you (yes, Ibragimova goes back & forth between modern and period instruments & ensembles--because she can!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q6UzbeuKNc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU-LiPWusrI

13.) Esa-Pekka Salonen's complete CBS/Sony Stravinsky recordings in a bargain Sony box set.

New 2017 arrival--Oliver Schnyder Trio's box set of the complete Beethoven Piano Trios--so far, so good.  And, I'm waiting for Quatour Mosaïques Late Beethoven SQs to arrive in the mail.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2017, 02:05:17 PM »

A very satisfying set of mazurkas played on a proper piano for Chopin, played with no kitsch monkeying around with the music.

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2017, 08:02:26 PM »
One disc that really stands out in my mind:

This easily surpasses the previous recording of Ben-Haim's Symphony No 2.  A beautiful work, don't miss it.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2017, 01:39:33 PM »

I hear something unique and revealing from Pollini here  - he plays fast but he doesn't sound at all superficial, or glib. On the contrary I hear committed music making.

The sound is like you're not in one of the better seats in the house. But granted that, it's not untruthful.

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2017, 04:52:06 AM »
Presto's interesting shortlist (well, it's rather comprehensive) of recordings from 2017:

Click picture!

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2017, 07:38:37 AM »
;)

I've started a separate thread for all favourite purchases of the year, since this one seems to aimed at new issues.

Your Favourite Purchases of 2017

Q

BUT THE SYMMETRY!!!!!! :'( :'( :'(

ooooh, cruel world...

that should tell ya somethin.... :-* :P :laugh:
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK