Author Topic: Royal Wedding.  (Read 3465 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: Royal Wedding.
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2018, 08:36:16 AM »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Scion7

• Veteran member
  • "A vér az élet."
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2018, 12:16:39 AM »
I prefer the Cromwellian solution for the royals.
Your barricades lie broken ... your enemies lord.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2018, 08:12:03 AM »
So, are you getting excited as the time grows ever nearer? The whole thing, admittedly, does seem to be degenerating into some kind of fiasco.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2018, 08:31:32 AM »

She's taking over.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2018, 08:35:50 AM »
So, are you getting excited as the time grows ever nearer? The whole thing, admittedly, does seem to be degenerating into some kind of fiasco.

A fiasco compared to Charles and Diana? I hope Markle's mentally unbalanced father does manage to walk his daughter down the isle. Where will it be, Westminster Abbey?

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2018, 11:15:38 AM »
So, are you getting excited as the time grows ever nearer?

Oh yeah, I've already lost my night sleep over it...  ;D

Seriously now, I couldn't care less.
"The score is not a bible, and I am never afraid to dare. The music is behind those dots." - Vladimir Horowitz

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2018, 11:43:14 AM »
Nice replies guys - thanks
 :)

I think to avoid echoes of Charles and Diana the wedding is in Windsor. I should know really  ::)

Yes, Windsor Castle.

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2018, 01:22:51 PM »
Can't imagine anything more boring--except maybe the Academy Awards, Superbore, and/or Beyonce and Kayne West worship. The Royals (some of them at least) must be schiting themselves because Megan is 1/4 black or whatever. F-em!

She is certainly very pretty and seems like a nice enough young woman--let's hope she doesn't have an *accident* like Lady Diana.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 01:26:03 PM by XB-70 Valkyrie »
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2018, 01:25:01 PM »
Nice replies guys - thanks
 :)

I think to avoid echoes of Charles and Diana the wedding is in Windsor. I should know really  ::)

Yes, Windsor Castle.

Windsor was named after "Windy Castle" in Peppa Pig, no?

This is what happens to you when you have a toddler.  ::)

Offline Hollywood

• Living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt.
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2018, 10:24:18 PM »
I wish Meghan and cousin Harry all the best on their wedding day. I guess the reason I didn't get an invitation is that Harry and I are not frst or second cousins but 10th cousins.  :(  But it is nice to see that he is marrying a native L.A. Lady, like myself. Congrats cuz!  8)
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

ComposerOfAvantGarde

« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2018, 01:54:03 AM »
Windsor was named after "Windy Castle" in Peppa Pig, no?

This is what happens to you when you have a toddler.  ::)

I...uh.....enjoy watching that show from time to time

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2018, 10:37:17 PM »
So, Prince Harry is to be the Duke of Sussex from today.

Surely I should now be appointed as GMG Forum's Special Royal Correspondent - at a nominal salary of course.

8)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 10:41:37 PM by vandermolen »

Offline Judith

• Currently Listening to:
    Love most composers but especially Brahms & Schumann
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2018, 04:43:30 AM »
What did Camilla have on her head????

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2018, 06:49:40 AM »
I've caught on TV the very moment when they were sworn in as husband and wife, then some glimpses of their carriage tour of Windsor. Nice. Wish them happiness and all the best --- just as I wish each and every just married couple.

Still, I can't help but wonder: would William, as direct heir of the British Crown and future King of Great Britain, have been allowed to marry a mulatto woman? Would the British royals have swallowed the idea of a future mulatto King or Queen? My guess is in the negative. ;D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 06:54:11 AM by Florestan »
"The score is not a bible, and I am never afraid to dare. The music is behind those dots." - Vladimir Horowitz

Spineur

« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2018, 07:57:12 AM »
And the music at the royal wedding ?
British teenage cellist Kanneh-Mason played three pieces accompanied by an orchestra: "Apres un Reve" by French composer Gabriel Faure, "Sicilienne" by Maria Theresia von Paradis and Schubert's "Ave Maria".

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2018, 08:20:58 AM »
And the music at the royal wedding ?
British teenage cellist Kanneh-Mason played three pieces accompanied by an orchestra: "Apres un Reve" by French composer Gabriel Faure, "Sicilienne" by Maria Theresia von Paradis and Schubert's "Ave Maria".

To my everlasting shame, I overheard a moment of the "Ave Maria" and thought to myself "Wtf --- do they play funeral music on this occasion?" only to realize the very second after what it really was...  :-[

And yet I dare call myself an unrepentant and unabashed Schubertian...  :laugh:

Oh, and was that really a Coptic bishop delivering a short sermon?

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2018, 08:58:29 AM »
What did Camilla have on her head????
+1

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2018, 09:03:44 AM »
I've caught on TV the very moment when they were sworn in as husband and wife, then some glimpses of their carriage tour of Windsor. Nice. Wish them happiness and all the best --- just as I wish each and every just married couple.

Still, I can't help but wonder: would William, as direct heir of the British Crown and future King of Great Britain, have been allowed to marry a mulatto woman? Would the British royals have swallowed the idea of a future mulatto King or Queen? My guess is in the negative. ;D
I'm not sure, although the Royal Family's survival is connected with their ability to move with the times.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2018, 09:16:04 AM »
the Royal Family's survival is connected with their ability to move with the times.

Moving with the times might very well mean Mr. Charles* William Windsor-Mountbatten being elected --- or rather not --- as the 1st President of the Second British Republic.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

*Given Lizzie's longevity, Charles' reign will probably last just the time needed to sign his abdication in William's favor...  ;D AFAIC, he's more than welcome, though, to be crowned as Charles III of Romania.  :P

Offline Sammy

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach and Boris Tchaikovsky
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2018, 01:31:42 PM »
I don't recall any modernist music being played at the royal event.  Why not?