Author Topic: World Cup 2018  (Read 2944 times)

Offline springrite

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Lots of Bach, Brian, Mahler, Rubbra, Beethoven and Buddhist chants
Re: World Cup 2018
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2018, 05:05:58 PM »
England just pulled off a small miracle, so maybe they will be in the mix after all. Or have I jinxed it?! :)

I think you have grossly over-estimated your influence.  ;)
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2018, 08:17:31 PM »
I'll be rooting for the Icelandic team. Really.

I understand that.
I'd like to see Belgium perform well, too, because they are our neighbours, and IMHO potentially they have the best squad. The problem with them is that there is always some problem with internal f(r)actions. Their 2nd half against Panama was alright though.
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2018, 09:35:08 PM »
I understand that.
I'd like to see Belgium perform well, too, because they are our neighbours, and IMHO potentially they have the best squad. The problem with them is that there is always some problem with internal f(r)actions. Their 2nd half against Panama was alright though.

Belgium are invariably a good side.

A team from their past featured one of my favourite footballer's names:

Julien Cools

Not to mention Jan Ceulemans (in the same Belgian side I think).

Definitely the most trendy names in the History of the World Cup.

:)

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2018, 09:38:29 PM »
I think you have grossly over-estimated your influence.  ;)
I agree. There are so many other jinxes that have priority over mine! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2018, 10:50:51 PM »
Belgium are invariably a good side.

A team from their past featured one of my favourite footballer's names:

Julien Cools

Not to mention Jan Ceulemans (in the same Belgian side I think).

Definitely the most trendy names in the History of the World Cup.

:)

Cools was 1970s and Ceulemans (mainly) 1980s. The latter was certainly one of my favourite players, great skills and fighting spirit.
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2018, 11:41:38 PM »
Cools was 1970s and Ceulemans (mainly) 1980s. The latter was certainly one of my favourite players, great skills and fighting spirit.

Thanks!

They were both fine players.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2018, 12:00:21 AM »
Thanks!

They were both fine players.

I have warm and happy memories of the good ole Belgian squad, also because of the legendary commentator Rik de Saedeleer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1LVA64E2o8

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2018, 12:12:38 AM »
I have warm and happy memories of the good ole Belgian squad, also because of the legendary commentator Rik de Saedeleer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1LVA64E2o8

Excellent Marc - he seems to have been inspired by South American football commentators:

My own favourite, and that of many English football fans I suspect, remains this one - 'The Voice of Norway', even though England were on the receiving end of it. Norway had just beaten England 2-1 in a World Cup qualifier:

https://youtu.be/PqZTP8-8wIs

'Maggie Thatcher, can you hear me? Maggie Thatcher your boys took a hell of a beating...'
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 12:15:32 AM by vandermolen »

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2018, 01:42:53 AM »
Excellent Marc - he seems to have been inspired by South American football commentators:

My own favourite, and that of many English football fans I suspect, remains this one - 'The Voice of Norway', even though England were on the receiving end of it. Norway had just beaten England 2-1 in a World Cup qualifier:

https://youtu.be/PqZTP8-8wIs

'Maggie Thatcher, can you hear me? Maggie Thatcher your boys took a hell of a beating...'

Yeah, De Saedeleer was happy to make likewise comments about the Dutch when the situation was appropriate... well, I didn't mind.

Offline epicous

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2018, 07:22:40 AM »
Hard Group

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2018, 12:45:36 PM »
Amazing England result today (6-1 v Panama) but, based on past experience,my fear is that it will raise unrealistic expectations.

Offline marvinbrown

• Veteran member
  • Richard Wagner- The God of Opera!
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2018, 09:02:48 AM »
 my 2 cents:
 After watching Germany's mesmerising win (with one man down!) over Sweden, come on a winning goal in the last 30 seconds of overtime play,  I thought...well the Germanic people did give the world JS Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner, Brahms, Haydn, Kant, Hegel, Enistein,.....etc.etc. so I should expect nothing short of a mesmerising performance by the German team! Argentina is an embarrassment, very poor sportsmanship, England hasn't really been tested, Russia is on a roll,....fun fun fun!

marvin
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 11:18:51 AM by marvinbrown »

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2018, 02:02:08 PM »
my 2 cents:
 After watching Germany's mesmerising win (with one man down!) over Sweden, come on a winning goal in the last 30 seconds of overtime play,  I thought...well the Germanic people did give the world JS Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner, Brahms, Haydn, Kant, Hegel, Enistein,.....etc.etc. so I should expect nothing short of a mesmerising performance by the German team! Argentina is an embarrassment, very poor sportsmanship, England hasn't really been tested, Russia is on a roll,....fun fun fun!

marvin

'England hasn't really been tested..' True although victories should give them more confidence than usual - maybe wishful thinking.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
  • Mozart painted by Jean-Baptiste Greuze, 1763-64
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2018, 09:55:26 PM »
my 2 cents:
 After watching Germany's mesmerising win (with one man down!) over Sweden, come on a winning goal in the last 30 seconds of overtime play,  I thought...well the Germanic people did give the world JS Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner, Brahms, Haydn, Kant, Hegel, Enistein,.....etc.etc. so I should expect nothing short of a mesmerising performance by the German team!

Himmelherrgott!

I sincerely hope they won't. I'm sick and tired of Germany winning. No, really, I can't wait for them going home and I hope it''l happen rather sooner than later.  ;D

Your list of luminaries, hmmm... possibly Mozart and Haydn would have enjoyed watching a football match now and then, but the other ones would probably have had only contempt for such a low form of mass entertainment.  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 09:57:09 PM by Florestan »
Music, even in situations of the greatest horror, should never be painful to the ear but should flatter and charm it, and thereby always remain music.. - Mozart

Offline marvinbrown

• Veteran member
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2018, 04:32:16 AM »

'England hasn't really been tested..' True although victories should give them more confidence than usual - maybe wishful thinking.

or worst.... a young team with potential can easily be lulled into a false sense of security. They have to be careful.

marvin

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2018, 05:23:29 AM »

or worst.... a young team with potential can easily be lulled into a false sense of security. They have to be careful.

marvin

Agreed - do I sense impending catastrophe?

Offline springrite

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Lots of Bach, Brian, Mahler, Rubbra, Beethoven and Buddhist chants
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2018, 03:13:31 PM »
Agreed - do I sense impending catastrophe?

I watch sports for catastrophes. They are far more entertaining than glory.  >:D
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2018, 10:05:22 PM »
I watch sports for catastrophes. They are far more entertaining than glory.  >:D

That is quite true Paul!

Offline epicous

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2018, 05:06:50 AM »
Himmelherrgott!

Your list of luminaries, hmmm... possibly Mozart and Haydn would have enjoyed watching a football match now and then,

Austria often loses against Germany, but there was a surprise result  in a pre Cup friendly:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Zy4VIoi6-Fo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Zy4VIoi6-Fo</a>

Offline marvinbrown

• Veteran member
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2018, 11:02:51 AM »

Germany has been eliminated, by a team that had not qualified to the next round.  Life is stranger than fiction. Florestan   8) can sleep well tonight.........