Author Topic: The 2017 Golden Raspberry Awards  (Read 2434 times)

The One

The 2017 Golden Raspberry Awards
« on: December 12, 2017, 02:39:20 AM »
I thought we can post our wasted purchases, streams, pirateds, shares of this year. Disappointments, not living up to the hype, outright bad, marketing baited. Anything you would not deem it worthy whatever it was after a listen and your personal judgement. Might prove more controversial than usual but...

Here are the first three that comes to my mind for myself

Yes, if it was similar to Oscars this one might be one of this year's good discs (after Volodos/Brahms) but in general cannot approach Bolet, Janice Weber, Merzhanov, Hamelin or Fialkowska

Why have I purchased this? A thirst for a new Rachmaninoff?

One of my favorite pieces with one of the worst piano playing. Andsnes, Curzon, Richter, Rubinstein, Schiff... there are so many good recordings for every taste. Sound: yes, performance: no

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: The 2017 Golden Raspberry Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 03:27:47 AM »
The interesting question for me is whether anyone's sure enough to nominate the Mosaiques? Or Beghin. Or Pollini? Or Zimerman? Not me.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Spineur

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 04:40:44 AM »

One of my favorite pieces with one of the worst piano playing. Andsnes, Curzon, Richter, Rubinstein, Schiff... there are so many good recordings for every taste. Sound: yes, performance: no
Presto classical album of the year.
https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/articles/1950--awards-recordings-of-the-year-2017-our-top-10
It wasnt on list of the top album of the year, but I liked this reading, including Giltburg playing.

Offline anothername

• New name no double account .
  • Currently Listening to:
    https://youtu.be/9KsWpuqTYLU
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 04:50:07 AM »
I thought we can post our wasted purchases, streams, pirateds, shares of this year. Disappointments, not living up to the hype, outright bad, marketing baited. Anything you would not deem it worthy whatever it was after a listen and your personal judgement. Might prove more controversial than usual but...

Here are the first three that comes to my mind for myself

Yes, if it was similar to Oscars this one might be one of this year's good discs (after Volodos/Brahms) but in general cannot approach Bolet, Janice Weber, Merzhanov, Hamelin or Fialkowska

Two of the best recording from the year.

The One

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 05:14:30 AM »
Don't you have your own disappointments?

Spineur

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 05:44:39 AM »
In term of music, George Bizet Clovis et Clothilde, a cantata he wrote at the age of 18 for his prix de Rome.  I was warned this was not good, but as a Bizet afficianado, I decided to check it anyway

I would say that the combined talents of Montserrat Caballé and J-C Casadesus did not manage to salvage this work.

In term of vocal recital, the CD was voted best recital of the year by the website Resmusica.net (clef d'or) but it was among my few flops of 2017.

Probably because I dont care for Dvorak Cypress cycle a youthful work (B11) on uninspired verses by the Czech poet Vítězslav Hálek.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 05:46:42 AM by Spineur »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
    ...Mist floating above the lake...
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 06:22:18 AM »

Nah, we’re too busy telling you how great that Dvorak recording is. :) I have only heard the Piano Quintet performance and enjoyed it immensely. I thought Giltburg’s pianism was absolutely first-rate.
“I love music passionately. And because I love it I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it.” - Claude Debussy

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 06:27:01 AM »
I actually was disappointed with the Beghin..... and Egarr's Goldberg Variations, and Hamelin's Symphonic Etudes, and Chailly's Brahms 1 & 2..... but I feel bad calling them out for it because they all tried really hard and made a good effort!!!

Also I honestly thought the Pavel Haas Qt Dvořák was not that special, especially listening to it right after the Vlach Qt/Klanský recording on Naxos, but they also made a really good try!!

The One

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 06:36:04 AM »
Very glad to hear that you have a recording that you enjoy that much.

Could you elaborate these boldened descriptors in an objective manner so that I can understand them, too? Maybe I could listen to it again in a different light then. What constitues a "great" recording for you? What makes you "enjoy" a recording immensely? How would you describe "pianism" of Giltburg with common words? Which features should a pianist or a piano performance carry for you to rate "first"?
Nah, we’re too busy telling you how great that Dvorak recording is. :) I have only heard the Piano Quintet performance and enjoyed it immensely. I thought Giltburg’s pianism was absolutely first-rate.

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 04:21:18 PM »
Vartolo, Lorregian et al., playing the complete Frescobaldi (Tactus set). I listened to every damn one of those 12 discs. While there are some very beautiful instruments and some virtuoisic playing, the music is just dull, dull, dull IMO. And I love music from this period and country. What a snoooze-fest.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Offline anothername

• New name no double account .
    https://youtu.be/9KsWpuqTYLU
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 09:02:55 PM »

Actually....NO, I don't buy things I don't like  .

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 11:37:07 PM »
I actually was disappointed with the Beghin..... and Egarr's Goldberg Variations,

The concepts are original and not silly. Food for the intellect. For me that's enough, more than enough in fact.

(I'll check Hamelin's Schumann etudes , There was one Schumann thing by him that I thought was special, but I can't remember what it was.) 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 11:39:06 PM by Mandryka »

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 12:43:34 AM »
Added the Dvorak Quintets CD to my Tidal favorites.  The great thing about streaming is that it makes the buy calculation easy: would I miss this if it disappeared from the service (which does happen now and then).

Offline aukhawk

• Frankie
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 07:19:58 AM »

There was this:

Just about the opposite of good Scarlatti pianism for me, and not a very pleasant recording quality either.
To be fair, I should have been warned off by the cover picture  ::)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
    ...Mist floating above the lake...
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 07:30:39 AM »
Very glad to hear that you have a recording that you enjoy that much.

Could you elaborate these boldened descriptors in an objective manner so that I can understand them, too? Maybe I could listen to it again in a different light then. What constitues a "great" recording for you? What makes you "enjoy" a recording immensely? How would you describe "pianism" of Giltburg with common words? Which features should a pianist or a piano performance carry for you to rate "first"?

I have a ton of recordings that I love. As I mentioned, I don’t own this disc and I just heard the Piano Quintet from it. Telling you why I enjoyed it is like describing to you why I enjoy chocolate ice cream --- I just do. Giltburg’s pianism is excellent because he’s a sensitive, well-rounded musician. A ‘great’ recording is any recording that moves me emotionally/intellectually. It’s all pretty simple: you like what you hear or you don’t, but, sometimes, when you read comments that are positive while yours is negative, you go back and listen again and you either enjoy it that time or you don’t. It’s a completely subjective thing and there’s no harm in saying you dislike something. None of us like the same things. And, of course, I was just joking around with you when I wrote (hence the smiley emoticon):

Nah, we’re too busy telling you how great that Dvorak recording is. :)

“I love music passionately. And because I love it I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it.” - Claude Debussy

The One

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 01:59:04 AM »
It’s a completely subjective thing and there’s no harm in saying you dislike something. None of us like the same things. And, of course, I was just joking around with you when I wrote (hence the smiley emoticon):
Of course. Hence my positive response.

The One

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 02:03:50 AM »

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 02:14:51 AM »
The concepts are original and not silly. Food for the intellect. For me that's enough, more than enough in fact.
I know, they had such good ideas, it's just that I was like.... bored when listening to them.... but I don't wanna be like "this was bad" lol.

The same with certain music—like I got the five volumes of Clementi piano sonatas played by Maria Tipo, and part of me was like "Mozart was right this is boring AF" but I still added them to my collection because maybe I'll come to appreciate Clementi later in life as has happened with some other composers.

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 06:43:29 AM »
Gardiner's Mendelssohn. Agressively unpleasant interpretations; rushed instead of exciting... and woefully boring. Astonishing how they fared so well in the prize-giving circles. Not that I was surprised that Gramophone gushed, of course. Rule Britannia...

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2017, 01:22:12 PM »
I know, they had such good ideas, it's just that I was like.... bored when listening to them.... but I don't wanna be like "this was bad" lol.

The same with certain music—like I got the five volumes of Clementi piano sonatas played by Maria Tipo, and part of me was like "Mozart was right this is boring AF" but I still added them to my collection because maybe I'll come to appreciate Clementi later in life as has happened with some other composers.

I've never managed to get to the end of a Clementi sonata.