Author Topic: 25 wonderful CDs, for a charity donation of £50 to Amnesty International  (Read 491 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
I rip CDs and then give them to charity, but I thought I'd try something else. Instead of giving them to charity I'm going to try to raise money for Amnesty International here. There are no shops for AI and they're one of my favourite charities.

Here's the deal. If you're interested in this bundle of  CDs you can have the lot for £2 per item -- there are 25 items so that makes £50. You either arrange for shipping or you pay the costs. I will give your £50 to Amnesty International.

They've never been played by me -- only ripped once. So the condition should be fine -- many were bought new, some were from resellers but all have ripped fine and the booklets are fine.

These descriptions are, I hope, sufficient to identify the recordings.

Only the bundle, I'm not splitting them.

If there are no takers by 1st January 2018 I'll take them to a charity shop.

Jane Chapman -- Bauyn Manuscript (2 CDs)
Kuijken on Olive music -- John Jenkins
Binkley -- Camino de Santiago
Rose Consort -- Adoramus Te
Jaochim Vogelsanger -- The Young Bach (Luneburg)
Gothic Voices -- Earlierst songbook in England
Pierlot on Flora -- Lawes
Stembridge -- Frescobaldi
Pierlot etc -- "Strike the Viol"
Jill Feldman -- Trecento
Lydia Maria Blank -- Pasquini
Theorema -- John Jenkins and his friend Lawes
Kolner Violen Consort -- Purcell
Kolner Violen Consort -- Lusikalische Lustgarten
Coudurier -- Lubeck
Metamorphoses -- Josquin Messa Gaudeamus
Quatuor Diotima -- Lachenmann and Nono
Rose Consort -- Ward
Robero Gini etc -- Henry Butler
Johanna Valencia -- What if a Day
Pierlot etc -- John Jenkins
Ablitzer -- Ecole du Nord
Coudurier -- CU3
Werner Jacob -- EMI box of 10 Bach CDs  -- classed as one item

If you're interested please PM me.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 11:14:00 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline ørfeo

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
Re: 25 wonderful CDs, for a charity donation of £50 to Amnesty International
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 02:29:45 PM »
In most countries, keeping a rip of CDs you have not kept is illegal.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline DaveF

Nowhere in Mandryka's post does he say he keeps the rips.
"Just because I like something, it doesn't mean it's any good."

Offline ørfeo

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
Nowhere in Mandryka's post does he say he keeps the rips.

...so you're suggesting that he rips the CDs, gives the CDs to charity, and then deletes the rips?

Good luck with that interpretation. In particular, good luck in explaining why the rips are even mentioned.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Baron Scarpia

In most countries, keeping a rip of CDs you have not kept is illegal.

"Illegal" may be overstating it. A violation of the licensing agreement. I don't sell CDs I've ripped because it goes against my personal desire to support recording artists. I keep them as a backup (stripped of the bulky jewel cases, just the disc and booklet).

Offline ørfeo

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
"Illegal" may be overstating it.

I wasn't intending to suggest it was criminal. "Illegal" is deliberately a vaguer term. It is generally contrary to law because it is generally a breach of copyright, and the remedy for a breach of copyright is that you can be sued.

Reportedly (i.e. according to two articles I've just seen), the law in the UK is even tougher, and doesn't even allow ripping for personal use. But even with proposed changes to the law, the intent of laws allowing format-shifting is that you cannot dispose of the original and keep the rip. Whether you give it away, rather than selling it, is not to the point. The issue is not you making money, the issue is you preventing a sale that would have made the copyright holder money. They can sue you for the lost sale.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 05:12:40 AM by ørfeo »

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member

Reportedly (i.e. according to two articles I've just seen), the law in the UK is even tougher, and doesn't even allow ripping for personal use. But even with proposed changes to the law, the intent of laws allowing format-shifting is that you cannot dispose of the original and keep the rip. Whether you give it away, rather than selling it, is not to the point. The issue is not you making money, the issue is you preventing a sale that would have made the copyright holder money. They can sue you for the lost sale.

But if the CD is practically unavailable (OOP), this doesn't hold true, because there is no sale to prevent. Whether you share the rip or give the CD away, the copyright holder isn't deprived of anything, because you would not be able to acquire it in a way, which would ensure him his fee. And even if you acquired the CD second hand (ebay or AMP e.g.), the copyright holder would earn nothing.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline ørfeo

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
But if the CD is practically unavailable (OOP), this doesn't hold true, because there is no sale to prevent. Whether you share the rip or give the CD away, the copyright holder isn't deprived of anything, because you would not be able to acquire it in a way, which would ensure him his fee. And even if you acquired the CD second hand (ebay or AMP e.g.), the copyright holder would earn nothing.

This may well be true in practice, but the law is generally not subtle enough to say that if the copyright holder fails to make a product available, copying the product becomes okay.

It might affect the amount you can be sued for. It does not, as far as I’m aware, affect the basic principle that you’re not supposed to be making copies.

Offline Baron Scarpia

Well, the copyright holder may want to wait until demand has built up before re-releasing material, and unauthorized distribution will short-circuit that process, depriving the copywriter owner of future sales.

The technicalities of the law are beyond me, but my own personal rule is if I bought the audio recordings I am allowed to listen to them in any format which is convenient. If I have transferred the recording to someone else (by selling or as a gift) I'm not allowed to use any digital copies I've made.

I allow myself two exceptions. Sometimes I keep a digital copy somewhere in case I am tempted to buy it again, I can remind myself why I didn't like it. I have one or two things that I downloaded without authorization because they have been OOP for 20 years or more and I have failed to find acceptable used copies after great effort. The only items in the second category that I can remember is the set of organ works on Philips by Rubsam and dome discs of Faure piano music recorded by Doyen on Erato.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 06:37:12 AM by Baron Scarpia »

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
Well, the copyright holder may want to wait until demand has built up before re-releasing material, and unauthorized distribution will short-circuit that process, depriving the copywriter owner of future sales.

This may be true of relatively new recordings (up to maybe 15 years old), but the older the recording is, the less is the chance that it will be rereleased, particularly if it is about a smaller very specialized label, and if the original release was on vinyl. And how long are we supposed to wait?
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline ørfeo

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
Re: 25 wonderful CDs, for a charity donation of £50 to Amnesty International
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 01:11:10 PM »
Technically you’re supposed to wait until the copyright term is over.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK