Author Topic: Books, videos, media on environmentalism, environmental issues  (Read 43 times)

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
Books, videos, media on environmentalism, environmental issues
« on: December 12, 2017, 04:03:53 PM »
I have been roped into teaching a class on this topic. Actually, I was given a choice, but I want to teach a new class for some added variety (also taught a new upper-division microbio class last semester). Also, the department was at a loss and asked me--never hurts to help out your dept chair.

It is an upper-division elective for majors and non-majors. Although I care deeply about these issues, and am a bit of a tree-hugger, I really am behind the curve for teaching this class. I worked in environmental consulting nearly 20 years ago, but it is not really my area of expertise. We have a text, and I have slides from the previous instructor, but I want some reading materials beside these, and a variety of videos to show in class--this in addition to the peer-reviewed scientific literature of course. THe course is a lecture/discussion, so I do not plan to lecture more than 50% of the time. Field trips, group discussions, presentations, and the like will figure in prominently.

Anything on:

Climate change, deforestation/habitat loss, coral reef bleaching, ocean acidification the National park system, overpopulation, war, pollution (plastics, eutrophication, heavy metals, nuclear and chemical waste, etc), Clean Air/Water Acts, NEPA, CEQA, Paris Climate Accord, U.N. efforts, etc, etc, are all of interest.

Who is interested in these issues and what do you recommend? Thanks (you freakin' environmental nazi tree-hugger commie scum!)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 04:09:12 PM by XB-70 Valkyrie »
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK