Author Topic: Gombrich's story of art - about classical music  (Read 403 times)

Offline Daimonion

Gombrich's story of art - about classical music
« on: January 12, 2018, 02:44:24 AM »
Dear All,

I hope you don't mind such a basic/general question. Is there anything - in the field of classical music - comparable to E.H. Gombrich's The story of art? I mean one volume book which can be read by somebody new to the field, but which would be (at the same time) serious. With regards,

Daimonion

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: Gombrich's story of art - about classical music
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 03:34:27 AM »
Haven't read it myself but looks a possibility:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0099587173/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

I have, however, read the Gombrich book or parts of it as a student. The Story of Music may be less 'academic' but possibly still useful.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 03:37:18 AM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Monsieur Croche

• Veteran member
Re: Gombrich's story of art - about classical music
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 12:24:47 AM »
I recommend the two (slim) volumes of the Penguin history of classical music.  They give a great overview, from the earliest era, the medieval, at least up to and through the 19th century.  Since they are still in circulation, later editions might just have been revised with added chapters for the 20th century to present.

Even without that possible revision-addition, they are very informative, 'readable' and if they go into the theory of music, harmony, etc, that is still readily accessible to the layman neophyte, that audience kept well in mind when they were written

Best regards.
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~