Author Topic: Your vinyl LP buying habits...  (Read 688 times)

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
Your vinyl LP buying habits...
« on: January 27, 2018, 07:58:43 PM »
For those of you who buy vinyl, do you actively search for new/used items? (If so, where?) How many do you add per month on average? OR, are you no longer expanding your collection?

I finally joined Ebay and bought a Julie London LP (All Through the Night), and was browsing a bunch of other stuff I've been wanting.

I stop by a few local record stores and browse the latest new and used offerings on a regular basis. We visit Berkeley and the SF Bay Area a couple of times a year and make the rounds there. I buy an LP online occasionally. I would say I add maybe 15-20 new discs per year in recent years. I digitized 35 LPs last year. Each one takes about 2 hrs from start to finish, and I stop by my audio dealer every other month or so to clean new acquisitions before playing. So, it's not as if I have time to clean, listen to, and digitize tons of new acquisitions. Most of my new music comes on CD anyway, and I have too many discs I need to listen to as it is.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 08:03:35 PM by XB-70 Valkyrie »
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Baron Scarpia

Re: Your vinyl LP buying habits...
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 08:56:39 PM »
My most recent LP transactions involved hauling about 300 pounds of vinyl to the curb, where it was picked up by our garbage collector. I was fortunate to live in a municipality where whatever you leave gets collected. You don't have to pay extra when your trash is more than one full bin.

Offline Elk

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 03:56:48 AM »
Buying vinyl doesn't happen much for me anymore, though a friend of mine and me went through many 1000s last year donated to "The Friends of the Library" which were in storage, and we bought a bunch. Mostly, I am given records by people who are divesting themselves because age or a death.

I still play a lot of vinyl because my records are in such generally excellent shape and my playback system is of such excellent quality (circa 1975)(Technics SL1100/ Denon DL103 floating on a board covered, partially inflated bicycle inner tube), I cannot justify replacing them. Besides, I'm frugal (read: cheap), and many favourite albums have never been issued on CD.

Aren't rationalisations wonderful?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 06:51:38 AM by Elk »

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 12:20:20 PM »
I went thru a rather manic period of record buying in the 2000s, with many day trips up to Record Surplus and Amoeba Hollywood.  These days I'm too lazy to clean the damn things (I have a VPI machine and a Nitty Gritty with a leaky fluid tank in the closet).  And truth be told, I probably collected a lot of junk.  I can't say that I'm ready to haul them to the trash, though. 

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 12:51:52 PM »
I can't say that I'm ready to haul them to the trash, though.

It was cathartic. Most intense enjoyment I ever got from them! :)

I kept about a dozen. Most cherished, the Smithsonian collection of classic jazz.

Offline Archaic Torso of Apollo

• Veteran member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 02:00:11 PM »
I've pretty much stopped buying, but I went thru a semi-orgy of LP buying a few years ago, after I bought my turntable.

My main sources:

Irvington Music in Oregon (thanks for the rec, Todd)
Discogs
Reckless Records in Chicago (my main non-online source, tho' they also do online orders)
and the audio dealer where I bought my system, which had a big stock of classical LPs due to the death of a large-scale collector.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

ComposerOfAvantGarde

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 02:52:09 PM »
When I have some spare change I like to fish around in the second hand classical section of the local vinyl shop where they are mostly A$1. Recently I found a pretty nice record of some Ravel and Mussorgsky's Pictures from an Exhibition. I rarely buy new pressings because they cost around fifty times as much.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 04:41:12 AM »
Very occasionally I buy LPs - like Honegger's 2nd and 3rd Symphony on DGG (Karajan). It has a much better cover (drawing of Honegger) than any of the CDs, which tend to feature photos of Karajan, which I can do without.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 06:36:04 AM »
[...] which tend to feature photos of Karajan, which I can do without.

Oh, how can you say that, Jeffrey0:) :) 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 12:22:56 PM »
Oh, how can you say that, Jeffrey0:) :) 8)
He looks like he's doing the Nazi salute on some of them.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).