Author Topic: Has anyone met any of the musicians at a concert or recital  (Read 2457 times)

Offline Judith

• Currently Listening to:
    Love most composers but especially Brahms & Schumann
Has anyone met any of the musicians at a concert or recital
« on: February 03, 2018, 05:13:34 AM »
So far met

Boris Giltburg
Craig Ogden
Steven Isserlis (twice)
Endellion String Quartet
Stephen Hough
Joshua Bell

They were all lovely and got autographs from them :)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 09:13:55 AM by Judith »

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Re: Has anyone met any of the musicians at a concert or recital
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 05:44:19 AM »
It is a bit difficult for me to work out exactly how this works, because meeting musicians and composers usually happens more away from their concerts and recitals when they don't have to be 'on show'. Some of my most memorable meetings and conversations with musicians and composers were in CD shops or even just passing by on the street. Just last week I met a percussionist (who founded a really remarkable percussion ensemble in my city) who lives in my area whom I haven't really spoken to for about seven years..........and it was just a pleasant coincidence that we happened to be walking along the same street at the same time. He is off to perform some exciting new music by Liza Lim at Darmstadt in the middle of the year and it was wonderful to know that he is happy to keep in communication.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 06:25:31 AM »
I met the Kronos Quartet, and Chick Corea, after concerts in Tallinn.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 06:43:35 AM »
I met GMG member Allan "ToledoBass" after a Bruckner Eighth Symphony concert by the Toledo Symphony  some years ago.  0:)

COWBOY (sitting down to a poker game for the first time): "Is this a game of chance?!"

- W. C. FIELDS  (as Cuthbert Twillie): "Uhh, not the way I play it, no." in  My Little Chickadee.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 06:50:18 AM »
Cool.  Wish I might meet him  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Online NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 09:01:18 AM »
At the end of the evening after a concert (Ravel G major) I walked past Bavouzet and without stopping said to him "That was cool. Cheers", and he replied with a "Thank you" accompanied by a little almost bow of his head. A charmer.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • La création du monde (Fernand Léger)
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 09:55:41 AM »
Mainly composers in my case:

- Pierre Boulez twice. The first time in Bayreuth in 1979–I was a teenager at the time—, at the restaurant of my hotel in one of the days between installments of the Ring. I went up to my room to fetch a poster of the festival I had bought (which has a portrait of Wagner and his signature), and asked Boulez to sign it for me. He looked at me, grinned and said “Avec plaisir. I’ll sign above Wagner” and then proceeded to stamp his minuscule signature below Wagner’s.  :D Needless to say, the poster, also signed by other of the artists of that summer (Edo de Waart, Gwyneth Jones, Harry Kupfer and many more) hangs in a place of honor on my walls. I talked to him briefly again after he conducted Le marteau... here in Madrid in 1992. He was utterly charming.

- Olivier Messiaen: After a performance of Harawi (a work I really don’t care for at all) with Sigune von Osten and Yvonne Loriod here in Madrid. He also signed the program for me.

- Charles Wuorinen: After the world premiere of the opera Brokeback Mountain, I could shake the composer’s and librettist Annie Proulx’s hands and thank them for their work. Both were very nice (no signing of program though—each was holding bottles of champagne in their hands).

- Cristóbal Halffter: I was seated right behind him at the premiere of his SQ No. 8. My daughter and I got to talk to him briefly.

- Michaël Levinas: After a superb recital in which he played Beethoven, Tristan Murail and his own music. Backstage, he was surrounded by a small group of people who were treating him on a first name basis and it seemed he didn’t have the foggiest idea of who they were. He looked quite relieved when I approached him and immediately engaged in conversation with me. He signed my copy of the 10 CD set (“Double face”) that covers his work as composer and as pianist. A very nice person.

- Peter Eötvös: After a Boulez / Stockhausen / Eötvös concert in the Spanish National Music Auditorium. He signed my copy of the Glyndebourne recording of his opera Love and other Demons.

Conductors I’ve chatted to after concerts include Stanislaw Skrowaczewski and Eliahu Inbal, and I had a long and cordial conversation with Mariss Jansons at a cocktail party the Latvian embassy in Madrid (I was one of the few present who had a real interest in music, so that was an easy one  ;)).

Cheers,
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 10:15:33 AM by ritter »
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
”Sólo lo difícil es estimulante; sólo la resistencia que nos reta, es capaz de enarcar, suscitar y mantener nuestra potencia de conocimiento”.

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 10:13:01 AM »
I met GMG member Allan "ToledoBass" after a Bruckner Eighth Symphony concert by the Toledo Symphony  some years ago.  0:)

Cool.  Wish I might meet him  8)

I believe he has changed careers from bassist in a symphony orchestra to counselor out in LaLaLand.
COWBOY (sitting down to a poker game for the first time): "Is this a game of chance?!"

- W. C. FIELDS  (as Cuthbert Twillie): "Uhh, not the way I play it, no." in  My Little Chickadee.

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 12:02:48 PM »
I'm a bit too shy, or maybe I should say I'm always thinking to myself "leave those artists in peace, you twit."

So, last year, I was talking to another concert-goer in the Martinikerk in Groningen, NL, whilst Masaaki Suzuki was standing next to me. I just nodded and smiled to him, and kept on talking with the other bloke, who was constantly trying to give me non-verbal signs like "that's THE MASAAKI SUZUKI you are ignoring, you twit."

Anyway, with organ concerts, it's not very strange to have a little chat with the performers afterwards. The most funny one was with Leo van Doeselaar, about 3 years ago, who was talking to a few very serious (probably calvinistic ;)) people about Bach, chorals, religious meaning and whatever, when I entered the conversation with a Monty Python quote which made Van Doeselaar laugh like crazy, and after that he and I kept on talking and laughing loudly about Python and silly British humour. The serious people slowly withdrew from the conversation.

My former girlfriend sang in a very good amateur choir, and the young (and talented :)) Peter Dijkstra was their conductor. After one of their concerts we drank some beers in the pub, blabbering about music, and later, when I was waiting for the train home he also appeared on the platform with a folding bicycle, travelling back home (to Zwolle it was then, I think). So we kinda wished each other goodnight and sweet dreams.

I also had a very friendly conversation (together with the same former girlfriend) with Minnesota Orchestra principal trumpet Manny Laureano, before a Mahler 5 concert in the Concertgebouw Amsterdam in August 2006. Very enthousiastic man. We were sitting behind the brass section and afterwards, during the cheers and applause he turned around to us again and shouted "HOW DID YOU LIKE IT?" and I screamed "I HAD THE TIME OF MY LIFE!" and he shouted back "ME, TOO!"

But the best talk I had with professional musicians after a concert was with members of the Northern Irish punkband The Undertones. Together with my best friend we laughed, cried and went utterly drunk together. Great.

I don't have photographs or signatures to prove all this, though.
Somehow I've never been the "can I have your autograph" (he said to the fat blond actress...) type of guy.
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

ComposerOfAvantGarde

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 02:45:57 PM »
Those are some excellent anecdotes, Marc! Choral singing is something I love to do; it would be amazing to have Dijkstra as a chorus master because I admire his work a lot!

Also, I just remembered I met one of my favourite composers/conductors Brett Dean at some kind of function in Sydney four years ago and we ended up talking a lot about his operas, approaches to composition and how one balances it with performing.

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 03:18:24 PM »
Hard to answer since I feel like most of the people I know are musicians :/ I've certainly met lots of people at after-concert receptions, parties, signing events at concerts (the famous-ish ones are Mitsuko Uchida, Ragna Schirmer, Alexander Melnikov, Milton Babbitt, Esa-Pekka Salonen, Olga Neuwirth, Peter Maxwell Davies, Osmo Vänskä, John Adams, Peter Schickele, Ned Rorem, John Corigliano, Oliver Knussen, Thomas Adès and possibly others I don't remember) but that tends to be a one-off thing.

When I was at uni I was in Brighton with several members of the Britten Sinfonia and we wandered around and got milkshakes and they discussed people I'd never met or heard of whilst I nodded knowingly and said things such as "Wow, that sounds awful." Then I got food poisoning and spent the next three days throwing up and missed two concerts. I guess stay away from milkshakes.

Uh I guess my mom kind of knows Joshua Bell's mom, in the sending christmas cards once a year sense? Apparently they met, had a long conversation and exchanged details at a concert where he was playing (I was not present). For a long time whenever I'd write a violin piece she would be like "you should send this to Bell, he would love it!" Uh thanks mom I'm sure he doesn't have a busy schedule at all or anything

ComposerOfAvantGarde

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 06:32:59 PM »
Hard to answer since I feel like most of the people I know are musicians :/ I've certainly met lots of people at after-concert receptions, parties, signing events at concerts (the famous-ish ones are Mitsuko Uchida, Ragna Schirmer, Alexander Melnikov, Milton Babbitt, Esa-Pekka Salonen, Olga Neuwirth, Peter Maxwell Davies, Osmo Vänskä, John Adams, Peter Schickele, Ned Rorem, John Corigliano, Oliver Knussen, Thomas Adès and possibly others I don't remember) but that tends to be a one-off thing.

When I was at uni I was in Brighton with several members of the Britten Sinfonia and we wandered around and got milkshakes and they discussed people I'd never met or heard of whilst I nodded knowingly and said things such as "Wow, that sounds awful." Then I got food poisoning and spent the next three days throwing up and missed two concerts. I guess stay away from milkshakes.

Uh I guess my mom kind of knows Joshua Bell's mom, in the sending christmas cards once a year sense? Apparently they met, had a long conversation and exchanged details at a concert where he was playing (I was not present). For a long time whenever I'd write a violin piece she would be like "you should send this to Bell, he would love it!" Uh thanks mom I'm sure he doesn't have a busy schedule at all or anything

:laugh: Those 'kind of knows' can be pretty funny I guess. A friend of a friend's boyfriend is Teodor Currentzis, which is an interesting little fact but only recently did I realise how well known he is. Being surrounded by people who do music creates a lot of grey areas as to which people are famous enough to really get excited as a fan about......and which people are seen as mentors, friends, acquaintances etc.

Curiously, what was the story behind meeting Neuwirth?

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 06:48:35 PM »
I was living in New York at the time and she showed up to a mutual friend’s Chanukah party because she happened to be in town for a concert at the Miller Theatre (Columbia University). So I said congratulations on the concert I heard it went really well and she said thank you and we chatted for like 3 minutes about what she was working on next and how going overseas for concerts always sucks and then she excused herself to get some more latkes. Basically it was the very typical meeting someone at a party thing. Also I felt bad for not being more sociable but I was not the worlds most communicative 20 year old

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 06:56:36 PM »
Peter Pears
Ossian Ellis
Ernst Krenek(composer)

Those are the relatively famous ones. Krenek is the only one I shook hands with.

Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline (poco) Sforzando

• Veteran member
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 07:18:37 PM »
I know we've had this kind of thread before. I'd have to dig up what I wrote there. But among the more famous composers I've briefly talked to were Boulez and Carter.

I've had some acquaintance with Charles Rosen, one of whose graduate classes in contemporary criticism I took in the early 1970s.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 07:23:10 PM by (poco) Sforzando »
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 07:42:52 PM »
Not so many, or nearly so famous, as others here.

Pavel Haas Quartet
Vasily Petrenko
Hannu Lintu and Helene Grimaud (they were together)
Jakub Hrusa

Plus a Houston Symphony member after a concert who said hello and then hopped on a motorcycle and dropped off.

I am not counting people I have interviewed for stories (Alisa Weilerstein, Penelope Crawford).

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 08:38:41 PM »
Do dead ones count? I met J.S. Bach in Leipzig at Thomaskirche in 2011. Left a flower on his grave.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Offline Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 10:59:04 PM »
When I was a student (years ago) my teacher arranged for us to get into the green room. The ones I remember were Joshua Bell, for seeming like a nice and very down-to-earth guy, and Christopher Parkening. I don’t actually remember much about the conversation with the latter, but I remember he gave my friend a cassette, which turned out to be a recording of Parkening discussing his relationship with his personal savior, Jesus Christ.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2018, 12:47:24 AM »
I was living in New York at the time and she showed up to a mutual friend’s Chanukah party because she happened to be in town for a concert at the Miller Theatre (Columbia University). So I said congratulations on the concert I heard it went really well and she said thank you and we chatted for like 3 minutes about what she was working on next and how going overseas for concerts always sucks and then she excused herself to get some more latkes. Basically it was the very typical meeting someone at a party thing. Also I felt bad for not being more sociable but I was not the worlds most communicative 20 year old

Ah yeah this sounds quite cool and quite normal anyway. :)

Offline GioCar

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2018, 12:56:01 AM »

- Pierre Boulez twice. The first time in Bayreuth in 1979...

Buenos dias Rafael, you saw the Jahrhundertring live in Bayreuth? Very very envious...  :D
I saw many many many Rings, most on video, only two live (Bayreuth 2001 and Milan 2013) and the Boulez/Chereau production still stands above all of them.

TD

I only met and talked personally to Stockhausen and Pollini. Like Marc, I'm a bit shy to talk to famous people even if they are beside me.